The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Even Strength - Sedins should be split up

Pennywise!

I know this has been talked about before and I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse but I really feel the Sedins should be split up at even strength. I know we're playing a more defensive style game under Torts but its very apparent they're on the slow side together and have become too predictable.

Having Henrik centre the first line and Daniel on the wing with Kesler would give both lines a playmaker. Now this could be very effective next season if we can find another scoring winger somehow.

They should only be on the ice together on the Power Play IMO.

(UFA/TRADE) - SEDIN - BURROWS

SEDIN - KESLER - KASSIAN

Why not. It's still better than them doing the same things game in, game out. Torts was always about giving the kids chances anyways, so maybe this could work if the Twins work Burr don't? It's an ugly, scoring-by-committee group but at this point they'll have to take what they can get.

Higgins - Hank - Santorelli/ Dalpe (two of the team's better shots and workers off the rush with the best play-maker)

Daniel - Kes - Kassian (this could be a decent unit, Kes and Kass can open up space in front for Danny)

Booth - Richardson - Weise (gritty, tough play-driving unit that can score some too)

Burr - Dalpe - Hansen (buy-low group, with Hansen setting up two decent shooters)

I think you have to go game by game and see how they are doing. I don't know what it is now with the Sedins but feel like when they play together they tend to overpass.

It's like they are both hesitant to pull the trigger and by the time they do its too late. I remember when Henrik was playing without Daniel, cuse he had a broken foot, he would shoot so much more (19 goals that season) and continued to even when Daniel came back. This is key because I feel now D just playoff Henrik and target Daniel cuse they know he is not going to shoot.

Sedins shoulld be traded, together, to Edmonton, to help their youngsters and for Vancouver to get some talent. Sedins and the dispensible Burrows ...a whole experienced, decent line, for Edmonton and send the Canucks, Nugent-Hopkins (BC boy) and Gagner and we can talk about a "D" to get Shultz..... maybe Bieksa or Stanton or Weber ....hmmmmmmmm.

Well, they've been split up this season at times and we know it works in certain situations against certain teams. But as we know now, splitting the Sedins won't be the ultimate solution to our current problems.

At this point, try anything ... put them on D and move Bieksa and Edler to the big circle!!! Anything to score a few more goals. ;)

Sedins shoulld be traded, together, to Edmonton, to help their youngsters and for Vancouver to get some talent. Sedins and the dispensible Burrows ...a whole experienced, decent line, for Edmonton and send the Canucks, Nugent-Hopkins (BC boy) and Gagner and we can talk about a "D" to get Shultz..... maybe Bieksa or Stanton or Weber ....hmmmmmmmm.

So basically you want us to give them our stars so we can have their crapty "rebuild?"

Unless you put Kassian with the twins canucks are done, no one can help them more then him. Sorry Burrows is too weak, Kesler doesnt have the hockey sense or the drive. Its actually the most stupid stubbon thing NOT done to make this team competitive. But hey if you like the twins being injured we better get used to it. I dont see any other way in this team making the playoffs and being effective. Been the problem the last 2-3 seasons.

An old argument is whether to coach to player strengths or coach to a system that does not change much. Players adapt their game rather than the other way around. IMHO the Canucks have adapted their persona

to the strengths of the Twins. Totally understandable considering the lack of roster depth that the

Twins developed through. Splitting the Twins earlier in their careers might have made sense as both are

superior puck handlers and each could have anchored a top line. It is what it is. Canucks are primarily a east-west puck possession team. When the deep cycle started to fail, especially against CUP quality d-

cores, the play back to the hard shooting d-core took over. That d-core's offensive numbers usual led

the NHL. The issue is whether Van has the top level talent that can continue to generate offense with

this style. The team has over relied on the Twins offense for the past 3 seasons. Whether a off year or a signal that their roles have to morph towards a 2nd line role is yet to be determined.

The bottom line is that Van's other 3 lines also play a east-west game with far less effectiveness. The recent success of the 4th has been to some extent realized through a north-south approach. In Trevor

Linden's heyday he pursued a north-south game. Kesler has not demonstrated an ability to anchor a

productive 2nd line let alone ascend to led a 1st line.

This confusion or single focus game was demonstrated against Nashville. Almost the entire game was

played in the ozone with a east-west movement on the perimeter. Almost no one went to the crease and the goaltender saw almost all shots. A few games ago Sestito was used infront with some success and then

abandoned. Van has experienced coaches so obviously I am missing something.

In any event I still think Van's d-core, although erratic at times, is a good group. The goaltending is

the only reason they are in the playoff mix to date. The issue is up front. Either the forwards are

having a off year as a group or their approach is past a due date. I suspect the latter and therefore am not in favor of trades for prospects or pics to acquire a playoff spot. Hopefully next year Kassian

grabs a top 6 spot and dominates a forward line. He has potential to change the Canucks.

Archived