The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Sportsnet's Hockey Cenral: Should the Canucks consider moving Bo Horvat

Southpop45

Horvat is not the savior of the Canucks... who are you comparing him to on Pittsburgh.. Crosby? Anaheim Getzlaf? Chicago Toews?... You are seriously delusional if you think that.

You said look at Edmonton prospects don't always turnout correct? Those are examples that do in the right upbringing with vets to provide the leadership and guide the way Crosby Toews Landeskog all may be some of the youngest captains in history but look who is involved in the locker rooms at the time and today

You say you want your top six forwards to score, and they didn't. But you're right, he wasn't in the top six. He'd been moved to a more defensive role, and if you're using 3 points in a short tournament as a measuring stick for his offensive talent and potential you're pretty dense.

His 50 points in 35 OHL games would be a better measuring stick considering his best season prior was 61 points in 67 games last season. And he's eligible for another year in junior too boot. I'd say that's looking like something the Canucks could use.

He was moved to the bottom 6 because of his lack of production...spin it anyway you want. Canucks don't need another bottom 6 player that can't score against the strongest competition... Have you not watched the last 3 YEARS.

horvat is likely to be a top end 2C or below average 1C

I would keep him.

I truly think that with 2 moves, the canucks can bridge the gap between their vets and their youth, and be a contender again.

Move #1

a deal involving Edler for ROR without us giving up any of (Bo, hunter, gaunce, casses, fox, corrado, tanev, +-andersson, hutton, McNally, LaBate)

ex:

Edler, Jensen, Schroeder for ROR, 3rd

Move #2

Sign Girardi in the offseason

(I say above market value is 5.75)

Next year (with Booth buyout and Hansen traded for picks)

Kesler ROR Kassian

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Higgins Horvat Santorelli

Sestito Richardsson Dalpe

Hammer Girardi

Garrison Bieksa

Stanton Tanev

Luongo

Lack

Now this is a team that can compete with ANA, CHI, ST, LA

just 2 moves, hope gillis is smart enough to realize this

I would keep him.

I truly think that with 2 moves, the canucks can bridge the gap between their vets and their youth, and be a contender again.

Move #1

a deal involving Edler for ROR without us giving up any of (Bo, hunter, gaunce, casses, fox, corrado, tanev, +-andersson, hutton, McNally, LaBate)

ex:

Move #2

Kesler ROR Kassian

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hammer Girardi

Garrison Bieksa

Stanton Tanev

Luongo

Lack

One of them involves a player Roy is in love with so far from worth his pricetag or cap hit...Girardi again with our defence prospects where they are now is also not needed so if Gillis is truly smart he leaves those both on the table and looks at other options

We aren't rebuilding, they won't be rushed into the lineup at 18/19 years old. They'll play sheltered minutes then work their way up, like Detroit.

Well I rather make some moves as the Kings did two years ago...Like Bringing in a Jeff Carter... maybe Andrew Ladd can do that for us. He is a big body and a Leader playing on a weak team. His production would surely rise playing with the quality of players the Canucks have.

I really don't see any hope in waiting 3 years to see if Horvat can reach his HYPE as a possible 2 line centre... only to come up short and be in the bottom 6.

One of them involves a player Roy is in love with so far from worth his pricetag or cap hit...Girardi again with our defence prospects where they are now is also not needed so if Gillis is truly smart he leaves those both on the table and looks at other options

my god man, if you think Girardi would not help this team, than I am not sure what to say other than you prob do not understand much about hockey

I would keep him.

Move #1

ex:

Move #2

Kesler ROR Kassian

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Hammer Girardi

Garrison Bieksa

Stanton Tanev

Luongo

Lack

It looks pretty good... can't complain... however... where does Gaunce fit in... Can't Horvat be traded and pencil Gaunce in his place? Trade Horvat with the condition that they take Booth now. Gives us a legit shot this year.

He was moved to the bottom 6 because of his lack of production...spin it anyway you want. Canucks don't need another bottom 6 player that can't score against the strongest competition... Have you not watched the last 3 YEARS.

Way to completely disregard everything I've said about his role, point total last season, and point total so far this season. If you'd remove your bias you'd see he's not a bottom six forward as of right now. His future's looking pretty good.

If you're going to base your entire opinion on his production at the world juniors lets take a look at who else didn't put up a point per game for team Canada.

Games/Goals/Assists/Points Nic Petan 7 4 1 5 Sam Reinhart 7 2 3 5 Derrick Pouliot 7 1 4 5 Connor McDavid 7 1 3 4 Bo Horvat 7 1 2 3 Josh Morrissey 7 1 2 3 Griffin Reinhart 4 1 1 2 Aaron Ekblad 7 1 1 2 Charles Hudon 7 1 1 2 Josh Anderson 7 1 0 1 Mathew Dumba 7 0 1 1 Frederik Gauthier 7 0 1 1 Scott Laughton 7 0 1 1 Adam Pelech 7 0 1 1 Chris Bigras 7 0 0 0 Taylor Leier 7 0 0 0 Kerby Rychel 7 0 0 0

Note how Rychel has put up 40 goals the last couple seasons and currently has 52 points in 37 games. 0 points, he's not a top six guy.

Taylor Leier has 46 points in 37 games in the WHL, which is good. And this is just two of the guys who didn't put up a single point.

Sam Reinhart is a potential first overall pick, but he only got a measly 5 points in 7 games. Hmm.

The great McDavid? One more point that Horvat? Tsk, he won't be a top six guy either.

my god man, if you think Girardi would not help this team, than I am not sure what to say other than you prob do not understand much about hockey

Where does that say he wouldent help? I said he is not really needed because that would leave 0 space for prospects that allow Gillis to go into the FA for top6 support since we know Corrado can play and Weber is also a good option...use your head on our current predicament with prospects and what positions we have a hole in

It looks pretty good... can't complain... however... where does Gaunce fit in... Can't Horvat be traded and pencil Gaunce in his place? Trade Horvat with the condition that they take Booth now. Gives us a legit shot this year.

Gaunce will be AHL eligible next season.

Way to completely disregard everything I've said about his role, point total last season, and point total so far this season. If you'd remove your bias you'd see he's not a bottom six forward as of right now. His future's looking pretty good.

If you're going to base your entire opinion on his production at the world juniors lets take a look at who else didn't put up a point per game for team Canada.

Games/Goals/Assists/Points Nic Petan 7 4 1 5 Sam Reinhart 7 2 3 5 Derrick Pouliot 7 1 4 5 Connor McDavid 7 1 3 4 Bo Horvat 7 1 2 3 Josh Morrissey 7 1 2 3 Griffin Reinhart 4 1 1 2 Aaron Ekblad 7 1 1 2 Charles Hudon 7 1 1 2 Josh Anderson 7 1 0 1 Mathew Dumba 7 0 1 1 Frederik Gauthier 7 0 1 1 Scott Laughton 7 0 1 1 Adam Pelech 7 0 1 1 Chris Bigras 7 0 0 0 Taylor Leier 7 0 0 0 Kerby Rychel 7 0 0 0

Note how Rychel has put up 40 goals the last couple seasons and currently has 52 points in 37 games. 0 points, he's not a top six guy.

Taylor Leier has 46 points in 37 games in the WHL, which is good. And this is just two of the guys who didn't put up a single point.

Sam Reinhart is a potential first overall pick, but he only got a measly 5 points in 7 games. Hmm.

The great McDavid? One more point that Horvat? Tsk, he won't be a top six guy either.

Look you are missing the point... the Canucks do not have a defensive problem... they don't need Horvat. Mantha they could use, Forsberg they could use. Andrew, 2 Stanley Cups Ladd, they could use. I don't care how good Defensively Horvat will be in 3 years...we don't need him. We already have Gaunce.

Look you are missing the point... the Canucks do not have a defensive problem... they don't need Horvat. Mantha they could use, Forsberg they could use. Andrew, 2 Stanley Cups Ladd, they could use. I don't care how good Defensively Horvat will be in 3 years...we don't need him. We already have Gaunce.

Really? After I posted his point totals you can't see that he has offensive chops? Just because he's a responsible defensive player doesn't mean he doesn't have offensive talent. He's like a less selfish Kesler, either a low end 1c or a great 2c. And with our top two centers aging we won't need that? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Horvat makes the NHL next season, it's either the bigs or back to junior. He didn't look terribly out of place during the preseason. He'll be even better come next training camp given the rest of the season and a summer of training.

Gaunce has a lower ceiling, and is likely to spend some time seasoning in the AHL with Fox, Jensen and Shinkaruk. We don't need to rush our prospects.

Because Horvat is a DEFENSE FIRST FORWARD with OFFENSIVE and 1st line potential. You don't trade that type of prospect unless you're offered something ridiculous.

3 things I have noticed this season.

1.This is some of the most boring hockey I have seen from the canucks in over a decade- at least in 2006-2007 when they were winning games 2-1, 1-0, the sedins were on the rise and Luongo was unbelievable. Now Edler, sedins, kesler, burrows look like broken down pieces of meat that have had every last drop of useful hockey just about squeezed out of them.

2.When it is exciting, is exciting because it is sloppy - ex tonight, ex, pittsburgh game (if it were not for eddie lack, it would have been 8-4 for pittsburgh)

3.We do not dominate any teams anymore, not even Edmonton, or Calgary.

time for a retool/rebuild

I would be open to trading anyone, except for hamhuis and our prospects.

Horvat is not the savior of the Canucks... who are you comparing him to on Pittsburgh.. Crosby? Anaheim Getzlaf? Chicago Toews?... You are seriously delusional if you think that.

Ladd is not the saviour of the Canucks. Quit overrating him. He isn't close to being worth Horvat. The only one delusional here seems to be you with the way you brush off a great prospect.

Archived