The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Sportsnet's Hockey Cenral: Should the Canucks consider moving Bo Horvat

Southpop45

we trade horvat, and our prospect pool is even worse.

i agree that he, shink, jensen, corrado, etc., are the team's next core, as the sedins, kes, burr, etc., all begin to take secondary roles in the near future.

sedins offensive production is already on the decline THIS season...

I don't think we are with the team as is. We need to be the like the Kings two years ago and make a BOLD move..trade a Horvat and a Edler or a Tanev and then. YES... DAMN RIGHTS... we could be in the Stanley Cup finals. It's a false hope to think that three in a row of Vancouver Canucks draft picks are going to turn out. Look at our draft history. Be realistic the draft is a crap shoot.

yeah, that's true enough. but there's a level of expectancy for your first round picks to pan out. i really think that shink and horvat will pan out, and be nice pieces for the canucks. gaunce, is going to be a third or fourth line centreman. i don't think he's going to be a top six player, on any team. horvat may not be a first line centre, but i think he's going to be a decent second line centreman. who knows? maybe he will develop nicely into a first line centreman....if it's a crapshoot, then we don't know how these young guys will develop...

No contending team is going to give up top level player this year under this cap. Forget Ladd, Kane as the Jets are winning under a new coach and are in a playoff push same as Colorado, not going to give up ROR. Sorry to break he bad news to some people here who want trade our prospects..it aint happening we are in the start of a rebuild and if you don't like it jump on some other teams bandwagon.

Unless Gillis and Co. are looking to make a serious push for the Cup, trading for a legit top 6 forward locked up beyond this year and a third liner like Ott, there is no reason to trade Horvat at this point.

Will Horvat pan out? Who knows. At this point he is only a prospect with potential. However, 9th overall draft picks aren't terrible players. Just ask the Jets how Jacob Trouba is working out for them.

So you don't see any difference between 6'2" and 6'... so what the difference between 5'9 and 6ft. OH...there goes that argument.

Seriously.. you are going to quote Junior numbers as some authority on future NHL performance... geez... come on.... Only if it was that simple... you too could draft for the Canucks. Andrew Ladd by the way is 6ft 3in.... and 2 Stanley Cups.

You saw what Horvat did at the World Juniors against the toughest competition... ZERO points in 5 games....you think it gets easier in the NHL. He is three years away.

I just don't wanna wait... sorry .

Clearly you made that up because Horvat scored 3 points in 7 games while shutting down the team's best line. Would like to see you do that as a 19 year old.

http://stats.hockeycanada.ca/roster_players/4117521?subseason=140707

You are gladly invited to leave if you dont wanna wait for a stud in Bo Horvat...you definitely do not make any difference for our fanbase if you left.

Clearly you made that up because Horvat scored 3 points in 7 games while shutting down the team's best line. Would like to see you do that as a 19 year old.

http://stats.hockeyc...ubseason=140707

You are gladly invited to leave if you dont wanna wait for a stud in Bo Horvat...you definitely do not make any difference for our fanbase if you left.

I guess he misses Toews regular point totals in his playoff life. The best players don't always put up points but this joker likes to argue like it's the end all be all.

Horvat will be a stud, this guy doesn't think so he cannot put up a single argument outside of the world juniors. It is sad and truly rather pathetic, like that clown who swore Gaunce was a bust because he watched a highlight package.

Our Future:

Bo

Hunter

Kass

Shinkarirk

Gaunce

Cassels

Fox

Grenier

Jensen

schroeder - I personally feel he is a bust, I'd love to be surprised though

-all of these guys have a shot at being top 6 forwards some day, some have more of a chance than others

Lain

Labate

Mallet

and some of the guys above would round out the bottom 6

-basically, I am drooling all over ROR and want us to trade Edler + - any 2 of

Hansen

Jensen

Sauve

Tommernes

Mallet

Labate

Lain

2nd

or a 1st + edler if they send us back a second and a third

Kesler ROR kassian -now that would be a "heavy line"

For what it's worth, I see what Claiborne55 is saying, but it was definitely said in the wrong context.

First off: I think that whole thing was missed where the other countries in the world have gotten much better at hockey. Finland was so staunch defensively, you could see the entire Canadian team get frustrated with them. It wasn't just Bo. The team didn't know what to do against the Fins. They kept all the shots to the outside and clogged up the slot area. There wasn't anybody getting a shot thru that defense.

Second: Andrew Ladd has more intangibles that are worth trading for to have in the playoffs. I can see why he would want to trade for him and even include Bo...HOWEVER, TRADING BO IS THE LAST THING YOU DO BEFORE THE CUP RUN. This team still requires another top 6 and a swift skating puck mover AT LEAST!!! If those two are acquired, THEN it's okay to move Bo for a lesser return. Right now, it makes no sense. Make no mistake about it, Andrew Ladd is a guy you want on your team during playoff wars. He's that a$$#o/€ every team needs. Before acquiring that sort of player though, let's make sure we have the skill first.

Third and finally: said skill mentioned in #2 is better off acquired in free agency. You know, that situation where MG is great at signing assets? When has he had 15 million (including Booth buyout) to sign 7 players?! Last time he had the money to get the assets needed, the team went to the cup. With this in mind, I am fine with waiting.

We also haven't won a cup, that doesn't mean you stop trying to win one.

In 2011-2012 we were likely one big piece away from beating LA and possibly going back to the finals. What do we do instead? Trade one of our young impact players for a rookie and trade for Pahlsson.

It's not trading for rental players that has been our problem. It has been recognizing when to go all in and when not to, as well as getting the right players to fit our needs.

Trading for the right player this season could change the dynamic of this team. Whether or not that player is available and we have the assets to acquire them is another question.

I know I'm giving a what if scenario and all, but IMO we should've done something like Schneider, Hansen, Tanev, 1st for Nash and waited until the off season to trade Hodgson

Sedin - Sedin - Nash

Booth - Kesler - Hodgson

Higgins - Pahlsson - Burrows

Volpatti - Malhotra - Lapierre

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Salo

Ballard - Rome

Luongo

That team would've been able to go toe to toe with LA. The beauty of that scenario is that we would end up signing Garrison and still have Edler to trade, and we could essentially wait until last year to trade him to a team in the top 10 that needs defence for a 1st round pick and a prospect. Then for next season we could potentially ice this line up:

Sedin - Sedin - Nash

Shinkaruk - Kesler - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Burrows

Sestito - Richardson - Santorelli

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - _____

Stanton - Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Ughhh, keeping Cody would have opened up so many more possibilities. The list of teams in the last two offseasons looking for a player like that was huge. Tons of top picks and roster players that could help us. Could have also been a huge piece in bringing back a major player. Kass hasn't started to produce until recently, his value is prob pretty low still on Buffalo. Maybe coulda had em both...

But we don't and now Bo is our only real trading chip, and as the season goes on, all the worthwhile pieces he could potentially bring back are becoming more and more untouchable. Looks like we will be staying the course over the remainder of the Sedin era. This is gonna suck. With each step forward, there's gonna be two back.

Archived