The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Sportsnet's Hockey Cenral: Should the Canucks consider moving Bo Horvat

Southpop45

How highly do I value Horvat? So high that the only way I even consider trading him is if we're getting a top 5-10 player in the NHL, which essentially means he's going no where. Horvat will be a Canuck for the next 15-20 years.

Lol, just like Hodgson was going to be right?

Horvat is not untouchable, but it would take a pretty enticing offer for us to part with him right now.

One mistake the Canucks have been making is not letting their young players develop into valuable assets. Hodgson and Grabner could have fetched much more in return had Gillis been patient and allowed them to reach their potentials, rather than trade them for lesser value.

We also haven't won a cup, that doesn't mean you stop trying to win one.

In 2011-2012 we were likely one big piece away from beating LA and possibly going back tot he finals. What do we do instead? Trade one of our young impact players for a rookie and trade for Pahlsson.

It's not trading for rental players that has been our problem. It has been recognizing when to go all in and when not to, as well as getting the right players to fit our needs.

Trading for the right player this season could change the dynamic of this team. Whether or not that player is available and we have the assets to acquire them is another question.

Again I am not arguing any of that D.

What I am arguing against is trying to purchase a player that is

A: Not a game breaker

B: Over the age of 25

C: Carrying a huge contract

D: A UFA at seasons end

E: Giving away all picks prospects for more redundancy

If there is a deal that brings us E. Kane, Huberdeau, Couturier, B Schenn, Barkov, Etem, LIndholm or the like then yes by all means jump on it if it doesn't bankrupt our meager depth of prospects. But again, we do not do well tradign at the deadline, I am against rentals and I am certainly against losing our best prospects for guys who are either old or won't pan out.

And while I love Ladds game I do not see yet another solid 2 way player as the guy to get it done alone. There would have to be at least two more large trades to find complimentary scoring pieces and that would kill this club in 3 years for depth

I don't agree that they have to be a game breaker to put this team over the top.

A player like O'reilly is not a game breaker IMO, but he would certainly change the dynamic of this team and make us a much more formidable playoff team.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

O'Reilly Kesler Kassian

Higgins Richardson Santorelli

Booth Lain Hansen

Suddenly we actually have a legit top 6, and a much more balanced team.

If there's any deal to be made involving Edler for O'reilly Gillis has to consider it. O'reilly is only 22 and will only get better. That second line would just be a nasty line to play against too, and would allow us to actually go toe to toe with teams like LA and San Jose.

Its sad and hilarious at the same time that Gillis chooses now of all years to squeeze prospects and let them develop. Ofcourse now is probably the worst time over the last few years to do it. The gap between our promising younglings and our top vets is the perfect distance for us to experience extreme mediocrity without sniffing another shot at the finals.

Horvat, Shink and Kassian in. Sedins out. Without some early and beastly rookie/sophomore campaigns (not likely), their primes will not align ala Couture/Burns/Jumbo/Marleau in SJ.

Horvat + for Ladd? Oh you got to be kidding me Sportsnet.

Ladd would not help our GF. Heck, he's not even the first liner you're looking for.

If you're gonna trade away Horvat +... It better be for guys like Tavares.

Ladd is like an upgrade of Burrows. He's not the sniper that everyone hopes for.

Sportnets is laughable.

I think some of my brain cells died watching that video. These idiots have no idea what they are talking about. It would be like me going on National TV and talking about what some random tier 2 Slovkian league team should do,

Does Brian Lawton not understand this team had scoring problems before we fired AV.

Does Nick Kypreos not understand the Sedin contracts mean we want to keep our franchise players, not that we are going to necessarily mortgage the future every year & go balls to the wall for a cup.

Sportsnet is terrible, our mainstream hockey media coverage in Canada is terrible.

Add to it this; Lawton claimed Ladd was a lock for 70 points, year in year out.

He's never hit 60 yet in nearly 600 NHL games... :rolleyes:

I don't agree that they have to be a game breaker to put this team over the top.

A player like O'reilly is not a game breaker IMO, but he would certainly change the dynamic of this team and make us a much more formidable playoff team.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

O'Reilly Kesler Kassian

Higgins Richardson Santorelli

Booth Lain Hansen

Suddenly we actually have a legit top 6, and a much more balanced team.

If there's any deal to be made involving Edler for O'reilly Gillis has to consider it. O'reilly is only 22 and will only get better. That second line would just be a nasty line to play against too, and would allow us to actually go toe to toe with teams like LA and San Jose.

Just a solid post right here.

An Edler for O'reilly deal would be perfect.

With Corrado coming up and a great waiver pick in Stanton by MG it just makes sense to get this deal done.

And of all the guys Wpg trades, why Ladd for prospects? Heart and Soul player when they are and have been full of flakey, lazy players. Byfuglien is a world class talent; but who shows up 45 lbs overweight? Jokinen is a talent. A waste of talent. Look what happened with Burmistrov. Pavelec and Setoguchi are prime candidates for a spring cleanup, which is what they really need! Last year they brought in Wellwood to keep Buff on his diet plan...

Ladd is the last guy they should trade!!! Ladd, Wheeler, Enstrom, Scheifele, Bogo and give Kane a year to grow up. Maybe get some value for Little, maybe hold on. The rest, bring out the broom!

Its sad and hilarious at the same time that Gillis chooses now of all years to squeeze prospects and let them develop. Ofcourse now is probably the worst time over the last few years to do it. The gap between our promising younglings and our top vets is the perfect distance for us to experience extreme mediocrity without sniffing another shot at the finals.

Horvat, Shink and Kassian in. Sedins out. Without some early and beastly rookie/sophomore campaigns (not likely), their primes will not align ala Couture/Burns/Jumbo/Marleau in SJ.

Sooner or later it had to be done.

Your right. Last year without $3.8 on Schneids, $4.2 on Ballard and Booth; boom we have over $12 mill in cap space before we completely fell off the cliff. What could just that caps space that have done if we got a first for Corey, two 6th's for the other two?

2 years ago we could have had Carter for Schneids. Add Carter and keep CoHo; we had every ounce of secondary scoring to prop up the team and Carter would have brought size, speed and strong two way play to the table.

But before we did not have prospects to squeeze. At least we're heading forward there.

Bennetts not an ahole, bit of a goof, but he specialized in angering the dumbest members at SN. And by the sounds of it he had success here too.

Steve Bennett was an attention seeking douche who picked fights with kids on CDC and clogged up the forums with garbage.

Seriously, what kind of loser ahole with no life does that?

He also said he's a lock for 30 goals a season. A feat which he's only come close to hitting twice with a 28 and 29 goal seasons respectively. Love Ladd but would only consider Burr and maybe a pick or Sauve for for Ladd.

Archived