The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2014 NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread

Good teams have centers that can play a 200 foot game.

Horvat improved his offensive game, and McCaan likely will next season too.

Being able to play well in your own end is the fundamental for a good hockey player.

We can always select risky skilled forwards with our second round picks.

nooo think it was more sad to be drafted so late?

or he hates canucks your right though sounded choked, maybe we didnt even interview him?

I think it's because he did fall a lot later than expected. At least, I hope that's what it was.

I wanted a Russian who we wouldn't give up on. Barbashev has all of the signs of investing himself in North America & into the NHL...not like the more selfish-brand of previous incarnations... but like the Larionov or Datsyuk leadership-types,... what happened?

Yeah, we had to settle for an all-star power forward. Lol.

Virtanen is no "all-star power forward". He like everyone else is an unproven prospect.

Let him prove his worth in the NHL before making such accusations.

+1 exactly.

Goldobin, Scherbak and more available and we go with the safe pick...

Its nothing about McCann as a prospect, he's going to be a good center, but how many two-way centers do we need when our biggest need is clearly offense, 3 years in a row we've taken one in the first round.

You've got to be kidding. Gaunce Cassels and Horvat have never played a game for the Canucks. How can they be part of the culture?

How can McCann & Virtanen be part of the culture then?

TSN is talking about how we would change the culture, these moves are nothing different from what Gillis would do, only difference is he wouldn't have traded Garrison.

Big strong center. Exactly what I thought we'd take with the 24th.

I know everyone wants the most skilled player with the most points, but that's not what building a team is all about.

A Horvat/McCaan is the type of one two punch of two way forwards you see in the West,.

I don't know about that, he's a skilled two-way center. Bryan Little like.

Building team is about having different components, a good mix of everything to build a winner, not taking the exact same kind of player 3 years in a row in the first round.

McCann is a good prospect, I had him at #17 on my list, just not the right pick for us, very redundant IMO.

Archived