The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Daniel Sedin's opportunity to come alive?

DeNiro

all this daniel doubting is starting to get to me.

are all your memories really that short? riding henrik's coattails?

every shift of their careers up until daniel's concussion looked like it had two of the exact same player on the ice. daniel has always been every bit as capable as henrik, and you people doubting it now based on this season are absolutely, indefensibly ridiculous.

Demitra was pretty solid for the Canucks in 2009/2010, but was injured for most of 2009/2010? Wait, what?

D. Sedin needing surgery at this point or with pcs and him being shut down after the Olympics would be less surprising than him turning it around and lighting it up.

Given all the injuries popping up, it's going to take a helluva turnaround in health and mindset to resurrect this. Not to mention we'll need a massive impact trade to get any playoff hopes at all. Not sure if all that is in the cards, folks. But.... Fingers-crossed!

all this daniel doubting is starting to get to me.

are all your memories really that short? riding henrik's coattails?

every shift of their careers up until daniel's concussion looked like it had two of the exact same player on the ice. daniel has always been every bit as capable as henrik, and you people doubting it now based on this season are absolutely, indefensibly ridiculous.

Amen. The general negative sentiment around both twins and especially Daniel in this season gone off the rails is frankly disgusting.

They've been two of the most consistently dominant players in the league for close to a decade. Two of the best players and people this team has had the pleasure of employing in it's history. A couple bad months and these so called fans want to flush them like a couple of dead gold fish.

Disgusting. You all should be ashamed.

Amen. The general negative sentiment around both twins and especially Daniel in this season gone off the rails is frankly disgusting.

They've been two of the most consistently dominant players in the league for close to a decade. Two of the best players and people this team has had the pleasure of employing in it's history. A couple bad months and these so called fans want to flush them like a couple of dead gold fish.

Disgusting. You all should be ashamed.

Saying their best days are behind them is not disrespectful and doesn't take away from what they have done in the past. Their point production has been in steady decline for 4 years so this is not just a 2 month "slump". Posting names of players who are older and still effective is cherry picking stats. Fore every Jagr, there are 100 players who declined in their early thirties.

I hope they can find a way to contribute as in the past but am not confident that will be the case. The contracts MG gave them are recognition for what they have done and appears to be an overpayment for what they are currently able to contribute.

Unless Daniel has bee injured for the last 2 years, injury is not his problem. As for stepping up, that is exactly what the Nucks have needed him to do with their struggles this year and instead he has been the poster boy for what ails them.

None of this is disgusting or reason to feel ashamed.

Saying their best days are behind them is not disrespectful and doesn't take away from what they have done in the past. Their point production has been in steady decline for 4 years so this is not just a 2 month "slump". Posting names of players who are older and still effective is cherry picking stats. Fore every Jagr, there are 100 players who declined in their early thirties.

I hope they can find a way to contribute as in the past but am not confident that will be the case. The contracts MG gave them are recognition for what they have done and appears to be an overpayment for what they are currently able to contribute.

Unless Daniel has bee injured for the last 2 years, injury is not his problem. As for stepping up, that is exactly what the Nucks have needed him to do with their struggles this year and instead he has been the poster boy for what ails them.

We are only in the 3rd season since Daniel won the Art Ross. He has not been steadily declining for 4 years. Daniel also had 30 Goals the season after winning the Art Ross which is exactly where his talent level says he should be. He is having an off year, he may be over the plateau, I agree it is nothing to be ashamed of. I would wager a guess Daniel will not win another Art Ross, but I would guess his game will diminish much slower than this season would suggest.

While age is always going to be a factor I think the bigger reasons for their decline in production the last couple years is largely due to two things:

-The league allowing clutch and grab to creep back in to the sport.

-A lack of secondary scoring support.

On top of those two things, this year they've also had to deal with:

-One or both (hell, possibly all three) of Hank and Burrows playing hurt, coming back from injury or being out altogether.

-A collection of 3rd/4th line scrubs playing in those injured players place.

-Even worse secondary scoring support due to other team injuries/the shrinking CAP.

Given those conditions, it's plain silly for this fan base to expect their usual numbers. It's called context. Given that context it's reasonable to expect that if those things can be addressed this summer (largely health and secondary scoring support) that they'll return to something resembling their old selves and ~1ppg scoring.

Besides, Im not damning the person who say's "their best days are behind them". Logically, they most likely are. I'm not expecting them to ever return to the lofty totals of their award winning seasons.

But they should be roughly 1PPG/80-90 point players for the next 2'ish years with a slow drift down to say 60-70 points towards the end of their current contracts as they age given the aforementioned health and scoring support.

I'm damning the people who are dumping on them as worthless bums we shouldn't have re-signed.

They deserved those new contracts and they deserve a sight more patience and consideration than they've been getting from "fans" here lately.

Mini Me won the Art Ross, he is better than you give him credit for.

That was pre-minimization. By this seasons end, he will have 132 games (1.6 seasons) since he was minimized. He will be lucky to have 30 goals in that time, while having 6 straight 29-40 goal seasons before. He prob would have cracked 40 twice if not for his broken foot, and could have won both the twins scoring races.

Archived