The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well don't forget the top rated EU skaters in Kapanen and Nylander could land anywhere, and likely both in the top 10. One of the 'big 5' could well slip to 6th because of this.

I too like Virtanen, watching his highlight real just demonstrates there's no real flaw in his game. He's fast, big, hits hard, hell of a wrist shot and can make a pass. I don't see any reason to pass on him.

I think he has no physical deficiencies, but i think he needs to wok on the mental side of the game, IQ vision etc. It will come with experience I would hope, he has all the RAW tools to be an impact F.

Top 12 Picks

Undisputed Top Four Locks: Ekblad, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Bennett - We are not going to get any of these players (no particular order)

Next Four: Virtanen, Draisaitl, Ritchie, Perlini - We are likely to get one of these players (order is my preference)

Possible Next Four: Fleury, Tuch, McCann, Ehlers - Very unlikely anyone will take these players in the top 8 (no particular order)

Top 12 Picks

Undisputed Top Four Locks: Ekblad, Reinhart, Dal Colle, Bennett - We are not going to get any of these players (no particular order)

Next Four: Virtanen, Draisaitl, Ritchie, Perlini - We are likely to get one of these players (order is my preference)

Possible Next Four: Fleury, Tuch, McCann, Ehlers - Very unlikely anyone will take these players in the top 8 (no particular order)

Nylander?

Well don't forget the top rated EU skaters in Kapanen and Nylander could land anywhere, and likely both in the top 10. One of the 'big 5' could well slip to 6th because of this.

I too like Virtanen, watching his highlight real just demonstrates there's no real flaw in his game. He's fast, big, hits hard, hell of a wrist shot and can make a pass. I don't see any reason to pass on him.

Its a highlight reel so it won't be focusing on his flaws so I don't know how you can claim he doesn't have any flaws.

That said I think he is an interesting prospect who I would be happy to end up with and think you make a very good point about Kapanen and Nylander who could be in that second tier as well.

I really think Ritchie would be a mistake where we will end up picking and would prefer the Canucks to go after some high end skill even if it means a smaller player.

This is a strange year in that I could see someone picked at 17 or so still being the best player drafted.

or kesler, 2nd for etem Ott 1st, Ana 1st

nylander, virtanen, etem, ana 1st

then, etem, jensen, hansen and ana 1st to Buffalo for their pick -1st overall - ekblad

leaving the draft with ekblad, nylander, virtanen - amazing

Highly....very highly intriguing

I've heard Tallon say good things about him but never said he thinks he goes in the top 5. He said they may look into him as an option of a high risk winger But he was also brought up since he was talking about the team already, he didn't go out of his way to talk about him. Unless I'm watching a different video.

I don't see him going in the top 10, similar to the way shinkaruk fell I can see him dropping to. Lots of potential but high risk, and when you pick in the top 10 you can't afford to miss, especially in a vancouver market Linden would be eating up in 4 years if the kid turned out to be a bust

Filatov

Connolly

Burmistrov

Paajarvi

Hamill

All high skilled/ high risk talented forwards pick in the 6-10, lots do turn out but lots don't. As much as people want to down play playing with drouin it does open up room for a small player to skate.

Hunter fell mostly because of his hip injury, otherwise would have gone between 11-15.

And I'm not sold on Nick Ritchie, just seems to me like he's doing well in junior because he's 6'3 230, and in the NHL while thats still big, he won't be able to push people around like he does in junior. I just see him being a 3rd liner for most of his career IMHO

I'm not either. I'm always wary of big guys who can skate, cause I feel like sometimes there other attributes get overrated because of it, I look at Tom Wilson as an example of that.

To be fair I haven't really looked into him at all, but if it was between him & say Ehlers I would like Ehlers, we went with size for awhile & it was our downfall, we lack high end offense, so thats what we should go for with this pick.

I really want Linden to push for MDC. Trade up if we have to, he's defintely worth it.

Buffalo: Reinhart

Edmonton: Draisiatl/Ekblad

Florida: Bennett

NYI: Draisiatl/Ekblad

Calgary: Ritchie (do it Burke)

Carolina: Ehlers

Vancouver: MDC

Please hockey gods. We have suffered.

That would be awesome, highly unlikely, but it would be a dream to get Dal Colle he would be great.

If we end up passing on Ehlers in favour of a larger sized player, I'm hoping that Robby Fabbri remains on the board long enough that the Canucks can claim him with their second pick.

Several rankings have him in the 30s although some have put him top-10. Many people expect him to fall to the second round due to his size. But those people also predict he could be the steal of the 2014 Draft.

Here's some scouting on Fabbri:

Fabbri's stats line:

2013-14 Regular Season: 58 GP, 45 G, 42 A, 87 PTS, +45, 55 PIM

2014 OHL Playoffs: 5 GP (missed 4 games due to injury), 4 G, 3 A, 7 PTS, +2, 2 PIM

Size:

5'10" (5' 10 1/4" on most recent charts--if that last 1/4 inch matters)

166 lbs (170 lbs on some recent charts)

Other vitals:

Centre (C/LW), shoots left, January 1996 born

Ya Fabbri while being small seems to have the attributes to over come it, like an Andrew Cogliano (how he's playing right now in ANA)

Would be great with our 2nd rounder but I highly doubt he's available but I would love to get him, I just really like what he brings with his work ethic.

Hockey Prospect had him at three at the end of Feb, McKeen currently have him at 5, with MDC at 6.. Craig button had him at 7, etc etc.

He has risen in the rankings steadily over the year.. SMH

All posted in april

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9363

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=710956

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=712635

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=712639

If it was me i would be looking at a guy like Jared McCan, i just see flashes of jonathan toews in his game. I mean we have a lot of centres, but i just think this guy has Major potential. I would also be happy with Virtanen, wicked shot, very fast, dynamic forward, I.Q needs work, passing also and i don't think he uses his teammates enough.

Everybody is talking Nick Ritchie, who reminds me a little of dustin penner. Ive watched his games, I'm not that impressed. He's Huge, he does make a really nice hit occasionally and he has a really good shot. Sometimes his compete level looks really sluggish.

Nikolaj Ehlers really does impress me, but i think this is a far riskier pick than someone like McCan or Virtanen.

Brendan Perlini can't really comment, haven't seen much of his games.

I can't see Reinhard,Ekblad,Dal Colle, Bennet or Leon slipping past five, so if it was me and i was picking Jared McCan or Jake Virtanen would be my guy.

Top 12 Picks

Ehlers is best. I really think ehlers will be in the top 10.

reminds me a little bit like a mix of Cory Perry and Kesler

As far as the Mason Raymond comparison with Ehlers he might get to the same size as Raymond. Ehlers of course has better skill than Raymond but his size will stop him from being able to utilize it at the NHL level.

There is no doubt in my mind Ehlers will be available when we draft -- even if we finish 10th. If we finish 6th-8th and guys like Virtanen, Perlini, or even Ritchie are available the Canucks will draft one of them.

I hope not, I wouldn't mind Virtanen, but not Perlini or Ritchie.

Something about Perlini just tells me he won't reach his full potential, he might prove me wrong but I just don't have the best feeling about him, I think at max potential he could be JVR 2.0, but I see him as somewhere inbetween that & the next Wojtek Wolski (closer to Wolski honestly)

Elite Skill (a first overall pick like Stamkos or RNH) can be a little on the light side. Ehlers does not have this elite level skill or else everyone would have him ranked much higher.

I think he has elite skill. Thats why he's being talked about as glowingly as he is.

I've heard Tallon say good things about him but never said he thinks he goes in the top 5. He said they may look into him as an option of a high risk winger But he was also brought up since he was talking about the team already, he didn't go out of his way to talk about him. Unless I'm watching a different video.

I don't see him going in the top 10, similar to the way shinkaruk fell I can see him dropping to. Lots of potential but high risk, and when you pick in the top 10 you can't afford to miss, especially in a vancouver market Linden would be eating up in 4 years if the kid turned out to be a bust

Filatov

Connolly

Burmistrov

Paajarvi

Hamill

All high skilled/ high risk talented forwards pick in the 6-10, lots do turn out but lots don't. As much as people want to down play playing with drouin it does open up room for a small player to skate.

None of those players are really comparable to Ehlers.

And in all those cases except Hamill there were smaller skill players who went after them that seem to be better. (Skinner, Ennis/Eberle, Palmieri, Kuznetsov/Etem) So perhaps we take a bigger player like a Ritchie or Perlini & they end up in that category while someone wins big on Ehlers.

Archived