The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the gaps are correct and the players will be switched around based on personal preference. The only thing I would change is add Fleury to the middle part. But that's just my opinion

Jared McCann makes guys like Nylander and Kapanen look like typical Europeans. He's equally as skilled far more intense a better skater, probably a better shot, (as he and Ritchie have the best shots in the draft) and McCann is a centerman. Probably a better skater too. He skates like Sid the kid. Check out his highlights if you don't believe.

I don't think its a weak draft really. I think its weak in terms of superstar potential but i wouldnt be surprised to see many kids in the first 3 rounds turn into nhl regulars.

I think its also a case if so many kids being bunched together not really separating from others.

It will be more of a draft where players are picked on how their stregths match up with organizational weaknesses compared to other drafts where its the best player available philosophy. I mean this more with picks after top 12-15. I think you will see players ranked in the 25-40 range go in 15-20 draft spots and vise versa.

I agree, not obvious franchise players like last year, but there are good players, throughout the 1st & 2nd rounds.

Its not a weak draft year, its just not as strong as last year's or next year's.

Jared McCann makes guys like Nylander and Kapanen look like typical Europeans. He's equally as skilled far more intense a better skater, probably a better shot, (as he and Ritchie have the best shots in the draft) and McCann is a centerman. Probably a better skater too. He skates like Sid the kid. Check out his highlights if you don't believe.

I would take both Nylander & Kapanen over McCann.

McCann is a good player, has good tools, but had an underwhelming season. I think he's a good 2nd line center, but I don't see the same upside in him as I do Ehlers, Ritchie & the guys you mentioned.

And I don't think his shot is with Ritchie's, I would put Virtanen and some others ahead of McCann's. Not that McCann's is bad, its very good, I just don't think its quite at the very very top of the draft.

Here's my top-15 rankings:

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Bennett

4. Dal Colle

5. Draisaitl

6. Virtanen

7. Perlini

8. Tuch

9. Ritchie

10. Fleury

11. Larkin

12. Kapanen

13. Ehlers

14. Nylander

15. Milano

1. Based more on NHL central scouting and ISS, combined with legit upside, not a fantasy/preseason upside.

2. Frankly, i'm astounded as to how the americans are being largely ignored on cdc. They're good.

3. There are a lot of decent players to select from that don't carry an amazing amount of risk with them. The Canucks would be better suited to start picking those prospects up.

4. Nylander will drop that far because of his attitude problems.

Well, last year Mantha went 20th overall. This year's 20th overall won't be quite as big or effective.

There have been weaker drafts than this years' though.

Nobody was talking about Mantha in his draft year. If they were he definitely wouldn't have been picked 20th.

Every draft has good players later in the first that nobody thought were going to be stars.

This years very well could have a stud at number 20 in either Fabbri, Fiala, or Lemieux.

Nobody was talking about Mantha in his draft year. If they were he definitely wouldn't have been picked 20th.

Every draft has good players later in the first that nobody thought were going to be stars.

This years very well could have a stud at number 20 in either Fabbri, Fiala, or Lemieux.

6'-5" 200lb 50-goal guy. Q or not, that guy was probably worth talking about.

I don't really think this draft is bad. Virtanen had more ES goals than pretty much any 17 year old in the WHL over the past 15 years at least.

I compiled a list of forwards from the OHL and WHL weight 200+lbs from the past 10 drafts. There were 20 players in total.

Virtanen ranked 2nd in goals (45) behind Evander Kane and Ritchie was tied 3rd with Eric Staal. These guys aren't even expected to go top 5.

The top 5 is very solid, sporting four 100ish pt players and a stud dman. The Euro group is weak, but overall this is a solid (albeit unspectacular) draft year.

Well, last year Mantha went 20th overall. This year's 20th overall won't be quite as big or effective.

There have been weaker drafts than this years' though.

If Mantha didn't have a monster performance in the WJC, where majority of CDC probably watched, he wouldn't have been herald as much as people do on CDC today. Mantha has't even made a dent in the NHL and is probably one of the most overrated prospect on CDC based on junior hockey stats.

How do you know that the 20th overall pick wont be quite as big or effective? There is no way to see that until they actually make the NHL.

When it comes to Mantha and where he was picked, is all from hindsight view.

If Mantha didn't have a monster performance in the WJC, where majority of CDC probably watched, he wouldn't have been herald as much as people do on CDC today. Mantha has't even made a dent in the NHL and is probably one of the most overrated prospect on CDC based on junior hockey stats.

How do you know that the 20th overall pick wont be quite as big or effective? There is no way to see that until they actually make the NHL.

When it comes to Mantha and where he was picked, is all from hindsight view.

'We don't know what he'll be yet, but whatever he does, it's hindsight.'

Hahahaha. If only scouts could use that cop out excuse every draft. They'd never be fired.

Oh wait. Delorme.

Those are the types of prospects we have been picking up.

Not... Exactly...

I would take both Nylander & Kapanen over McCann.

McCann is a good player, has good tools, but had an underwhelming season. I think he's a good 2nd line center, but I don't see the same upside in him as I do Ehlers, Ritchie & the guys you mentioned.

And I don't think his shot is with Ritchie's, I would put Virtanen and some others ahead of McCann's. Not that McCann's is bad, its very good, I just don't think its quite at the very very top of the draft.

I really really really wish you stop looking at Stats, although important, not the best way to judge a prospect, their are plenty of prospects who light it up in the QMJHL, Brandon Reid Jason King, WHL OHL, you name it, plenty of them Ehlers is really off the charts, but i'm going to stand by my word, that Ehlers is a dangerous pick. his upside might not be as high, but McCann is almost a sure thing in the NHL due to his solid play, fearless play, skills, smarts, and how he actually makes his teamates play better. the only reason why he is not mentioned with the big 4 is his under whelming stats. but int he long run McCann is going to be better then the 3 Europeans you desperately want. Jared McCann has drawn comparisons to Zack Parise. In fact I actually much prefer even Jake Virtannen over the 3 6'0 footers feather weight Euro's.

I don't buy into the Etem hype, but what is a fact is that he'll be a bigger draw in Cali than Vancouver. A PR jewel.

If Kesler goes it should be for

Theodore, 2014 1st (10th via Ott), and 2014 2nd (38th via Tor)

So we'd have 6th, 10th, 36th, 38th. Nylander, Virtanen, Glover, Dougherty, take Smith with 66th. Hell of a haul.

Agree Etem would be tuff to get out of them and I don't think worth the price.

Would like

Vatanen/Theodore, Ott 1st, Rakell

Really like Rakell , decent size Swedish center that plays wing. I think would be better than a 2nd rounder. Especially with our draft history.

Detroit PP: 0/9 against Boston

Nyquist, Tartar, Datsyuk, all useless against the shutdown system

Ritchie/Virtanen are the pick

that shutdown comes from the coaching style and the strength of the defensemen.

a shutdown system has nothing to do with ritchie vs ehlers or whatever.

if anything, the best two way player within our range is RW Kasperi Kapanen.

your points never make any sense.

that shutdown comes from the coaching style and the strength of the defensemen.

a shutdown system has nothing to do with ritchie vs ehlers or whatever.

if anything, the best two way player within our range is RW Kasperi Kapanen.

your points never make any sense.

Ritchie has everything to do with a shutdown system

Not... Exactly...

Gaunce? Horvat? Both recent 1st rounders? They don't fit that?

I really really really wish you stop looking at Stats, although important, not the best way to judge a prospect, their are plenty of prospects who light it up in the QMJHL, Brandon Reid Jason King, WHL OHL, you name it, plenty of them Ehlers is really off the charts, but i'm going to stand by my word, that Ehlers is a dangerous pick. his upside might not be as high, but McCann is almost a sure thing in the NHL due to his solid play, fearless play, skills, smarts, and how he actually makes his teamates play better. the only reason why he is not mentioned with the big 4 is his under whelming stats. but int he long run McCann is going to be better then the 3 Europeans you desperately want. Jared McCann has drawn comparisons to Zack Parise. In fact I actually much prefer even Jake Virtannen over the 3 6'0 footers feather weight Euro's.

I'm not basing opinion on him on just stats.

I'm just saying, he had an underwhelming season, does that mean I think everything said about his skill is wrong? no. But if you look at someone like Robby Fabbri, thats the kind of season Jared McCann probably should have had. There are reasons for that though, some to do with him, and he was also playing behind some talented players. I think he will break out next year.

I like McCann, I think he's going to be a Bryan little type of center. Good offensive skill, really reliable defensive center. Impacts all areas of the game. He may have drawn comparisons to Parise style wise (Ehlers has drawn comparisons to Kane stylewise) but he's not going to be the next Parise.

Should be take him at pick #6? no. Because I think there are better players with better upside available which we really need, we lack high end talent in our prospect pool, thats probably the biggest weakness in it, and besides that we took Horvat last year who is the exact same kind of player, and we also have Gaunce & Cassels in the system.

And before you go off spouting about how overagers 20 years ago put up 120 points & thats why Ehlers won't be anything special, can you tell me how many players have scored 100+ points in there draft year (in the Q) since the 04 lockout, and have busted?

Well, last year Mantha went 20th overall. This year's 20th overall won't be quite as big or effective.There have been weaker drafts than this years' though.

Mantha was actually ranked in the top 10 in central scouting (so was Shinkaruk).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=88636

Mantha fell to 20th, because he was considered a very streaky player and lacked the physical aspect of the game. *cough* Perlini *cough*

Archived