The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You forgot to mention that he is one of the most if not the most skilled player in the draft.

What you just described sounds alot like Ovechkin, not calling him Ovechkin but that is player that first came to mind reading that, he knows how to finish. Everybody was screaming for Jakub Voracek but is Voracek not a one dimensional, soft and scores on the PP player? Voracek has decent defense I'll admit but in his draft year he wasn't hyped on it.

Jensen wasn't known to have half decent defense in his draft year either but they put it in his game and now look, he isn't a liability out there.

One of Nylanders attitude issues is his "quit" and his me first issue. Again, do you really think a player like Nylander would be happy to sit in the AHL riding a bus for 3-5 years before being called up for genuine NHL duty? because he is still 3-5 years away from making the league.

Rather have Kapanen or Ehlers as the Euo pick this year

He doesnt have this. His acceleration is normal for a man his size. He just looks faster . Its just too difficult to see if he can translate his size into the pro game. I dont know too many guys who can play at 230 anyways. Ovechkin tried it and he pushed the envelope too hard.

If Ritchie pulls down to 220 and works on the mental side of the game he will be a player at the NHL level. How good he will be is anyones guess.

This statement is just so wrong. On the ice he has as good or better skating and acceleration than almost every player on the ice. He is WAY above average when it comes to guys his size, he has absolutely elite skating for a big man, and it's not just straight line speed either. He has great edge work allowing him to cut to the middle of the ice with ease going full pace.

Dustin Byfuglien is the only other big man I can think of that skates as well as Ritchie.

Well, he's not much of a fighter to begin with and he'll need to get into better shape before becoming an NHLer, and there is the matter of his injury history, so there may be some reasons.

Would you say Ritchie takes a lot of minor penalties?

Actually he's a pretty good fighter if not prolific.

He might be able to step right into the NHL as a depth player. I don't think he should though.

He was healthy all year so any concerns about his injury history are mitigated in my mind.

He takes too many but he draws more than he makes. Something for him to work on.

Re: the Lucic comparisons.... I can tell you that I was very familiar with Lucic in his draft year. I didn't see him as more than a great 3rd liner, so I hold my hands up on that one, and he was a completely different player the following year. I can say that Ritchie is far more talented and developed than Lucic was. Hence why I don't like the comparison.

This statement is just so wrong. On the ice he has as good or better skating and acceleration than almost every player on the ice. He is WAY above average when it comes to guys his size, he has absolutely elite skating for a big man, and it's not just straight line speed either. He has great edge work allowing him to cut to the middle of the ice with ease going full pace.

Dustin Byfuglien is the only other big man I can think of that skates as well as Ritchie.

I agree. His edge work is extremely good. Coupled with his hands he can do very dangerous things in small spaces.

Quite a few people here are perpetuating the rumours about Nylander's attitude issues.

The USA Today quote:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/woodlief/2014/03/19/nhl-draft-preview-red-line-report-march/6617411/

"while William Nylander has recently rebounded from some early doldrums, we have soured somewhat on all the drama that surrounds his attitude. Having said that, we can't knock him out of the top 10 because, well… he's very likely the most purely skilled offensive player in this draft."

Nylander brings up ice-time issues:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/89343/2013-u18-wjc-video-william-nylander-sweden/

He discusses what happened this past season:

http://cms.springboardplatform.com/previews/73/video/918647/0/0/1

Yea he's arrogant but he's also 17. Try to put yourself in his position. He was getting 3rd\4th line minutes in his draft year. So what's wrong with asking to go to a team that will play you more when you are trying to improve yourself as a player and showcase your talents? I think we can all agree the best way to improve is to get more ice-time. Seriously, these attitude issues are overblown.

I think Mantha's issue was his work ethic/character was really in question, he had all the skill in the world & the size but when you get into character issues thats when prospects can get risky.

I don't think Perlini is the same, he's a good player, but his game is just lacking aspects to make him a high pick like 6th overall IMO. (I think 10-17 is more his range). Mantha had all the ability it was just a matter if he wanted to use it or not.

Mantha's scouting report:

... a well above-average skater for a big man. He picks up speed quickly, with a certain smoothness in his skating technique. That skating ability, combined with his 6'4" frame, makes him an intriguing physical package. He does possess some skill, but he is more of a good thinker than a fancy puck handler. He can slow the game down, and he exhibits good calmness, often finding the right plays to make with the puck. ...tantalizing combination of size and scoring ability ... ability to dominate games ... needs to improve consistency ... only shows flashes of physicality for a player of his size...

Pretty much sums up Perlini's game

I just don't understand what Ritchie or Virtanen have that make them a higher pick than Perlini.

One of Nylanders attitude issues is his "quit" and his me first issue. Again, do you really think a player like Nylander would be happy to sit in the AHL riding a bus for 3-5 years before being called up for genuine NHL duty? because he is still 3-5 years away from making the league.

Rather have Kapanen or Ehlers as the Euo pick this year

When you come into the NHL alot of things change IMO, players will become to realize that they are not to far away from the best of the best and the determination will kick in and you won't be thinking about ice-time but working your hardest to atleast play 1 game in the best league.

Funkyfresh really answered your question though.

Everybody automatically thinks Ritchie lacks skill because of his size...

Ya just like everyone thinks Nylander/Ehlers/Kapanen/exc are soft & perimeter players because they are offensive & european.

I don't think Ritchie lacks offense at all, a very good offensive player, of all the big offensively skilled PWF's to come along (that aren't at the very top of the draft like Landeskog) I think he's the best to come along in awhile.

But I think other players are just more skilled. Not a knock on Ritchie who is great. Others are just better.

Schroederesque.

Not comparable at all.

He doesnt have this. His acceleration is normal for a man his size. He just looks faster . Its just too difficult to see if he can translate his size into the pro game. I dont know too many guys who can play at 230 anyways. Ovechkin tried it and he pushed the envelope too hard.

If Ritchie pulls down to 220 and works on the mental side of the game he will be a player at the NHL level. How good he will be is anyones guess.

Ritchie's acceleration is actually great, far above average, and for his size outstanding. His speed is really the only knock I see in his skating, its not bad, good for his size, but overall just average IMO, (as far as straight ahead speed) its not a weakness however or something that will hold him back, just something he can improve upon, and he's got the acceleration to compensate for it, so he gets around more than fine.

His skating should translate fine to the pros, thats not what I'm worried about with him at all. It is already great and can improve.

I just don't understand what Ritchie or Virtanen have that make them a higher pick than Perlini.

Perlini just doesn't have as good of physical tools as Virtanen or Ritchie. While he puts points on the board he doesn't stand out like Ritchie or Virtanen do.

Perlini just doesn't have as good of physical tools as Virtanen or Ritchie. While he puts points on the board he doesn't stand out like Ritchie or Virtanen do.

So, why does everyone on here want a guy like Mantha, who shy away from the physical game?

The thing about Ehlers is, he's a pussy. We have enough of those.

Time for some real homegrown talent. Do you want a guy who can score goals off the rush? Who can beat defensemen wide? Who hits like a truck and shoots harder than shotgun?

Then you want Virtanen - a guy with some sack.

Ya just like everyone thinks Nylander/Ehlers/Kapanen/exc are soft & perimeter players because they are offensive & european.

I don't think Ritchie lacks offense at all, a very good offensive player, of all the big offensively skilled PWF's to come along (that aren't at the very top of the draft like Landeskog) I think he's the best to come along in awhile.

But I think other players are just more skilled. Not a knock on Ritchie who is great. Others are just better.

Not comparable at all.

Ritchie's acceleration is actually great, far above average, and for his size outstanding. His speed is really the only knock I see in his skating, its not bad, good for his size, but overall just average IMO, (as far as straight ahead speed) its not a weakness however or something that will hold him back, just something he can improve upon, and he's got the acceleration to compensate for it, so he gets around more than fine.

His skating should translate fine to the pros, thats not what I'm worried about with him at all. It is already great and can improve.

You're coming around.

Those were your two biggest criticisms a month ago.

The thing about Ehlers is, he's a feline. We have enough of those.

Time for some real homegrown talent. Do you want a guy who can score goals off the rush? Who can beat defensemen wide? Who hits like a truck and shoots harder than shotgun?

Then you want Virtanen - a guy with some sack.

Kesler & Booth can do those things.

I don't think Perlini has the skill Mantha does, and I think he plays a more perimeter player, they have some similarities but just different level prospects IMO.

As far as Ritchie/Virtanen/Perlini.

I think Ritchie is a higher tier prospect than the other too, but I have Perlini & Virtanen around the same range. 10-15

You're coming around.

Those were your two biggest criticisms a month ago.

Its never really been Ritchie I've had an issue with, I've liked him as my favorite of the bigger guys, and recognized his game, I just preferred other players.

Its never really been Ritchie I've had an issue with, I've liked him as my favorite of the bigger guys, and recognized his game, I just preferred other players.

I'm just glad you've stopped saying he has slow foot speed and lacks offense.

It really doesn't matter who you prefer.

I'm just glad you've stopped saying he has slow foot speed and lacks offense.

It really doesn't matter who you prefer.

I didn't say he had slow foot speed. I've thought his acceleration was fine all along, it was his straight ahead speed.

I still question his offensive upside, but he's one of the tougher ones to gauge as far as offensive upside goes. I think he could be anything from a 20-20 second liner to a top line, top tier, star PWF that puts up 35+ goals and 65+ points. I don't see him as anything less than a 20 goal 2nd liner though myself.

It's not more accurate. It's a bias towards a prognostication. It's impossible to be accurate about events which have not transpired.

Countering a poorly informed appraisal with an equally poorly informed appraisal does not make it more accurate. It makes it equally uninformed. If you stopped making counter arguments about his game play without substituting your own guesses, which are patently wrong for anyone who has watched him play at all, then you might be able to form a valid opinion. Instead what you are doing is playing devils advocate.

Not so. I watch a lot of junior throughout the year because I have access to the CHL archives and go to every Giants game. I mostly watch WHL and OHL which is why I don't comment on Q players very often. I don't have a bias toward any single player. I watch them all and then make an assessment. I follow the scientific approach whereby I gather information before forming a theory. You're following the zealot approach where you jump to conclusion and then look for a confirmation bias.

You're speaking my language.

Archived