The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sedins had skill and that's it though, they were missing either size ( thornton ) or speed ( stloius). Skilled prospects need size and or dynamic agility/ speed to stay competitive in the playoffs.

The injury past with Ritchie scares me. I'm leaning towards one of the skilled guys but am not against trading down for say Fluery or Tuch.

We usually don't take a player in the first round to fill a role as 3rd/4th liner or 6th defenseman

I completely agree with this. With a first round pick (especially 6th overall) they should look at getting a player who is most likely has a chance to be a 1st line player or top 4 dman. This is should be the case even if it means taking a risk.

By age 25 they will dominate anything the Kings or Sharks put out. Just like MacKinnon has.

Ehlers isnt a 'perimeter player' and your attempt to water the guy down to invalidate him resolves nothing. I dont know too much about Nylander so I cant comment on his ability to drive to the net.

Even at 25 Nylander just like his dad will be stickhandling to the outside looking for a fancy play. In the playoffs he will get pounded....toooooo small. Kent Nilsson the magic mans kid went mid 1st in the famed 2003 draft same size and pefigree. What ever happened to him???No thanks!

We have Schroeder, Shinkaruk and Cassels and Jensen isn't gonna pound people either. We need the best PF we can get. Not some flash and dash regular season wonder.

I wanna see a cup some day and we won't win it without the types who drive the net with a defenseman on their back.

McKinnon should never be used in a comparable with Ehlers and Nylander

IMO it's between Nylander and Draisaitl...whomever is left after the top 5 picks (unless someone else drops out of the "top 5").

Otherwise I'd almost prefer to trade down to say the 8th-12th pick and get Virtanen, Fleury etc plus whatever additional assets we can manage.

Wonder how you guys think Ehlers or Nylander would look in the King vs Shark series.

Enough already with the fast shifty perimeter players. Just go and sign Raymond or Cammalleri.

At 6 it better be Ritchie or Virtanen or a top 5 dropper.

If you look at our youth we need some size that can win puck battles, drive the net and blast rockets.

Horvat Shinkaruk Kassian

Cassels Jensen Schroeder

Gaunce Fox Grenier

Pavelski is doing pretty good. So is Nieto. And Dan Boyle. And...........

Wonder how you guys think Ehlers or Nylander would look in the King vs Shark series.

Enough already with the fast shifty perimeter players. Just go and sign Raymond or Cammalleri.

At 6 it better be Ritchie or Virtanen or a top 5 dropper.

If you look at our youth we need some size that can win puck battles, drive the net and blast rockets.

Horvat Shinkaruk Kassian

Cassels Jensen Schroeder

Gaunce Fox Grenier

Exactly man. I can't understand why this fan base would want another perimeter player after 3 years of an unproductive Raymond on an otherwise unbelievable team. I mean look at Schroeder, I support the kid, but it's not coming together 5 years after being drafted and 4 years pro. Taking the perimeter player is far too risky for a 6th pick.

I however, am more optimistic about our future with size and physicality. This is how I see the Canucks in 4 years:

Jensen - Kesler - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Virtanen

Gaunce - Cassels - Fox

Archibald - Lain - Grenier

Every single player has bite. No more non-response to a flying elbow to D. Sedin's head.

Exactly man. I can't understand why this fan base would want another perimeter player after 3 years of an unproductive Raymond on an otherwise unbelievable team. I mean look at Schroeder, I support the kid, but it's not coming together 5 years after being drafted and 4 years pro. Taking the perimeter player is far too risky for a 6th pick.

I however, am more optimistic about our future with size and physicality. This is how I see the Canucks in 4 years:

Gaunce - Cassels - Fox

Every single player has bite. No more non-response to a flying elbow to D. Sedin's head.

you see the canucks still out of the playoffs in 4 years?

Gaunce - Cassels - Fox

Schroeder was a late first rounder and Raymond was a second rounder....

Exactly, then why would anyone want to take a similar player at #6?

Because they'd potentially be a higher quality version? The Hawks saw fit to take Kane first overall (5'10", 162lb) in 2007, ahead of JVR, Voracek, Couture, etc.

I think his point is that we wouldn't be. That their skill level and ceiling are much higher then Schroeder's.

Schroeder was ranked 5th by CSS in his draft year.

To JE, I guarantee I've watched more junior hockey this year than anyone that's posted. Ehlers and Nylander are perimeter players in the NHL, and far too risky of picks at 6.

Exactly, then why would anyone want to take a similar player at #6?

I see what you're saying,.....The only way you can obtain elite skilled players is drafting them..There are lots of safe big two way way players available,,...But if there's a potential Kane,Parise,Datsyk..you have to gamble.

To JE, I guarantee I've watched more junior hockey this year than anyone that's posted. Ehlers and Nylander are perimeter players in the NHL, and far too risky of picks at 6.

you cant win a marathon with out putting a few bandaids on your nipples.

Have you watched much Nylander though? Not so easy to view the euro games.

I can see the criticism of Ehlers being permiter as you've obviously had plenty of chances to watch and analyze his play but have you really seen Nylander enough to warrent the same criticism?

Archived