The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just meant "European Skaters" as central scouting defines it...pretty much anyone who plays outside of the Canada and the US.

So yes there have only been 2 (Grandlund and Chistov) European Skaters (Sweden, Finland, Germany, Russian, Czech, Solvakia, etc) who were under 6 feet to go in the first 12 picks in the last 20 drafts.

I hate to be that guy but technically Nylander is Canadian since he was born in Alberta and he grew up playing in NA. He's only been playing in Sweden for 3 years.

I hate to be that guy but technically Nylander is Canadian since he was born in Alberta and he grew up playing in NA. He's only been playing in Sweden for 3 years.

He still counts as a European skater because of the league he will be drafted out of.

If any of the top 5 falls it wont be Bennet, so dont get your hopes up. I could see Drasaitl or Dal Cole falling a few spots though. Im starting to think the Flamers might take Ritchie (My pick). They better not screw this up thats all I can say... we need a young stud.

Where do you guys have Fabbri ranked on your mock draft lists? I have him at 10th.

Yeah, I'm inbetween 10-11.

After the big 5: Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander, Virtanen, Fleury and Kapanen/Fabbri.

I just meant "European Skaters" as central scouting defines it...pretty much anyone who plays outside of the Canada and the US.

So yes there have only been 2 (Grandlund and Chistov) European Skaters (Sweden, Finland, Germany, Russian, Czech, Solvakia, etc) who were under 6 feet to go in the first 12 picks in the last 20 drafts.

Yakupov?

Kind of a pointless stat if you ask me, so what if they weren't drafted in the top 12 why not just the first round.

It's not like they hasn't been any good European players in the NHL that are un 6'0.

Naslund was only listed at 5'11 in his draft year. Backstrom was 5'11 1/2. Bure was even smaller.

Yakupov?

Kind of a pointless stat if you ask me, so what if they weren't drafted in the top 12 why not just the first round.

It's not like they hasn't been any good European players in the NHL that are un 6'0.

Naslund was only listed at 5'11 in his draft year. Backstrom was 5'11 1/2. Bure was even smaller.

Yakupov was a CHLer

Yakupov?

Yakupov played in the OHL.

My point isn't that European Skaters under 6 feet don't turn out to be good players rather my point is that historically speaking, European Skaters under 6 feet don't get drafted in the top 5 (as some people think Nylander will be), In fact only 2 have been drafted in the top 12 in the last 20 drafts.

Stanislav Chistov isn't European though, he is a Russian. only played 3 seasons in the NHL then bolted to the KHL.

So really the only one is Granlund and he has become one if Minnesota's best players. But I still agree with you that it is a risk.

Russian is European. Especially in sports.

Yakupov played in the OHL.

My point isn't that European Skaters under 6 feet don't turn out to be good players rather my point is that historically speaking, European Skaters under 6 feet don't get drafted in the top 5 (as some people think Nylander will be), In fact only 2 have been drafted in the top 12 in the last 20 drafts.

Are you saying one of Fiala or Nylander doesn't get drafted in the top 12 then?

I say one does, likely Nylander

If any of the top 5 falls it wont be Bennet, so dont get your hopes up. I could see Drasaitl or Dal Cole falling a few spots though. Im starting to think the Flamers might take Ritchie (My pick). They better not screw this up thats all I can say... we need a young stud.

With Benning at the helm Im quite confident we will draft a stud.

Why isn't Draisaitl listed in the poll? ISS has him ranked 6th....

Draisaitl and Dal Colle were originally in the poll but everyone was voting for only them. The creator decided to take them out as they are expected top five picks and to see who the users want out of players that are more likely to be at pick #6.

Are you saying one of Fiala or Nylander doesn't get drafted in the top 12 then?

I say one does, likely Nylander

I am just saying I find it perplexing that some people think Nylander will go top 6. This is a weak draft so I could see one of them going in the top 12.

I wonder if VAN & ANA would consider trading,

ANA: 1st (6), 2nd (36)

VAN: 1st (10), 1st (24)

In a deeper draft maybe.. last year it might have been worth it. In this draft after the top 18 or so im not that impressed. If there are any trades with the Ducks I think it would be with Kesler. Seems like a perfect fit aside from them being in our division.

Archived