The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wonder if there is some consideration to flipping the 6th to Anaheim for the 10th and 24th?

10th: Virtanen/Fleury

24th: Demko/Lemeuix

I'm not sure where Fabbri would fit in unless they expect he might slip.

I wouldn't. I'd rather pick whoever we can get at 6th.

Sure. Saw it on HF (post # 225). There is some discussion that follows that statement also.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1676277&page=9

Yeah, not much context there or source info. Seems other posters there had the same questions I did, and the only mention of a source was for fan radio on Sirius. One of the first replies even noted the interviews last a few days and it's been noted today that Nylander and Ehlers are getting interviews now. Reinhart was interviewed as well.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=85765377&postcount=260

Saw this tweet today from one of the people covering the combine:

Mike Morreale @mikemorrealeNHL

Here are a few #NHLCombine interview totals w/ NHL clubs: Bennett 18; Ekblad 16; Reinhart 16; Demko 25; Nylander 25.

It seems there are more teams interviewing the top players because of uncertainty over who goes 1st overall.

I'd assume there might be bits and pieces of what's been happening on the usual Hockey Central/That's Hockey shows, and certainly there are a few people tweeting out information (like Mike Morreale). Articles on NHL.com and the like will be the only other information I think.

I wonder if there is some consideration to flipping the 6th to Anaheim for the 10th and 24th?

10th: Virtanen/Fleury

24th: Demko/Lemeuix

I'm not sure where Fabbri would fit in unless they expect he might slip.

If the top 5 is gone I would do that.

Interesting tidbits from the combine interviews today.

Canucks chose not to interview Nylander or Ehlers....but they did have longerinterviews with virtanen and fleury...they also interviewed fabbri, Lemieux,demko.

Saw this on HF. Not a solid source, but thought I'd share anyway.

Could be a case of Benning wanting to trade down, or maybe a trade for the 10th is a possibility as well as keeping the 6th and JB knowing who he wants at that pick already. Or maybe it means none of those things at all :) .

certainly could be kesler to anaheim for a prospect and the 10th.

Interesting tidbits from the combine interviews today.

Canucks chose not to interview Nylander or Ehlers....but they did have longerinterviews with virtanen and fleury...they also interviewed fabbri, Lemieux,demko.

Saw this on HF. Not a solid source, but thought I'd share anyway.

Could be a case of Benning wanting to trade down, or maybe a trade for the 10th is a possibility as well as keeping the 6th and JB knowing who he wants at that pick already. Or maybe it means none of those things at all :) .

I saw that too. Its not correct. They didnt interview them today. They plan to interview them tomorrow or Friday. Today they interviewed the ones you mentioned. Its a 4 day long interview.

Edit; It was from yesterday. They ignored Ritchie Ehlers and Nyander to concentrate on Virtanen and especially Fleury. Dont know who they interviewed today but its extremely hard to believe they wont interview Ehlers and Ritchie . Even if they dont want Nylander they might want to spend 10min with him just in case.

Very interesting.

I agree they must be looking at who they might select for an added pick. Due diligence and all. It doesn't some like they are interviewing for the 6th pick at all unless they are extremely high on Virtanen and Fleury.

They must have their mind made up on quite a few players already to not interview everybody.

I saw that too. Its not correct. They didnt interview them today. They plan to interview them tomorrow or Friday. Today they interviewed the ones you mentioned. Its a 4 day long interview.

Edit; It was from yesterday. They ignored Ritchie Ehlers and Nyander to concentrate on Virtanen and especially Fleury. Dont know who they interviewed today but its extremely hard to believe they wont interview Ehlers and Ritchie . Even if they dont want Nylander they might want to spend 10min with him just in case.

Yeah I wouldn't put too much stock into that. Obviously they are going to interview almost every player. That would be a terrible job not to do all your homework before you make your decision. There's plenty time left to do interviews as the physical part doesn't start till saturday.

Nylander has 25 interviews set up (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=720939) this week and considering NYR and OTT don't have first round picks I'd expect canucks to be one of those 25 teams that is scheduled to interview. Same could be said with Ehlers and Ritchie.

How crazy is it to think that Burke might take Ritchie at 4? They have less depth at RW than C or LW. He's the big, "truculent" player Burke likes. I think it's pretty unlikely but who knows with Burke. It would be great for us.

not crazy at all. Who ever will be available at number 4 is a player that comes by very often anyways. Around 6'0 tall and around 180 lbs. Their are plenty of those types of players. Plenty of those types of players in the following draft year . Mean while a 6'3 230 truculent player who can play offensive don't actually come by very often. I have a strong feeling Ritchie will actually be gone by the 6th pick. OH wells. I will be happy MDC although he despises the Canucks.

There’s no need to rebuild. Last year was an off year where everything went wrong all at once.

We have young players (Kassian, Tanev, Lack) slowing coming and making an impact in the league already. And we also have two stars that are signed for 4 more years. Our D core is strong and with the right coaching can get back on track. Sedins are not 40-50 point players, Edler is not a -30 player. Our team is filled with Olympians is a sign that yes we are strong enough to compete in this league.

Teams that go full rebuild are at that point because they don’t have any more options. The core they have isn’t enough to make playoffs and so they trade youth just to make a playoff push. They are then left with an old core and no youth coming up in the system. Canucks haven’t been trading away our prospects, So we don’t have to go that route.

We have a good core, and even getting high pick doesn’t guarantee that the next core will become any better than the core we already have. We’d waste 5 years of missing playoffs and be right back at the same spot we are now. A core trying to make playoffs and make a push.

As long as this core is good enough to make playoffs without having to add to it by giving up youth, there is no need for a rebuild. With good scouting and a good player development in place we can make the transition to the new core smooth and exciting. Our youth coming up with start to make some of the older players expendable (Horvat eventually replacing Kesler) and allow us to move them for either impact pieces our higher draft picks.

Also the core doesn’t need to be a full line up. In my opinion Higgins, Hansen, booth, Garrison are not the current core. The core is 4 forwards (Hossa, Sharp, Kane, Toews) , 2 Defencemen (Keith, Seabrook) and a goalie. The players outside that core are all expendable if the right deal comes along. (Kassian, Jensen?, Horvat?, Shinkaruk?) (Tanev, Corrado?) (Lack/Markstrom?). At most we should only have a max of 7 NTC’s on our roster.

And if were building that next core and we want this pick to be part of that. We should be picking a center with first line potential. Someone to give us that 1, 2 punch down the middle. Depending on who drop’s but we should either be trading up to get one of Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, or picking Nylander if we don’t trade and he’s still available at 6.

My Opinion anyways

I appreciate your opinion but I disagree on several fronts.

The team has been in decline before Torts got here . The team won 1 playoff game the previous 2 years. Our depth was for chit.

The twins are not star players. They arent even 80 point players anymore. They werent 80 point players in 2013 and even worse in 2014. They will rebound up to where they should be . 70 point players.

Our depth is still for chit. If we have secondary scoring from Kesler we certainly dont have it from the 3rd and 4th lines.Our defense is solid but our goaltending is not. We got 2 kids whom have never played a playoff game before.

I dont see what your endgame is. What is the point of chugging along . We are competing against Colorado and Minnesota whom both are going to get stronger for the 2 wildcards. What is the point of this? To draft 18th ? 15th? What about next year? The year after that? What is the endgame?

Teams are either building a contender, or contending or rebuilding. Our time has passed to honestly compete for the cup with this core. Lets take our medicine and rebuild. We only have 2 more years after this.

Archived