The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's gotta be Virtanen, Ehlers, or Ritchie.

I love what Virtanen brings but Ritchie can have the finesse and grit you need to balance out depending on circumstances. He has made beautiful saucer passes, as well as blasting in one timers with ease.

I've heard Virtanen attitude problems from the start, from Calgarians, and people from Abby.

Virtanen is about as young as you could about be in the WHL which is a huge plus in my books considering he'll have literally another 8-9 months of development on the years' same drafted players.

Between Virtanen and Ritchie, I don't buy the no RW in our system Jensen can snipe the puck, is big, and most importantly has IQ, the kid has put his time into the AHL and he's ready now.

Couple that with a pairing of Shinkaruk, Sedin, Gaunce/Cassels/Horvat and Dane Fox

the LW listed were Shinkaruk, Sedin, Gaunce and Horvat?

What? you're telling me Daniel who has been absolutely horrid since his concussion and 3 players who've never played an NHL game are our LW depth?

Ritchie is a LW and actually fills positional needs, mainly the fact Daniel Sedin is almost a 3rd liner

I love what Virtanen brings but Ritchie can have the finesse and grit you need to balance out depending on circumstances. He has made beautiful saucer passes, as well as blasting in one timers with ease.

I've heard Virtanen attitude problems from the start, from Calgarians, and people from Abby.

Virtanen is about as young as you could about be in the WHL which is a huge plus in my books considering he'll have literally another 8-9 months of development on the years' same drafted players.

Between Virtanen and Ritchie, I don't buy the no RW in our system Jensen can snipe the puck, is big, and most importantly has IQ, the kid has put his time into the AHL and he's ready now.

What? you're telling me Daniel who has been absolutely horrid since his concussion and 3 players who've never played an NHL game are our LW depth?

Ritchie is a LW and actually fills positional needs, mainly the fact Daniel Sedin is almost a 3rd liner

You makes some good points about Ritchie but I would like to think about it coming from a point of view that the prospect will be able to contribute in a meaningful way at age 22.

I think Kass wasted a year in Buffalo and wasnt properly developed until he got here so he is now holding his own at 23.

This is why I take the best player avail thinking in terms of 4 years from now.

You makes some good points about Ritchie but I would like to think about it coming from a point of view that the prospect will be able to contribute in a meaningful way at age 22.

I think Kass wasted a year in Buffalo and wasnt properly developed until he got here so he is now holding his own at 23.

This is why I take the best player avail thinking in terms of 4 years from now.

Ritchie is already far more developed than Kassian was. The kid looks like any of the top 10 forwards of anyyear with a complete skill set.

Ritchie would be going 4th overall easily if Dal colle or Draisaitl didn't perform so well.

Sounds a lot like Iginla, E. Kane, Neal and about a dozen other guys that this board has been screaming about for years now. And a RW to boot.

We can take a left winger with as much or more potential in the top 15 next year over Ehlers, but RW's at that age with that skill set and physicality are hard to come by.

I have no problems with either, but I was screaming for Tuch 4-5 months ago as a big steady RW and even then Virtanen was talked about highly. but we at that time didn't have a chance at drafting him so it was a pipe dream. Now we do and it's in our power to get him.

I stand by what I wanted for this org in 2013. Jake Virtanen. With his size and skill set he would be entering the league the same time as Centers, Horvat, Cassels, Gaunce, RW Grenier with also natural RWs Grenier and Jensen. Siding one of (currently) Fox Shinkaruk Welsh Archibald Zalewski or Kenins.

Now, while admittedly after Fox and Shinkaruk that LW position doesn't look to promising in the prospect bin. But it looks a hell of a lot deeper than our RW's at the moment and as Jensen is already playing in the league we have exactly....Grenier as our RW prospect.

Picking up LW's, skilled LW's is fairly common in every round of the draft but RWs worth the name are rare. Naturals no less like Virtanen.

I can say a right side of Kassian, Grenier, Virtanen and Jensen looks pretty awesome both for skill but also size.

Couple that with a pairing of Shinkaruk, Sedin, Gaunce/Cassels/Horvat and Dane Fox and that looks pretty awesome

Now center that with Sedin, Kesler, Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, Matthias, Lain

And that in 3 years is bloody awesome. (see that awesome trend?)

This is without factoring in another draft or two where we could possibly; if we repeat this year, get higher picks than usual and might actually add picks instead of trading for them. Increasing our available pool by a significant measure

I have to say we need RW's more than anything right now in an age where LWs and LW/C's are plentiful.

So, even though Ehlers may end up being the higher skilled player. We have a need and for both of their skill sets they are both the BPA....but we have a need for a RW BPA prospect more than another LW BPA prospect.

My 2 cents only but in 3 seasons really....that RW slot in our org and prospect pool is might mighty bare indeed

I disagree, I think our RW is stronger than LW, on RW we have Kassian & Jensen to fill up the top 6 spots as you said, then Grenier who could have 2nd/3rd tweener (Higgins/Hansen/Raymond) type upside. All natural RW's. While on the left side only really having Shinkaruk as a natural LW. If we had Jensen/Kass & Virtanen on the RW, then someone would be left out of the top 6.

But I don't think LW or RW should be a determining factor, Jensen can play RW or LW, as can Ehlers, as can Shinkaruk I'm sure, then we have centers like Horvat/Gaunce/Cassels/Fox who can play wing. Aswell Wingers can usually play both sides.

I also don't agree we can get a skilled player as good as Ehlers next year with a later pick. There's more depth next year but the quality in this draft is still high quality.

I dont think Virtanen is dynamic as Iginla, as far as playmaking. Kane is closer, but Kane had alot better numbers in junior and doesn't play the perimeter like Virtanen does. Neal is more of a trigger man that you get the puck to in good spots, Virtanen does it all himself, (tries to get himself in to spots to shoot).

I'm not saying that to be negative, I just don't think they are good comparisons, I think a better comparison is pre-concussion David Booth (and he was a pretty good player) except with a better shot & better hands. When you consider Booth had a 30 goal year, and was a consistent 20 goal guy, and that Virtanen is like him but with some better offensive tools, its certainly not a bad player.

I just think this pick should be about going with who we think as the highest upside. I think Ehlers, Ritchie, Nylander & even Kapanen all have higher upside than Virtanen which is why I prefer them, not to knock Virtanen who I think will be a very good player.

Nylander is really risky though, so I'm not sure I would take him, leaving the other 3 as my main preferred options. But its all opinion as you said, and we have our own.

And yes BanTSN, I have seen both Virtanen & Ehlers play.

Wow look at Ehlers just flop on that hit. On the slow motion you can see he barely got touched, but he flopped like my bowels with mexican food. Honestly, you guys see THAT playing in the NHL? If he had the supporting cast of the Ducks or Kings I could see it work, of sheer fear of repercussion, but with any other team he's basically wearing a bullseye on his chest.

Here's a pro scouting checklist on some players around our selection range.

(ratings 0-10, 10 being excellent):

Ehlers - Virtanen - Ritchie - Nylander

Skating:

Acceleration - 9 - 9 - 6 - 8

Speed - 9 - 9 - 6 - 8

Balance - 4 - 8 - 8 - 7

Mobility - 7 - 7 - 6 - 7

Backward skating - 6 - 9 - 5 - 6

Puck skills:

Shot accuracy - 8 - 8 - 7 - 7

Shot strength - 7 - 9 - 7 - 7

Shot release - 7 - 7 - 5 - 6

Possess multiple shot types - 6 - 7 - 5 - 7

Stickhandling ability - 8 - 7 - 6 - 8

Puck protection (ability to adjust body position & balance to keep or acquire puck) - 5 - 9 - 8 - 5

Faceoffs - 0 - 4 - 4 - 5

Giving a pass - 8 - 6 - 7 - 9

Receiving a pass - 8 - 7 - 6 - 9

Scoring touch (can he score several ways, smart around the net, has a nose for the net)- 7 - 9 - 6 - 7

Competitiveness:

Scoring drive (willing to battle, go to the net, pay the price to score) - 3 - 8 - 5 - 4

Work Ethic (overall effort, works and completes every shift regardless of score or venue) - 5 - 7 - 7 - 7

Attitude (level of maturity: well developed or 'a ways to go') - 7 - 5 - 4 - 4

Consistency - 7 - 5 - 4 - 7

Forechecking (puck pursuit, fights through checks) - 3 - 9 - 6 - 4

Physical play:

Board & Corner play (battles for loose pucks, willing to pay the price) - 3 - 8 - 6 - 3

Physical presence (size and strength used as an asset, tough to play against, punishes opponents) - 2 - 9 - 8 - 2

Conditioning - 7 - 6 - 3 - 7

Hitting (takes the body, effectively separates the opponent from the puck, willing to take a hit) - 3 - 9 - 8 - 2

Fighting (willing to fight and is capable) - 2 - 7 - 7 - 1

Hockey sense:

Playmaking (vision, offensive imagination, sets up teammates for scoring chances) - 7 - 6 - 6 - 8

Anticipation - 8 - 6 - 5 - 9

Discipline (avoids bad penalties, accepts a bad call, not drawn into retaliation) - 7 - 5 - 3 - 6

Decision making (ability to sort out options and make the right choices) - 6 - 6 - 5 - 6

Play under pressure (ability to make right decisions above while forechecked or in key situation) - 4 - 6 - 6 - 4

Versatility (able to play different positions, roles, special teams) - 4 - 6 - 5 - 4

Defensive play:

Defensive anticipation (reads play, gap control) - 4 - 7 - 6 - 5

Positioning (angles opponents, active away from puck) - 3 - 7 - 5 - 5

Backchecking (picks up the man, returns hard to defensive zone) - 3 - 8 - 5 - 5

Defensive reliability (used in critical situations) - 4 - 5 - 6 - 6

Psychological factors:

Leadership - 5 - 5 - 6 - 7

Communication (witnessed in-game examples of constructive discussions with teammates and coaches) - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5

Confidence - 7 - 9 - 6 - 7

Conclusions:

Ehlers is a skilled forward.

He is very fast, scores and distributes the puck well.

He needs to work on his strength, competitiveness, physical play and defensive play.

Virtanen is a power forward.

He is very fast, very strong, very competitive, supremely confident and has a very good shot.

He needs to work on his conditioning, consistency and perhaps maturity level. Perhaps 'too confident.'

Ritchie is a power forward.

He is very strong, distributes the puck well and has a good shot.

He needs to work on his discipline, competitiveness, conditioning and consistency. Previous injuries are a concern.

Nylander is a skilled forward.

He is fast, has a good shot and distributes the puck well.

He needs to work on his strength, competitiveness, physical play and maturity level.

Overall:

While Ehlers and Nylander are very fast and skilled, their competitiveness is a concern, as well as their lack of physical play. Paying attention to defense can be coached, yes, but can battle level? Will they pay the price? Even if they do grow? Not so sure. This is what's keeping them out of my top rankings.

Ritchie and Virtanen are big, skilled physical specimens that the Canucks may need more of. Virtanen's a bit faster and more skilled while Ritchie is definitely bigger. What concerns me of Ritchie is his injury history as well as his discipline. He also appears to be out of shape. The concern I have about Virtanen is that he's a bit arrogant, but I think I'm willing to roll the dice on the kid based on the tools at his disposal. He'll mature and if he's just this cocky SOB like Corey Perry, then so be it. I think the Canucks could definitely use that kinda swagger.

Looking at all the factors above, there is no doubt who the best overall player at around 6th is. It's Jake The Snake Virtanen.

Wow look at Ehlers just flop on that hit. On the slow motion you can see he barely got touched, but he flopped like my bowels with mexican food. Honestly, you guys see THAT playing in the NHL? If he had the supporting cast of the Ducks or Kings I could see it work, of sheer fear of repercussion, but with any other team he's basically wearing a bullseye on his chest.

is this the video? If not can you post it?

I'm sure any player would go down when they receive the butt end of a stick or a fist to the neck/head area from a player moving that fast.

I'm sure any player would go down when they receive the butt end of a stick or a fist to the neck/head area from a player moving that fast.

Shoulder, you mean. There was nothing dirty about that hit except that it was a bit too hard for him. Ehlers' team didn't even react.

Virtanen and Nylander have always been my favourites. IMO if we draft nylander he should play in the SEL and play big minutes in every situation or come over to NA and play in the AHL to get adjusted the NHL ice. If we draft virtanen i can see him going back to junior and scoring 50-60 goals and then making the jump to the NHL as a 2/3 line winger who plays on the power play. (given we have the room to add him to the roster)

edit: nothing important

Skating:

Speed - 9 - 9 - 6 - 8

Balance - 4 - 8 - 8 - 7

Mobility - 7 - 7 - 6 - 7

Puck skills:

Puck protection (ability to adjust body position & balance to keep or acquire puck) - 5 - 9 - 8 - 5

Faceoffs - 0 - 4 - 4 - 5

Scoring touch (can he score several ways, smart around the net, has a nose for the net)- 7 - 9 - 6 - 7

Competitiveness:

Scoring drive (willing to battle, go to the net, pay the price to score) - 3 - 8 - 5 - 4

Work Ethic (overall effort, works and completes every shift regardless of score or venue) - 5 - 7 - 7 - 7

Physical play:

Board & Corner play (battles for loose pucks, willing to pay the price) - 3 - 8 - 6 - 3

Physical presence (size and strength used as an asset, tough to play against, punishes opponents) - 2 - 9 - 8 - 2

Hitting (takes the body, effectively separates the opponent from the puck, willing to take a hit) - 3 - 9 - 8 - 2

Hockey sense:

Playmaking (vision, offensive imagination, sets up teammates for scoring chances) - 7 - 6 - 6 - 8

Discipline (avoids bad penalties, accepts a bad call, not drawn into retaliation) - 7 - 5 - 3 - 6

Decision making (ability to sort out options and make the right choices) - 6 - 6 - 5 - 6

Play under pressure (ability to make right decisions above while forechecked or in key situation) - 4 - 6 - 6 - 4

Versatility (able to play different positions, roles, special teams) - 4 - 6 - 5 - 4

Defensive play:

Psychological factors:

Communication (witnessed in-game examples of constructive discussions with teammates and coaches) - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5

Conclusions:

He needs to work on his strength, competitiveness, physical play and defensive play.

He is very fast, very strong, very competitive, supremely confident and has a very good shot.

He needs to work on his conditioning, consistency and perhaps maturity level. Perhaps 'too confident.'

He needs to work on his discipline, competitiveness, conditioning and consistency. Previous injuries are a concern.

He needs to work on his strength, competitiveness, physical play and maturity level.

Overall:

While Ehlers and Nylander are very fast and skilled, their competitiveness is a concern, as well as their lack of physical play. Paying attention to defense can be coached, yes, but can battle level? Will they pay the price? Even if they do grow? Not so sure. This is what's keeping them out of my top rankings.

Ritchie and Virtanen are big, skilled physical specimens that the Canucks may need more of. Virtanen's a bit faster and more skilled while Ritchie is definitely bigger. What concerns me of Ritchie is his injury history as well as his discipline. He also appears to be out of shape. The concern I have about Virtanen is that he's a bit arrogant, but I think I'm willing to roll the dice on the kid based on the tools at his disposal. He'll mature and if he's just this cocky SOB like Corey Perry, then so be it. I think the Canucks could definitely use that kinda swagger.

Looking at all the factors above, there is no doubt who the best overall player at around 6th is. It's Jake The Snake Virtanen.

I stopped reading this trechery when Ritchie was given a 5 and the lowest score for shot release. When in fact it's actually the exact opposite.

Ritchie heading into this draft, and mentioned by scouts already mentioned that he has the hardest and quickest wrist shot in this draft. It's so quick, it's unbelievable, and how it will be a huge advantage for him.

However I would much also prefer Virtannen over those 2 high risk Europeans. Any day anytime.

I really hope someone falls, because I don't want to hear all the people hating on who the Canucks pick because it wasn't who they thought they should pick from limited viewing and video's of a guy receiving one hit, or highlights etc...

Please any of the top 5!

It's the only way this thread will end... sort of.

Skating:

Speed - 9 - 9 - 6 - 8

Balance - 4 - 8 - 8 - 7

Mobility - 7 - 7 - 6 - 7

Puck skills:

Faceoffs - 0 - 4 - 4 - 5

Competitiveness:

Physical play:

Hockey sense:

Defensive play:

Psychological factors:

Conclusions:

Overall:

Took me awhile to read but overall Jake Virtanen seems to be the best out of all of them. He's got everything. He's willing to compete and his defensive game is much better than I thought according to the numbers. I think having someone cocky or enthusiastic on there team like Shinkaruk, will be good for the team. Those types of guys flurish in the playoffs .

With 6th overall pick my order is

1) Virtanen

2)Ritchie

3)Ehlers

4)Nylander

Yes the prospect LW's are listed as such, and yes as Sedin is the only LW we have in our system signed that long he will be on the roster still when these kids all break in together, and 3rd liner? Really?

Ritchie is like Ehlers is like Nylander is like anyone not named Ekblad really. A frigging project that won't be in our line up for 2+ seasons at least for obvious reasons

I am speaking about prospects by and large, using the twins as about the ONLY players guaranteed to still be here in 2-3 seasons as well.

Take Jensen out of the equation as him and Kassian will be in our line up NHL roster next season, and we have NO RW prospects after Grenier. Period, none at all

I really hope someone falls, because I don't want to hear all the people hating on who the Canucks pick because it wasn't who they thought they should pick from limited viewing and video's of a guy receiving one hit, or highlights etc...

Please any of the top 5!

It's the only way this thread will end... sort of.

this thread will never end :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Skating:

Speed - 9 - 9 - 6 - 8

Balance - 4 - 8 - 8 - 7

Mobility - 7 - 7 - 6 - 7

Puck skills:

Faceoffs - 0 - 4 - 4 - 5

Competitiveness:

Physical play:

Hockey sense:

Defensive play:

Psychological factors:

Conclusions:

Overall:

Ritchie actually has very good acceleration. His shot is much better than what you give him. How is Ehlers a 0 for faceoff? Ritchie's competitiveness should be higher. This list is just way too biased..

Archived