The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some would of said that in the past, for Edmonton drafting D....

I dunno.. Yak was a pretty clear #1 in 2012. You could have argued for Murray but at the time, it made some sense.

Every other year there wasn't really a defenseman of equal value to the forward they took in that spot. Top picks anyways.

You might be underestimating his value . Its worth a lot more than just moving from 6th to 1st in this draft. See my above post where I quote Duck and Penquin offers.

I think even though there may be more suitors this offseason. Kesler's value has dropped since the trade deadline. Those teams could have picked him up for 3 playoff runs now they only get him for two playoff runs.

You might be underestimating his value . Its worth a lot more than just moving from 6th to 1st in this draft. See my above post where I quote Duck and Penquin offers.

That's my feeling on it. If we didn't already have the 6th spot I would be all over it. But the jump from 6 to first isn't worth Kesler.. this year anyways. If there was a Tavares there then yeah but I don't see Reinhart in that class.

If Kes was willing to go there and we could trade a mid range prospect I would do it. Even something like Kesler Gaunce. That would be more the value I see for getting that pick. Equivalent of Kesler and around the 20th pick.

That's my feeling on it. If we didn't already have the 6th spot I would be all over it. But the jump from 6 to first isn't worth Kesler.. this year anyways. If there was a Tavares there then yeah but I don't see Reinhart in that class.

If Kes was willing to go there and we could trade a mid range prospect I would do it. Even something like Kesler Gaunce. That would be more the value I see for getting that pick. Equivalent of Kesler and around the 20th pick.

Also there's that rumour that once the Blackhawks are done Kesler will be moving there for Toews +. We'll have an embarrassment of riches again and won't be in need of Toews 2.0(Reinhart)

I think even though there may be more suitors this offseason. Kesler's value has dropped since the trade deadline. Those teams could have picked him up for 3 playoff runs now they only get him for two playoff runs.

No Keslers value hasn't dropped. At trade dead line there were only a small amount of teams that could add him due to cap space and they also didn't want to give up any players already making an impact in the NHL.

Now the list of teams if wide open, Depending on where Kes wants to play, and it's a complete buffet to what teams will be willing to give up to get him. Were not just stuck to young prospects and late first round picks.

Well lets see.

Ducks fans and by other sources claim they offered Etem , 10th overall pick plus some medium prospect for Kesler.

Or the Pens offered Pouliot , Sutter and their 1st (24) for Kesler

I believe these are proposals made here on CDC not actual offers from teams. I seem to recall that Pouliot wasn't on the table, the Pens offer was Sutter and their 1st (24th overall) which is a grabage offer IMO.

I also don't believe the Ducks offered up Etem.

I believe these are proposals made here on CDC not actual offers from teams. I seem to recall that Pouliot wasn't on the table, the Pens offer was Sutter and their 1st (24th overall) which is a grabage offer IMO.

I also don't believe the Ducks offered up Etem.

That is also how I remember it.

No Keslers value hasn't dropped. At trade dead line there were only a small amount of teams that could add him due to cap space and they also didn't want to give up any players already making an impact in the NHL.

Now the list of teams if wide open, Depending on where Kes wants to play, and it's a complete buffet to what teams will be willing to give up to get him. Were not just stuck to young prospects and late first round picks.

You seem to forget that at the trade deadline there were less players available to go to playoff teams (less than 10 teams were actually sellers at that point). Demand was high and supply was low. Also Kesler only has 2 playoff runs vs 3 he had on deadline. Now that the supply is higher, either through trades or free agency, one could expect Kesler's value to be lower. Moreover, there is more time during the offseason which means less pressure for potential suitors (they won't make knee-jerk offers in response to other teams moves as is often the case on deadline day). Thus, I think Kesler's value and the offers we will receive have dropped. But there is always the chance that a team will overpay--I really hope this is what happens.

You seem to forget that at the trade deadline there were less players available to go to playoff teams (less than 10 teams were actually sellers at that point). Demand was high and supply was low. Also Kesler only has 2 playoff runs vs 3 he had on deadline. Now that the supply is higher, either through trades or free agency, one could expect Kesler's value to be lower. Moreover, there is more time during the offseason which means less pressure for potential suitors (they won't make knee-jerk offers in response to other teams moves as is often the case on deadline day). Thus, I think Kesler's value and the offers we will receive have dropped. But there is always the chance that a team will overpay--I really hope this is what happens.

I can see why you think that, but I'll still disagree.

We only had a 3 team bidding war for Kes trade dead line. And that was them only offering what they could afford to not hurt there team come playoff time.

Now 29 teams have the option to put up the price for him. At the dead line we were just going to recieve prospects and draft picks to not disrupt team chemistry. Now any roster player and pick is availble. Also at the time we had no idea where each pick was situated. Canucks were sitting with the 13th overall and the OTT (ana) pick was 12th overal at the time of the deadline. For all we know pit's could have been the 29th. Now that it's set we can see what the real value is and have a good idea of what player we will likely get in that position.

The market for players like Kesler isn't big. Not many players can replace what he brings, expecially in big games.

Also teams don't worry about his 2 years left on his contract. If they want him still they will just resign him.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/

2006 is as far back as you can go for players height and weight in the previous draft results search pages what i found is that since 2006 not 1 European forward drafted in the 1st rnd that was Ehlers size ever turned into a star or even a top 6 forward.

I dont like those odds not 1 star not 1 European player drafted at his height and weight are in the top 6 on a playoff team so thats a hell no to Ehlers and also to the haters who want the Canucks to pick a player who will more than likely end up being a bust.

I dont like those odds not 1 star not 1 European player drafted at his height and weight are in the top 6 on a playoff team so thats a hell no to Ehlers and also to the haters who want the Canucks to pick a player who will more than likely end up being a bust.

Mikael Granlund.

I do believe your European research was players drafted out of europe, not of european origin.

Also honestly, there is bias in drafting. so no small europeans are drafted top 6, meaning that people draft them later, usually.

Does this mean that they aren't deserving of top 6 or does this mean people bias have made them usually drafted later?

Archived