The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've heard the top 12 is filled with 1st line potential players, top 6 is elite players. McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin and Kylington supposedly have franchise potential. Not sure about overall depth though... checking out the rankings and some of the players (CHL) in the 2nd round have the same amount of points in their rookie season as players in this years draft ranked out of the top 5 and below... could be as good as 2013 in terms of depth...

This player is ranked 48th, Blake Speers, had same or higher amount of points in rookie season as Perlini, Virtanen, and Bennett

Here's Rankings. http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2015/

lol based off that then being poor and landing a top 4 pick isn't the end of the world if vancouver possibly adds a franchise potential like player :D

lol based off that then being poor and landing a top 4 pick isn't the end of the world if vancouver possibly adds a franchise potential like player :D

I still wanna see linden and benning have some success out of the gate but getting one of those players would be unreal haha.

If we do tank next year I kinda hope we take a dman(unless Mcdavid or Eichel are there). Do the opposite of what Edmonton did, grab the franchise dman first then start taking forwards. Then your 23 yr old dman steps into the league and grows with your star 20yr old forwards.

I still wanna see linden and benning have some success out of the gate but getting one of those players would be unreal haha.

If we do tank next year I kinda hope we take a dman(unless Mcdavid or Eichel are there). Do the opposite of what Edmonton did, grab the franchise dman first then start taking forwards. Then your 23 yr old dman steps into the league and grows with your star 20yr old forwards.

I don't see this team missing playoffs again. So many things went wrong this year for it to happen (injuries, dumb coach, mass team slumps). There's just too much talent on this roster for last year to not be just a small blimp. Sedins will probably come back next year with a ton more drive.. I think our best option at getting a high pick next year is through a kesler trade this offseason or at the draft this year.

I don't see this team missing playoffs again. So many things went wrong this year for it to happen (injuries, dumb coach, mass team slumps). There's just too much talent on this roster for last year to not be just a small blimp. Sedins will probably come back next year with a ton more drive.. I think our best option at getting a high pick next year is through a kesler trade this offseason or at the draft this year.

Id rather trade Kesler and maybe a few other parts and take our chances. If we barely make the playoffs and get bounced in 4-5 games again or even worse miss by a few points ill lose my mind. Either rebuild or go all in.

I actually think he could be better than that. He did put up 14 goals and 21 points in the 48 game lock out year. Giving the right ice time and right line mates. We will see what happens this off season but the Booth Matthias Kassian line at the end of last year was our best line a lot of nights.

I do agree tho, this team doesn't need a big PWF, We could really use some high end skill. Someone to compliment our current young roster

Pretty sure that line was Booth, Richardson, Kassian. Not Matthias. That said, I like him, hope we retain him.

The more I hear of new managements "direction", the more I think we're drafting Virtanen (unless MDC, Draisaitl etc fall to us).

Id rather trade Kesler and maybe a few other parts and take our chances. If we barely make the playoffs and get bounced in 4-5 games again or even worse miss by a few points ill lose my mind. Either rebuild or go all in.

There’s no need to rebuild. Last year was an off year where everything went wrong all at once.

We have young players (Kassian, Tanev, Lack) slowing coming and making an impact in the league already. And we also have two stars that are signed for 4 more years. Our D core is strong and with the right coaching can get back on track. Sedins are not 40-50 point players, Edler is not a -30 player. Our team is filled with Olympians is a sign that yes we are strong enough to compete in this league.

Teams that go full rebuild are at that point because they don’t have any more options. The core they have isn’t enough to make playoffs and so they trade youth just to make a playoff push. They are then left with an old core and no youth coming up in the system. Canucks haven’t been trading away our prospects, So we don’t have to go that route.

We have a good core, and even getting high pick doesn’t guarantee that the next core will become any better than the core we already have. We’d waste 5 years of missing playoffs and be right back at the same spot we are now. A core trying to make playoffs and make a push.

As long as this core is good enough to make playoffs without having to add to it by giving up youth, there is no need for a rebuild. With good scouting and a good player development in place we can make the transition to the new core smooth and exciting. Our youth coming up with start to make some of the older players expendable (Horvat eventually replacing Kesler) and allow us to move them for either impact pieces our higher draft picks.

Also the core doesn’t need to be a full line up. In my opinion Higgins, Hansen, booth, Garrison are not the current core. The core is 4 forwards (Hossa, Sharp, Kane, Toews) , 2 Defencemen (Keith, Seabrook) and a goalie. The players outside that core are all expendable if the right deal comes along. (Kassian, Jensen?, Horvat?, Shinkaruk?) (Tanev, Corrado?) (Lack/Markstrom?). At most we should only have a max of 7 NTC’s on our roster.

And if were building that next core and we want this pick to be part of that. We should be picking a center with first line potential. Someone to give us that 1, 2 punch down the middle. Depending on who drop’s but we should either be trading up to get one of Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, or picking Nylander if we don’t trade and he’s still available at 6.

My Opinion anyways

Don't agree with you completely. I guess it's too soon to discuss best possible pick in the 2015 draft right now, because we have no idea what's going to happen in this years draft, and we have no idea where we'll end up next year. Will anyone from the projected top5 this year (Dal Colle/Draisaitl) drop? If not, will we pick a winger with the 6th overall or will we pick a center (Nylander)? Will Kesler stay or will we trade him? Going into this draft, we don't really have ANY center prospect with "true 1st line potential". That's probably your organization's most important position. Looking at the 2015 draft, there are plenty of centers with realistic franchise/1st line potential. Sure, there's also a few franchise defensemen like Hanifin, Kylington. But personally, i would rather pick a center with realistic 1st line potential, at least in our position. Especially since the 2015 draft is such a good draft for centers.

Interesting tidbits from the combine interviews today.
Canucks chose not to interview Nylander or Ehlers....but they did have longerinterviews with virtanen and fleury...they also interviewed fabbri, Lemieux,demko.

Saw this on HF. Not a solid source, but thought I'd share anyway.

Could be a case of Benning wanting to trade down, or maybe a trade for the 10th is a possibility as well as keeping the 6th and JB knowing who he wants at that pick already. Or maybe it means none of those things at all :) .

Canucks chose not to interview Nylander or Ehlers....but they did have longerinterviews with virtanen and fleury...they also interviewed fabbri, Lemieux,demko.

Could be a case of Benning wanting to trade down, or maybe a trade for the 10th is a possibility as well as keeping the 6th and JB knowing who he wants at that pick already. Or maybe it means none of those things at all :) .

I'm telling you it's a fallen top 5 or Virtanen (Fleury outside shot depending on what they see in him). Wouldn't be at all surprised to see us make a move to go up or down either possibly including that Kesler trade and/or moving Tanev.

Very interesting.

I agree they must be looking at who they might select for an added pick. Due diligence and all. It doesn't some like they are interviewing for the 6th pick at all unless they are extremely high on Virtanen and Fleury.

They must have their mind made up on quite a few players already to not interview everybody.

I think it is comparable to how Anaheim(Linholm) and Montreal(Galchenyuk) had those off years, and they drafted well.

Care to add a link to the post that noted it? Really hard to put much stock in it without the original context.

I wonder if there is some consideration to flipping the 6th to Anaheim for the 10th and 24th?

10th: Virtanen/Fleury

24th: Demko/Lemeuix

I'm not sure where Fabbri would fit in unless they expect he might slip.

I like the thinking behind this. Lets lets our GM do his magic. Might be worthwhile if we can steal a player we like and get a later pick. 24th overall isnt that bad either.

Found this tidbit on HF to be interesting:

Re: Interviews --> I'm not sure how common it is league-wide, but Buffalo has a mental skills coach in Dr. Barbara Meyer and judging by 2013's combine video, she basically looks to catch prospects with an off-guard question or two because she knows they're coached up to answer typical ones. Also, AGM Kevin Devine added in that video that Mike Weber was an example of a past draftee that actually bumped himself up their list with his interview.

Wondering if the Canucks will be using something of the sort. Jim Benning was Buffalo's amateur scouting director at the time this mental skills coach was put in place for the Mike Weber example.

Archived