The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TSN was saying between periods that Pearson got passed up in his draft eligible due to lack of speed and conditioning. Also, on Toffoli he dropped because of conditioning. Obviously LA addressed that with these 2 youngsters and now look at them.

If that is the problem with Ritchie then I think that could be addressed with the right development does that make him perfect? Consistency is also common with young players but does he have a work ethic? I don't know.

Just a little information about some issues Ritchie has.

I find it less about his work ethic and conditioning and more so about the type of player we need.

We need an offensively gifted player that can skate because we lack both speed and skill.

Ritchie lacks the speed players like Nylander and Ehlers have and has a limitied offensive skill set due to his size whereas Nylander and Ehlers games are built on those aspects.

Ritchie will be a good player but we need a player like Nylander or Ehlers more so than we do Ritchie.

That is the truth.

Yes, but why.

Why would he get bigger he already lost 10 lbs this past year from 236 to 225, He'll drop all his fat and then gain a good 10 llbs of muscle topping out at 228~.

His speed is amazing if you actually checked it out, as well in his interview he said the thing he's worked on the most is his speed and conditioning haha

The Pylon factor is real, but the kid is educated enough to know that's his weakness.

Height wise something you can't control, obviously his conditioning is still not good enough from combine results. Sestito used to be that skilled powerforward in junior but grew and now he is on the 4th line, his body grew to the point where he couldn't do what he wanted to do skill wise. But yes Ritchie is pretty fast for his size right now

problem with your theory is his body fat ratio was bad so it is proved that he is all chunk when it comes too his weight and his bench press was bad showing lack of strength. not something you want in a power forward.

I am not standing in defense of any of them but just stating that being a bigger guy doesn't always translate well in to fitness tests like this.

Yeah i agree but nylanders excellent combine was due to his leg strength, balance and hand-eye not pullups

No argument there at all, he's impressive physically and posted great numbers

This is true, but at the same time, that's not all Nylander did....

How do you explain his ranking top ten in leg power?

He's got trunks, which is something people should really consider when saying he won't excel in the Pacific. Legs that powerful mean he's got some growing to do or once he's done will be a freak of nature. Bure had legs like that.....

Did you know that one of Nylanders best qualities is the fact that he is strong on the puck? he can hold guys bigger then him off (Look at him playing against men) and make crazy passes while doing it. that is rare.

Nylander is very elusive indeed

Ehlers had 104 points and Ritchie had 74 . That is not something you brush off because you are 'bigger' . That is a huge amount. No spin can make up for something like that.

Interestingly enough, Ehlers got 70% of his points without Drouin . Most of the other 30% was on the power play. That is how many points a player racks up with the extra man. More points =more $$$ . No wonder coaches hold PP time hostage for players to perform.

Also its worth mentioning that the OHL scored 6.9 goals a game, the QMJHL 6.8 and the WHL 6.6

Times have certainly changed.

Sure Ehlers had 30 more points. But 70% he was playing against the second best forward line and the second best defensive pairing. According to your statement that he spent 70% of his time without Drouin who would have obviously had to face the other teams top players. Ritchie on the other hand had to play against the other teams top forwards and dmen game in and out.

Sure Ehlers has more skill than Ritchie at the junior level and if the Canucks were a junior team I would pick Ehlers. But the fact is the Canucks play in the NHL which demands different attributes to succeed. If Ehlers weight (162) is accurate as reported by the combine he will not be able to implement his skill at the NHL level without at least 20 pounds of muscle. Assuming his height is 5'11 and his weight is 162 he would likely be considered an ectomorph body type good luck trying to put 20 pounds of muscle on in 5 years while playing hockey.

What it boils down to is that you don't draft players on what they have done you draft them based on what they could do at the NHL level.

You sir are a scholar and a gentleman

Not at all just shows how those who are less talented must work harder to compensate for that and when those top talented players work hard they are stars.

Yea, I found all the prospects actually handled themselves very professionally considering they are all kids, I was impressed by their interviews shown on the oilers page.

And Nylander clearly takes his training seriously, he is going to be a strong player, softness will not be an issue for him I believe.

No problem. This place really isn't that awful once you remove a few bad apples.

Sure Ehlers had 30 more points. But 70% he was playing against the second best forward line and the second best defensive pairing. According to your statement that he spent 70% of his time without Drouin who would have obviously had to face the other teams top players. Ritchie on the other hand had to play against the other teams top forwards and dmen game in and out.

Sure Ehlers has more skill than Ritchie at the junior level and if the Canucks were a junior team I would pick Ehlers. But the fact is the Canucks play in the NHL which demands different attributes to succeed. If Ehlers weight (162) is accurate as reported by the combine he will not be able to implement his skill at the NHL level without at least 20 pounds of muscle. Assuming his height is 5'11 and his weight is 162 he would likely be considered an ectomorph body type good luck trying to put 20 pounds of muscle on in 5 years while playing hockey.

What it boils down to is that you don't draft players on what they have done you draft them based on what they could do at the NHL level.

Karlsson says hi

I am not standing in defense of any of them but just stating that being a bigger guy doesn't always translate well in to fitness tests like this.

No argument there at all, he's impressive physically and posted great numbers

He's got trunks, which is something people should really consider when saying he won't excel in the Pacific. Legs that powerful mean he's got some growing to do or once he's done will be a freak of nature. Bure had legs like that.....

You definitely make good points and I agree that the combine has a lot of tests that can be biased towards leaner guys (pull up test for example). Grip test on the other hand (woah, no pun intended) is something that bigger guys should dominate, but Ritchie wasn't part of that group.

Also, I don't know all of the ways they tested legs, but leg presses can really be biased for shorter guys depending on how they are seated.

Eagle_LegPress-resized-600.jpg

The guy in the picture is tall, so when he starts his leg press, his knees are near his chin and he basically has to rely on his hamstrings to push the weight. In contrast, for a shorter guy, if the seat isn't moved in closer to the foot pad, he basically has his entire leg (hamstrings and calve muscles) to push with.

I maybe didn't explain this so well, but I know for a fact that it is true. I played senior soccer in grade eight and I would shock 16 and 17 year olds by pressing more weight than them. Didn't realize until quite a bit later that it was because the machine was biased in favour of shorter people.

You definitely make good points and I agree that the combine has a lot of tests that can be biased towards leaner guys (pull up test for example). Grip test on the other hand (woah, no pun intended) is something that bigger guys should dominate, but Ritchie wasn't part of that group.

Also, I don't know all of the ways they tested legs, but leg presses can really be biased for shorter guys depending on how they are seated.

Eagle_LegPress-resized-600.jpg

The guy in the picture is tall, so when he starts his leg press, his knees are near his chin and he basically has to rely on his hamstrings to push the weight. In contrast, for a shorter guy, if the seat isn't moved in closer to the foot pad, he basically has his entire leg (hamstrings and calve muscles) to push with.

I maybe didn't explain this so well, but I know for a fact that it is true. I played senior soccer in grade eight and I would shock 16 and 17 year olds by pressing more weight than them. Didn't realize until quite a bit later that it was because the machine was biased in favour of shorter people.

Leg presses usually adjust to hight

Archived