The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You're right. Just by looking at the names attached to the numbers, it would appear that the numbers are meaningless. These numbers are suggesting that 5'-11" 170lb William Nylander is more powerful than 6'-7" 210lb Morin? Okay. No.

Meanwhile last combine Drouin, Jones and MacKinnon all elected not to do physical testing. And how did that affect their draft status?

And Nikushkin said in all of his interviews that he wanted to play in the NHL. He still fell in the draft.

You'll find combine numbers being a total non-factor when it comes to the draft. It is a dog and pony show.

I'm growing weary of all the misinformation presented to us after a fairly bad draft choice put out there to artificially inflate the picks' NHL upside. Year after year after year.

I know it's not completely relevant, but to be fair he DID have a clause in his contract that prevented him from playing in the AHL or any other league other than the KHL if he didn't make an NHL team. So I don't think it was necessarily a matter of whether he wanted to come to North America or not.

Speaking of which, I sure hope that Vladislav Kamenev falls to us for the same reason Nichuskin falls. I haven't heard anything about Kamenev having the same clause in his contract but he is definitely working on terminating it for sure. Would make a great 2 or 3 round pick.

Yeah thats fine, my point is, you don't trade one of your top tradable assets for spare parts. You fix your first problem first and that would be a first and second line winger.

I've been trying to get this point across forever. Some of these guys think they have infinite assets to screw around with. We're already going to be short as it and we got people trying to bring in a 6th top 4 defender.

I don't subscribe.

They are calling Nylander a wild card, possible top 5, possible still around at 10. Can't read the whole thing.

can you copy and paste the draft?

Ryan Leslie @theryanleslie · 9m
Burke on the draft: we might take a Nick Ritchie because we need a big winger.

Ryan Leslie @theryanleslie

For context on Burke referring to Bennett, Ritchie etc it was about best player vs org need. Not tipping hand on who Flames will take

IF burke indeed draft Ritchie at #4 means a top 5 will fall to the canucks. I think it'd be One of sams or draisaitl. NYI will likely take a winger ie: MDC, Ehlers. Vancouver may not have to trade up..

For context on Burke referring to Bennett, Ritchie etc it was about best player vs org need. Not tipping hand on who Flames will take

IF burke indeed draft Ritchie at #4 means a top 5 will fall to the canucks. I think it'd be One of sams or draisaitl. NYI will likely take a winger ie: MDC, Ehlers. Vancouver may not have to trade up..

drooooooool

Ryan Leslie @theryanleslie · 9mBurke on the draft: we might take a Nick Ritchie because we need a big winger.

Been thinking something like this might happen, I would be happy with any of the top 5 falling.

Not even sure which Scenario I like best!

If there is a Kesler trade for another top 10pick that would be great!

Prospect pool would be quickly refreshed!

You might be the only person in the world who would not want Bennett. Bennett is simply a better prospect than Ehlers. It has not been talked about, but he has one of the best release in the draft. He is quick on his feet. He has great vision. He plays a very strong two-way game and is not afraid to step it up physically despite his 180 lbs.I have actually seen him throw some pretty decent hits from time to time. He has also been compared to Jonathan Toews a few times. He's not great in the faceoff dot but other than that, I don't see any weakness in his game.

Hyperbole. The cornerstone of every winning rebuttal.

I dont think he is better than Ehlers- or Nylander. I appreciate your glowing endorsement of him though. It read like a brochure.. Ehlers had a better year. I think both Nylander and Ehlers are better prospects.

I'm curious to see Nylanders upside in general. If the Canucks take him cool, there's lots of data to back him up at 6. Realistically I think we all want to know how good he's actually going to be. Is he that can't miss offensive player that some scouts talk about, or is he the undersized bust potential player that CDC has labelled him?

Will be interesting to see who's right

He does have more risk than the comparable higher picks like Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaitl because his game isn't as well rounded. If he can't keep from being a liability anytime he doesn't have the puck in the offensive zone, that'd be an issue. Not saying it is now, but the other three centers mentioned are certainly safer. Some of the other options might be as well, but that can be said about a lot of players not worthy of a 6th overall pick.

He does have more risk than the comparable higher picks like Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaitl because his game isn't as well rounded. If he can't keep from being a liability anytime he doesn't have the puck in the offensive zone, that'd be an issue. Not saying it is now, but the other three centers mentioned are certainly safer. Some of the other options might be as well, but that can be said about a lot of players not worthy of a 6th overall pick.

Nobody is going to convince me Nylander is a higher risk of a pick than Ritchie or Virtanen We are picking 6th and he has to be the guy we take if the top 5 go as planned.

The guys size or his NA game wasnt my major concern. It was a 2nd concern but lots of Swedish players convert. It was his attitude . Once we saw how professional the kid was, it was a no brainer for us.

Fry-WigOut.gif

Hyperbole. The cornerstone of every winning rebuttal.

I dont think he is better than Ehlers- or Nylander. I appreciate your glowing endorsement of him though. It read like a brochure.. Ehlers had a better year. I think both Nylander and Ehlers are better prospects.

You still have not given me a legitimate reason as to why Ehlers is better. Bennett is simply better in almost every area

If that's true then Draisaitl is my best bet to drop. MDC will most likely be going the the NYI. Reinhart and Ekblad are both going top 2. Bennett should go 3rd unless EDM has other ideas.

Dream scenario:

Florida: Ekblad

Buffalo: Bennett

Edmonton: Draisaitl

Calgary: Ritchie

NY Islanders: Dal Colle

Vancouver: Reinhart

You still have not given me a legitimate reason as to why Ehlers is better. Bennett is simply better in almost every area

I guess you arent able to read a stat sheet. Nor answer why he is a better pick than Nylander. You conveniently ignore Nyander in your weak mind games. Ehlers stats are self explanatory. . More goals, more points better playoff , in spite of the fact it was only his first year in NA.

You realize the OHL scored 6.9 goals per game and the QMJHL scored 6.8

You are cherry picking parts of an argument and ignoring everything else .....for the sake of arguing.

You arent much good at this son.. Stick to whoring for Ritchie. Or have you thrown him under the bus full time now?

Dream scenario:

Florida: Ekblad

Buffalo: Bennett

Edmonton: Draisaitl

Calgary: Ritchie

NY Islanders: Dal Colle

Vancouver: Reinhart

I just cant imagine Reinhart falling to 6th IMO he is the best forward in the draft, lovely dream though and I hope it comes true

This is realistically what will happen barring trades:

FLA: Ekblad

BUF: Reinhart

EDM: Bennett/Draisaitl

CAL: Draisaitl/Bennett

NYI: MDC/Nylander

VAN: Nylander/MDC

Then it is a massive crapshoot: Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen, Kapanen, Perlini, Fleury, Tuch etc

At the end of the day we are guaranteed one of Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, MDC and Nylander

All 5 of them have 1st line potential talent, let us just pray the best one falls to us!

I just cant imagine Reinhart falling to 6th IMO he is the best forward in the draft, lovely dream though and I hope it comes true

This is realistically what will happen barring trades:

FLA: Ekblad

BUF: Reinhart

EDM: Bennett/Draisaitl

CAL: Draisaitl/Bennett

NYI: MDC/Nylander

VAN: Nylander/MDC

Then it is a massive crapshoot: Ehlers, Ritchie, Virtanen, Kapanen, Perlini, Fleury, Tuch etc

At the end of the day we are guaranteed one of Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl, MDC and Nylander

All 5 of them have 1st line potential talent, let us just pray the best one falls to us!

I would be very happy with either of these two and it seems most likely. :)

Maybe I missed it but could someone link me to where MDC states, suggests, or even hints at hating the Canucks? I have searched the forum, googled it and nada, please share.

I have never found it either but I just ignore it as teenage gossip. If the guy grew up considering the Canucks some main rival to a team he cheered for , so what?

Virtanen is going to refuse to report to Chicago or Boston because he was raised in Vancouver?

I guess you arent able to read a stat sheet. Nor answer why he is a better pick than Nylander. You conveniently ignore Nyander in your weak mind games. Ehlers stats are self explanatory. . More goals, more points better playoff , in spite of the fact it was only his first year in NA.

You realize the OHL scored 6.9 goals per game and the QMJHL scored 6.8

You are cherry picking parts of an argument and ignoring everything else .....for the sake of arguing.

You arent much good at this son.. Stick to whoring for Ritchie. Or have you thrown him under the bus full time now?

I'd take Bennett over Nylander & Ehlers aswell.

While Nylander/Ehlers may have a higher level of pure offensive skill, Bennett's skill level is still very very high and he brings more elsewhere.

Tough comparison between Ehlers & Bennett, but Bennett is a center, and has a more rounded game IMO.

Nylander/Bennett is still Bennett for me, both are centers aswell so its easier to compare, again Nylanders pure skill level is higher, but Bennett plays with more of an edge, better defensively, but just brings more in more areas of the game aside from offense, and I like his style offensively, at times he could stand to use his teammates better, but his compete level is off the charts, he will do anything to score when he has the puck on his stick.

Archived