The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th Pick: 2014 NHL Entry Draft

davinci

6th Pick   

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd go by NHL central scouting over mock drafts any day. And on there he's #6, based on speed, size, shooting ability, and compete level, which are all superior to Nylander's.

The 'dangerously undersized' assessment on Nylander here http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1735670-pros-and-cons-of-the-top-prospects-in-the-2014-nhl-draft is enough to make Nylander fall harshly. He doesn't have the chippiness or battle level to counter his lack of size.

I say let him fall. We have too many undersized prospects as it is.

I agree. But I do wish central scouting would put out a combined rankings. People have a tendency to look at central scouting and think the Canucks could have a 6-8 ranked NA skater or a 1-2 Euro skater (which "looks" better). If it were combined those top Euro skaters would likely be ranked at the highest 8-10.

Why? Because you like impish euros?

I'm not a huge fan of Ritchie, but I'd take him in a heartbeat over those buttery-soft preseason flash players.

Canucks fans confuse me. They want this team to be able to compete with the big boys, but then they fall in love with ridiculously undersized prospects. Hey, I'd be more impressed with that idea if these smallish guys were legit stars, but they're not.

That being said if it came down to Ritchie or Virtanen, i'd lean towards Virtanen. That kid can SKATE. He's faster than Nylander and Kapanen and just as fast as Ehlers while coming with other valueable intangibles. Only problem is that he doesn't get enough assists. Oh noes.

Having one small player with talent does not mean your team cannot compete against the big boys, but having a dangerously skilled player would be something I'd immensely prefer over a player using his size to dominate 16 year old boys. Build big around them sure, but that's not where I'd like to see them go.

I would like Virtanen over Ritchie too, what if comes down to is I just really do not like Ritchie as a prospect at all.

Kapanen isn't undersized either, he's 6'0" 180 pounds currently according to Elite Prospects. Certainly not big, but he's not going to get manhandled like Schroeder all over the ice (which Nylander could potential end up having happen).

After watching that video of Nylander that shows some top end skills. Reminds me of Patty Kane the way he stick handles which is amazing..but again the issue of size. Definitely going to be a tough choice for the canucks.

ISS just updated their rankings today.

1. Reinhart

2. Ekblad

3. Dal Colle ▲

4. Bennett ▼

5. Nylander *

6. Draisaitl ▼

7. Perlini

8. Tuch ▲

9. Ritchie ▼

10. Virtanen

11. Ehlers *

12. Fleury ▼

13. Kapanen *

14. Larkin

15. McCann

*Undersized

I wonder if Tuch will continue to rise in the draft. He's another big and skilled right-shooter that we could use in our pool.

Also Fleury, the top LD in the draft. Bluechip defensemen tend to rise.

If some players do rise as expected, then perhaps we can nab Dal Colle, Draisaitl or hell, even Bennett. I'd be concerned about Draisaitl's battle level. Esp. for the playoffs. But there's no doubt he's a great german prospect.

I like what Dal Colle brings to the table. Good overall center with a high compete level.

Certainly enough talent around at 6th for us to pickup without burning a pick on an undersized project with little compete level.

After watching that video of Nylander that shows some top end skills. Reminds me of Patty Kane the way he stick handles which is amazing..but again the issue of size. Definitely going to be a tough choice for the canucks.

Nylander is the most skilled player in the draft....although,the last thing we need is another Micheal Grabner situation.Here's to hoping one of the top 5 falls in the draft.

I'd go by NHL central scouting over mock drafts any day. And on there he's #6, based on speed, size, shooting ability, and compete level, which are all superior to Nylander's.

The 'dangerously undersized' assessment on Nylander here http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1735670-pros-and-cons-of-the-top-prospects-in-the-2014-nhl-draft is enough to make Nylander fall harshly. He doesn't have the chippiness or battle level to counter his lack of size.

I say let him fall. We have too many undersized prospects as it is.

Nylander is a 17 year old. He's still going to grow and put on more muscle. That report was in August of 2013 and listed him as 5'10" and 170 lbs. According to the latest ISS rankings released this earlier today, Nylander is now 5'11" and 176 lbs. Who's to say he can't grow another inch and gain another 5-10-15-20 pounds by the time he's ready for the NHL?

I think he'll end up being 6'0" 185 lbs, which is similar to the Sedins and is certainly respectable. Speed and skill is his game, but if you surround him with bigger forwards like Kassian or Jensen or Gaunce, then is his lack of size really something to worry about?

Nylander is a 17 year old. He's still going to grow and put on more muscle. That report was in August of 2013 and listed him as 5'10" and 170 lbs. According to the latest ISS rankings released this earlier today, Nylander is now 5'11" and 176 lbs. Who's to say he can't grow another inch and gain another 5-10-15-20 pounds by the time he's ready for the NHL?

I think he'll end up being 6'0" 185 lbs, which is similar to the Sedins and is certainly respectable. Speed and skill is his game, but if you surround him with bigger forwards like Kassian or Jensen or Gaunce, then is his lack of size really something to worry about?

There's no reason for us to pass on one of those other legit kids for him. He's a non-factor on defense, small, perimeter-style and gee, aren't we done with trying to win with these type of players? He'll be crushed by our SoCal division rivals. Do him a favour and let him fall to a team out east where he'd like the style a little bit more.

1. Reinhart

2. Ekblad

3. Dal Colle ▲

4. Bennett ▼

5. Nylander *

6. Draisaitl ▼

7. Perlini

8. Tuch ▲

9. Ritchie ▼

10. Virtanen

11. Ehlers *

12. Fleury ▼

13. Kapanen *

14. Larkin

15. McCann

*Undersized

I wonder if Tuch will continue to rise in the draft. He's another big and skilled right-shooter that we could use in our pool.

If some players do rise as expected, then perhaps we can nab Dal Colle, Draisaitl or hell, even Bennett. I'd be concerned about Draisaitl's battle level. Esp. for the playoffs. But there's no doubt he's a great german prospect.

I like what Dal Colle brings to the table. Good overall center with a high compete level.

Certainly enough talent around at 6th for us to pickup without burning a pick on an undersized project with little compete level.

How is Kapanen undersized? He is bigger than Bennett and weighs same as Dal Colle?

What concerns you about Leons battle levels? His team sucks and he still was PPG in 1st round playoffs.

And for those who question his speed watch 1:43 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyD3gjpERAg

Dal Colle I see as a winger more than a C

And for those saying we are in a position to take Nylander at 6th http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

They currently agree with you! I really hope ISS is right and Draisaitl slips to us doeeeee!

1. Reinhart

2. Ekblad

3. Dal Colle ▲

4. Bennett ▼

5. Nylander *

6. Draisaitl ▼

7. Perlini

8. Tuch ▲

9. Ritchie ▼

10. Virtanen

11. Ehlers *

12. Fleury ▼

13. Kapanen *

14. Larkin

15. McCann

*Undersized

Lol it's time to stop calling Kapanen undersized.

Do people still have a hard on for Virtanen? Why in the world would not take the best player available when we have the 6th overall pick? It's not like we get this close to the top 5 all the time.

Since he's ranked #6 by NHL central scouting, he may be the best player available.

My question is why the hard on last year for Shinkaruk when he fell so hard in the draft, but we're not allowed to be excited about Virtanen, who's freakin' from Abbotsford?!?

CDC confuses the hell out of me at times.

Hunter-Bo-Jake: Me like. That's a complete line featuring good-great players all in their natural positions and they can play all sorts of different styles.

Draisaitl could be the player that falls out of the top 5…Compared with Anze Kopitar …although like TOM said,can be a bit slow/lazy…..Still,Horvat and Drasaitl would be a considerable one two punch for the Canucks

If there's one player falling out of the top-5 I think it would be Draisaitl. It's not even that much of a stretch, and I want him BAD if he falls to 6.

NYI seems like the kind of team that would pick Nylander. Draisaitl would be a no-brainer for the Canucks.

There's no reason for us to pass on one of those other legit kids for him. He's a non-factor on defense, small, perimeter-style and gee, aren't we done with trying to win with these type of players? He'll be crushed by our SoCal division rivals. Do him a favour and let him fall to a team out east where he'd like the style a little bit more.

You sound completely ridiculous, maplelaughs. I get it, you want to draft bigger players but trying to describe a kid ranked 5th overall on iss as if he's bill sweat is retarded.

Sure he could grow to 6' he is either 5'11" or 5'10" we will find out at the draft combine. I doubt he will put on more than an inch if he does grow at all. The issue is his weight coupled with his style of play. It isn't that easy to put on 15-20 pounds of muscle that takes years. He put up good numbers in Europe because 1. it is less physical (which complements his game) and 2. the big ice complements his speed.

Do you really want to see Nylander in a Canucks uniform going up and taking a faceoff against Kopitar, Thorton, Getzlaf, etc?

As a side note: Nylanders highlights videos are not that impressive. He holds onto the puck far too long and did anyone else notice how far out of position some of those goalies were?

Since he's ranked #6 by NHL central scouting, he may be the best player available.

My question is why the hard on last year for Shinkaruk when he fell so hard in the draft, but we're not allowed to be excited about Virtanen, who's freakin' from Abbotsford?!?

CDC confuses the hell out of me at times.

Hunter-Bo-Jake: Me like. That's a complete line featuring good-great players all in their natural positions and they can play all sorts of different styles.

He is ranked 6th for North American skaters, not including Euros. And it's a toss up even with that, everyone has their opinions on where he should rank... some say outside of the top 10, some say in the top 10. Why take a risk with a player like that?

We took Shinkaruk because he literally dropped 10-12 spots from his initial draft ranking, and was the consensus best player available.

In the case of Virtanen, he wouldn't drop to us... we'd be taking him somewhat off the charts.

You sound completely ridiculous, maplelaughs. I get it, you want to draft bigger players but trying to describe a kid ranked 5th overall on iss as if he's bill sweat is retarded.

Sigh... Some people just need to let their small man love issues go, I guess. But it's not just that he's small. It's that he also doesn't have the compete level or defensive aptitude for a decent amount of NHL success either. Not unless he's baggage. I also question his long-term future as a center. Will probably have to be a winger in the NHL.

He is ranked 6th for North American skaters, not including Euros. And it's a toss up even with that, everyone has their opinions on where he should rank... some say outside of the top 10, some say in the top 10. Why take a risk with a player like that?

We took Shinkaruk because he literally dropped 10-12 spots from his initial draft ranking, and was the consensus best player available.

In the case of Virtanen, he wouldn't drop to us... we'd be taking him somewhat off the charts.

Only one euro could oust Virtanen from #6 in NHL central scouting, and that's the undersized Willie Nylander.

The risk factor with taking Virtanen there with his speed, size and shot is a myth.

All of the disecting and over analysiseseses of Ehlers and Kapanen then ISS STILL has them both listed outside top 10. Virtanen is STILL ranked ahead of them.

Assuming Dal Colle and usual top 4 are gone....my wishlist is STILL

Virtanen

Ritchie

Tuch

3 dudes that can skate, hit, score. We talk about how we need offence....well duhhhh.....these cats have proven they can do that.

If we can trade Kesler and get Otts pick from Anaheim....9/10...hopefully Ehlers, Tuch, Fleury are still available

or who knows...package that pick to Wpg for Kane

If we walk away from this draft with a pick like Virtanen and a guy who will get us 25-30+ goals....Im going to be satisfied.

We still pick 36th and Im positive we find a gem there

66th...see above...or this is where we rely on Swedish secret scout Gradin to unearth a hidden gem ala Cederholm

Archived