The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs Latvia, quarterfinals

goalie13

2 goals on 57 shots.

Who's fault is that? Carey Price's.

Not Crosby, not Toews, not Kunitz, not St. Louis, not Perry, not Getzlaf, not Benn, not Sharp (although he scored today), not Tavares, not Bergeron, not Carter, not Marleau, not Nash, but Carey Price.

Seriously, people? You're complaining about Price fighting the puck yet Luongo did the same thing in the gold medal game and you guys treat him like a saint.

They both win games. Get. Over. It.

People just want to see Lu play. There is no rationale in changing goalies here at this point.

I don't even care who is in net. That is the least of our worries. This is the Canucks 2.0 here -- they have an alarming inability to score. There are no moral victories. No second chances. You either do it or go the eff home. And unfortunately I think Friday the Yanks are going to piss off and upset a lot of Canadians

Forwards haven't been good and price hasn't been good. He's given up a goal that a team canada caliber goalie should save.

Lui would have 4 shutouts. It's Latvia ffs and he flops. Lui makes that save, Canada keeps momentum and crushes the Latvians.

Thank god for Weber!

guess what Luongo would of flopped too how do i know watch any game Luongo has played he would of done the exact same thing

pretty tough for Luongo to have 4 shutouts when no goalie was ever going to play 4 games at this point

oh and Price has been good otherwise the goaltending stats would say something entirely different and they don't

Forwards haven't been good and price hasn't been good. He's given up a goal that a team canada caliber goalie should save.

Lui would have 4 shutouts. It's Latvia ffs and he flops. Lui makes that save, Canada keeps momentum and crushes the Latvians.

Thank god for Weber!

Pro-Lou trolling is still trolling y'know...

Because Lu has absolutely no history of giving up soft goals in big games, right? Price has done exactly what has been expected of him and will be the starter the rest of the way.

Right. Can you please let me know how many times he's been scored on by Norway and Latvia?

If we want a sniff vs the Americans and super star Ryan Kesler we must play luongo.

I'm cheering for kes and Hamhuis.

People just want to see Lu play. There is no rationale in changing goalies here at this point.

I don't even care who is in net. That is the least of our worries. This is the Canucks 2.0 here -- they have an alarming inability to score. There are no moral victories. No second chances. You either do it or go the eff home. And unfortunately I think Friday the Yanks are going to piss off and upset a lot of Canadians

13 goals says otherwise Americans have scored 20 goals but faced weaker competition in Slovenia Slovakia and Czech Republic while Canada has faced Norway and Finland always stingy and Latvia with a goalie who nearly stole the game

This is what doesn't make sense about the goalie thing:

Last Olympics, Babcock went with the veteran Marty. This time, Lu is the veteran and had a shutout and better performance yet be goes with Price. Kind of hard to wrap your head around that and ontop, Price won yea but he didn't win in convincing fashion. Looked really uncomfortable, couldn't control the puck so heading into a game versus the US = bad. Lu on the other hand wins with confidence and looks like he's controlling the puck.

And yet people want to change the goalie. Price has been a huge part of why this team is still in the tournament.

Are you Carey Price's brother? Because every post of yours is pumping up Price. He is adequate but thats not saying much because of the weak opposition. Come on, Austria, Norway, Latvia. Any NHL goaltender can beat them! The true test is against USA. And Price WILL mess up. I am predicting a USA win.

I disagree with those who are down on Price. (and I'm betting that Babcock will as well) The shot that handcuffed him was tipped by the Canadian defender. After that he made a confident looking blocker save and another from the deep slot that looked to be going 5 hole.

He went down early on the breakaway goal, but as someone already pointed out, he looked exactly like Luongo in that situation.

I give the Latvian goalkeeper credit for a great game, but I also give the team credit. Even though they gave up 57 shots, they were pretty good at keeping Canada to the outside and didn't give up many second chances. (although I'd say they got away with a ton of interference in front of the net) Excellent coaching job by Nolan.

Goaltending and defense aside, Team Canada has to bear down on these chances. Benn was unlucky in the first, but how many chances did Perry have down low. The one after Weber's goal was particularly uncharacteristic. Benn fed it through to CP who spun, pulled the puck back and then was unable to get it up and over the goalkeeper's outstretched pad.

People criticize Sid for not scoring, but I expect Corey Perry to bury chances like that.

Hopefully this game is a wake-up call and the real offense shows up against the Yanks.

Are you Carey Price's brother? Because every post of yours is pumping up Price. He is adequate but thats not saying much because of the weak opposition. Come on, Austria, Norway, Latvia. Any NHL goaltender can beat them! The true test is against USA. And Price WILL mess up. I am predicting a USA win.

Latvia had a hot goaltender and Price gave up 1 goal on a breakaway a move Luongo would of done the exact same thing and again he has only given up 3 goals in 3 games besides pitching shutouts which doesn't add anything to his 3 wins he can't do much else

The penalty was clearly a make-up call for the missed hand on puck on the goal line.

I'm thinking that the ref concluded that the Latvian player didn't actually "close" his hand on the puck since it sort of squirted away from his hand and ended up at the goalie's side. The ref was in perfect position to see it. At any rate "make up calls" don't make it right.

Price....uh, that wasn't a really dominating performance by any means. If I'm Babcock, Lu's got the start agains the US

hahaha sure pal...how bad would you have cried if the went back with brodeur in vancouver.... Lu in the knock out rounds in vancouver. had goals against of 2,3,2,2 ... price has 1 GA in his first knock out game and you want Lu back in? give your head a shake.

hahaha sure pal...how bad would you have cried if the went back with brodeur in vancouver.... Lu in the knock out rounds in vancouver. had goals against of 2,3,2,2 ... price has 1 GA in his first knock out game and you want Lu back in? give your head a shake.

Price has also been consistent as hell. I'll take one goal every game over a shutout in a couple and 3 in the next.

Archived