The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canada vs Latvia, quarterfinals

goalie13

He had four goals and seven points in seven games last time, why does everyone think he was a no show until the last seconds of the gold medal game? :huh:

Because he's supposedly the best player in the world and peoples expectations are extremely high for him, I mean look at his NHL point pace.

MAD props to the Latvia goalie. Only reason the game wasn't a complete blowout

Yzerman has a damn good goalie for the future

Not at all one good game does not equal to a person being a star. Realistically the majority of goalies all have the same skill set it's the ones that can mentally prepare thenmselves consistantly game after game that makes a goalie truly great. Remember that Belarus goalie who played lights out to upset sweden? Exactly

Just shows how a stifling defense, and lights out goaltending wins. God awful to watch, but call it a coach extender, gets the Trotz', Roger Neilsons', and all those other defense first guys, success. The USA is going to be a REAL challenge, and until Canada finds someone other than their D to score, I see a bronze medal game.

Not at all one good game does not equal to a person being a star. Realistically the majority of goalies all have the same skill set it's the ones that can mentally prepare thenmselves consistantly game after game that makes a goalie truly great. Remember that Belarus goalie who played lights out to upset sweden? Exactly

1 game can build the confidence to really excel...Nobody is ever a guarantee but he looked very good and could translate or may not...time will tell

2 goals on 57 shots.

Who's fault is that? Carey Price's.

Not Crosby, not Toews, not Kunitz, not St. Louis, not Perry, not Getzlaf, not Benn, not Sharp (although he scored today), not Tavares, not Bergeron, not Carter, not Marleau, not Nash, but Carey Price.

Seriously, people? You're complaining about Price fighting the puck yet Luongo did the same thing in the gold medal game and you guys treat him like a saint.

They both win games. Get. Over. It.

In other words, if we lose against the Americans do we play one more game or does the bronze goes to the team that did better between the two losers.

I watch Olympic hockey once every four years, sorry if I haven't memorised the elimination format.... <_<

There's a game for bronze...but who wants that!

In other words, if we lose against the Americans do we play one more game or does the bronze goes to the team that did better between the two losers.

I watch Olympic hockey once every four years, sorry if I haven't memorised the elimination format.... <_<

There will be a Bronze game between the 2 that lose in the semi's.

http://olympics.cbc.ca/hockey/event/men/brackets.html

2 goals on 57 shots.

Not Crosby, not Toews, not Kunitz, not St. Louis, not Perry, not Getzlaf, not Benn, not Sharp (although he scored today), not Tavares, not Bergeron, not Carter, not Marleau, not Nash, but Carey Price.

Seriously, people? You're complaining about Price fighting the puck yet Luongo did the same thing in the gold medal game and you guys treat him like a saint.

Forwards haven't been good and price hasn't been good. He's given up a goal that a team canada caliber goalie should save.

Lui would have 4 shutouts. It's Latvia ffs and he flops. Lui makes that save, Canada keeps momentum and crushes the Latvians.

Thank god for Weber!

2 goals on 57 shots.

Good points.

Forwards haven't been good and price hasn't been good. He's given up a goal that a team canada caliber goalie should save.

Lui would have 4 shutouts. It's Latvia ffs and he flops. Lui makes that save, Canada keeps momentum and crushes the Latvians.

Thank god for Weber!

Because Lu has absolutely no history of giving up soft goals in big games, right? Price has done exactly what has been expected of him and will be the starter the rest of the way.

I was on the fence for the whole game since Latvia are my sentimental favorites in international hockey but Canada is "my" team. After two periods of enduring Healy's jingoistic horse manure I was rooting for the Latvians. The Cult of Lou is insisting that Price looked "shaky" but what else do you expect; he was on tenterhooks the whole game. Me, I was secretly hoping Babcock would put Lou in net for this one but having watched it play out I'm glad for both Team Canada and for Lou that he didn't (if Lou would have lost this game he would have been tarred and feathered by everybody in Canada). Pity that it took a crappy penalty to decide it; the refs let everything go for almost a period and then called exactly ONE penalty at a pivotal moment. Team Canada played well but without much in the way of sync; Latvia has something like 8 guys from the same team (Dinamo Riga in the "inferior" KHL) and their coach was superb. Remember that the Latvians were missing their #1 goalie and Daugavins who is about their 2nd best player so their accomplishment is all the more inspiring. This game was the tempering that Team Canada needed; I absolutely guarantee that we beat the USA and handily at that.

Archived