The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Figure Skating Scandal?

CANUCKS FTW!

I don't really follow figure skating much, but from what I saw.. no way the Russian skater won gold, absolute travesty.

Yuna Kim should have gone down in the record books as a two-time gold medalist, and retire on top. Her performance was flawless.

Americans and Russians agreed to let the russians win in the singles event figure skating and the americans to win in the doubles.

Uncovered by a french newspaper and walla, it happened. Nothing will ever be done though, it's just a crime that will wash away.

Actually the arranged deal was for Russia to win the Team Medal and USA to win Ice Dance, both of which also happened.

does anyone even watch or care about figure skating other than in the olympics? no? didn't think so

Yes, many people do. I'd say figure skating is more mainstream outside of the Olympics than many other Winter Olympic sports.

and you clicked on this thread because...???

To be an ignorant ass. I understand some people don't enjoy watching figure skating because it just isn't their type of thing. Fair enough. But don't assume everybody is the same way, especially in a thread, whose very topic implies that you actually care and have an opinion.

Despite an error when she two-footed a double loop in her combination jump the teenager improved her free skate score by a massive 18 points to take a third skating title in Sochi for hosts Russia

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/winter-olympics/sochi-2014-controversy-as-russian-adelina-sotnikova-upsets-korean-favourite-kim-yuna-to-snatch-figure-skating-gold-medal-20140221-334z4.html#ixzz2twJrHJwl

The russian did 7 spins, Yuna did 6.

Whatever, it's a mumbo jumbo to me. Still pissed Chan didnt get the gold. Underperformance hurts the most. IF the judges screw you , there's nothing u can do.

My guess is you only get judged on six jump elements. I don't know squat about figure skating, but I can't imagine Kim would not plan for maximum potential jumps.

The only way to make the sport pay is by boycotting it until something happens..

On a side note, Why is it always Russians involved in these shameful scandals?? is it a Russian thing?

where is the sportsmanship and athletic integrity of beating your opponent fairly? if I knew someone had rigged a competition to my favour, not only I woudnt tolerate It, but if I had to; I wouldn't get on the podium and act all crazy excited like that sham Russian skater.

win with integrity.

people like that really sicken me.

I don't know if you guys follow figure skating but Yuna Kim was absolutely robbed today. Flawless performance and somehow still lost.

Just get rid of anonymous judging. I forgot which competition (maybe diving in summer olympics? or gymnastics?) but it had the best system for a semi-subjective sport. Basically, the judges had to reveal the score they gave (no anonymity) and the judges that give the highest+lowest scores are written off while all the scores in the middle are either added up or averaged (no difference). This takes away the most extreme scoring and basically leaves what *most judges* think.

What is more amazing is the young people actually want to compete in a competition that is so shady. If I knew that my chances of winning were pre-determined to a certain extent, why bother even wasting time and effort training for it? I wish these scandals would make figure skating fall completely off the map and into the dumpster with all the other rigged events.

Guest Gumballthechewy

Corruption is everywhere. Politics. Figure Skating. Business.

I weep for the future.

There has always been, and always will be, corruption where power is involved, this is nothing new... <_<

Archived