The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] via the Score: Penguins made a trade offer for Kesler...

Also, why would Pitt give up so much for a 3rd line centre? They already have one in Sutter.

Pretty sure Kesler would be on a super line with Crosby and Kunitz. At least to start, and be number 1 penalty killer.

But it seems they are currently trying to offer us crap we dont need so we will see.

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Penguins interested in Canucks' Kesler: report

Saturday, 03.01.2014 / 10:17 PM

By NHL.com Staff - / 2014 Trade Deadline blog

The Pittsburgh Penguins are aggressively pursuing Vancouver Canucks center Ryan Kesler, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported Saturday night.

Rob Rossi, citing multiple sources, reported that a proposed trade would send Kesler to the Penguins in exchange for center Brandon Sutter, two 2014 draft picks (likely a first-round and third-round), and the Canucks' choice of defensemen Simon Despres or Brian Dumoulin.

Rossi said general manager Ray Shero has been pursuing Kesler since January and would like to make a deal before the NHL Trade Deadline at 3 p.m. Wednesday, though the Penguins would try again during the offseason.

Kesler is a solid two-way center who can win faceoffs consistently and has scored as many as 41 goals in a season. He's 29 years old and has two more years remaining on his contract, with a $5 million salary-cap charge. Kesler leads the Canucks this season with 21 goals.

Shero has a history of making moves before the deadline; he's done so in six of seven previous seasons. In 2013, he acquired forwards Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow and Jussi Jokinen and defenseman Douglas Murray; Jokinen is the only one still with the team.

---

This offer is absolute garbage, 30 or higher level draft picks and a center with a career high 17 goals. Kesler demands 2 top blue chip prospects. This is why we need to deal him at the draft, we are just going to get offered this kind of stuff. If MG took this I would never watch a Canucks game ever again, not even lying.

DISCLAIMER: Bennett has been on IR since late November with a wrist injury and has very recently suffered a set back that's going to cost him another 3-4 weeks (peculiar timing? maybe). With him being injured I don't think we can include him in any package that goes down before the trade deadline and I think he's a must have if were to move Kesler to PIT.

Just to touch on that, it was speculated previously that it could be an issue with the same wrist he broke back in 2011. He'll be out with this current injury for 3-4 weeks.

I like his talent level but for a guy whose shot is such a big part of his game there's some risk involved trading for him.

That said, if a deal like Kesler for Bennett, Sutter, Pouliot and a 1st were to come our way, I don't see how we don't go for it. We'd likely have to move a minor contract back to avoid the 50 contract limit, but it'd be workable. Not saying they're even that interested, but I'd take it.

I'm really hoping MG isn't taking the Pittsburgh offer seriously as it does not address any of our needs, Sutter is another Gaunce/Horvat whom we already have on our system, and Pouliot is great too but we have some good D prospects already. We're in dire need of skill in our top 6, and if you're trading Kesler you have to get a skillful player.

Hopefully Philly is fielding some offers including Couturier/B.Schenn, otherwise we shouldn't rush to trade before the deadline, there will be better offers.

Thats just the starting offer, obviously thats not what the trade will be,, that would be terrible GMing by shero gotta start low as possible.

We will not be trading Kesler for that package, Pouliot will have to be a piece of the trade, if we are all agreeing Gillis wont do a trade like that, he would be putting himself out of a job..

Just an idea, instead of going after centres with Kes, why not do this and it still leaves PIT with Dumoulin,Despres, Niskanen, Letang, Orpik, etc

to PIT- Kesler

to VAN- Maatta, D.Pouliot

Our defence will have an upcoming wave of

Pouliot-Maatta

Tanev-Corrado

Hutton-Stanton (Hutton could win the Hobey Baker)

and let's face it....no forward Pittsburgh has will fill Kesler's void in the top 6. Might as well experiment with the 20 games left, draft a helluva forward AND target UFA's. and let's not forget about SANTORELLI

Most of us understand that the offer of Sutter, Despres/Dumolin, 1st , 3rd was not enough to get the deal done, correct?

yes .. i think its pretty clear ... we would have been told of the trade by now if mike thought that was enough ..

Most of us understand that the offer of Sutter, Despres/Dumolin, 1st , 3rd was not enough to get the deal done, correct?

...it might be enough, but I wouldnt be surprised if the Cnaucks were the "leak" to get the competition bidding a bit faster.

I dont see why theyd accept anything if theres multipul teams interested.

Just accumulate the offers and pick the best option...

Starting to feel though, that he's a goner by Wednesday.

I would do Sutter and Pouliot for Kesler if we could get Simmonds and Schenn for Edler.

Sedin's - Simmonds

Higgins - Schenn - Burrows

Booth - Sutter - Kassian

Sestito - Richardson - Hansen

Next year have 2 or 3 of the following players in the line up full time

-Gaunce

-Horvat

-Jensen

-Shinkaruk

I'd also consider trading Hansen, need to free up a roster spot.

No to Malkin he's way too expensive. Great player but with his price we could get 2 2nd line wingers instead. Also I don't know how interested Kesler would be to go to Pittsburgh, I doubt he would want to be demoted to 3rd line center... unless they move him to right wing.

Also I only see Sutter as a 2nd-3rd line center, having him won't even come close to solving our problems. As for Pouliot well he's only 20 years old so I guess thats a plus.

Anyone been following McKenzie's twitter feed tonight? He's been all over this Kesler speculation, even adding his own trade possibility. That's rare for McKenzie who is usually all about maintaining secrecy and keeping his sources. He honestly sounds like half of CDC tonight.

I'm not sold on Sutter at all. I mean if that's the roster player coming back, then this rebuild is going to be longer than expected. This is why I liked the Philly thread, at least there we had B. Schenn coming back. HAS to be a young roster player, a decent prospect and a 1st.

Pittsburg has apparently put Letang and Dupuis on LTIR to free up cap space for what its worth.

Letang had a stroke and Dupuis had a season ending injury...........do you even watch hockey? Ya, they did this so they could trade for Kesler..............lollllllllllllll

This is such an ignorant thing to say it's not even funny

Is he going to start ahead of Crosby.........no.

Is he going to start ahead of Malkin..........no.

That puts him on the third line..........seriously use your fingers or grab a calculator if you need to.

Archived