The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Luongo sitting out again because he's in play?

VegasCanuck

(being his own source is the only reason needed in trades forum)

Aside from Elvis, no one else made that point. The flaming is due to the audacity of suggesting Luo could be in play. Not very unreasonable, really.

And when it comes to speculation, with all due respect to the 'valid sources', the OP is up to standard with most of it.

A lot of flaming at the OP for a relatively reasonable piece of speculation (aside from being his/her own source).

If Luo is in fact healthy, shutout or not, Lack is a rookie and a backup -in all likelihood a shutout doesn't buy him the opportunity to run with it - Luo could pretty much be expected to step back in regardless.

I think it's entirely reasonable to think that Luo could be in play. I haven't exactly gotten the impression that he's turned over a new leaf in his desire to remain a Canuck into the twilight years.

His tongue in cheek joke (feeding the Eastern media trolls) about Kesler being stuck here whether he likes it or not... What better timing to ship him out?

Luo to NYI for Nabokov, Brock Nelson and Scott Mayfield.

Get er done MG.

I love the trade.

Both goalies could use a definite change in scenery. New York is a lot closer to FLA than Vancouver, that's for sure.

Nabokov would legitimately be a starter even if he's a little 'old'. He was a beast for SJ during the playoffs. He'd love to play here because it's a lot better than the bottom-feeding Islanders. At least we have a shot at the playoffs.

This deal makes too much sense. Gillis isn't gonna do it.

I find it funny how many people get bent out of shape when someone "speculates" on something lol.

For the record, I'd hate to see Luongo leave the team, but "if" the opportunity came up to snag a solid backup and couple of other pieces (maybe a solid 3C which we're currently missing), it would meet the teams statement that they are trying to get younger.

Its been widely reported around the league that the Canucks have told other teams that the only 2 players that they wouldn't look at moving both share the same last name.

Its likely that there may still be some hurt feelings buried (This is professional hockey, it shouldn't happen, but doesn't mean its not there) on both sides about how the whole situation played out last year and at the draft and the long silence after the draft.

If Luongo had played more than one game in Sochi, I'd a little more easily buy they "Jet Lag" theory 5 days after they got back from Russia. I've traveled extensively around the planet. It doesn't take you that long to get over Jet Lag, especially if you are experienced with dealing with it.

As for the idea that Lack is getting a second straight start just because he ran a shutout the last game, I don't think he got that last time he ran a shutout, Luo was in the the next game.

We're pushing for the playoffs. Luongo has played 1 game (Austria) in 2 weeks. Luongo's game doesn't get better when he doesn't play frequently, it gets worse! See October for proof of this.

Its weird he doesn't play in one of the first 2 games back unless there's another issue!

I would think if we needed a new goalie, we'd have a very good shot of signing Ryan Miller as a UFA with all the rumours that he wants to be close to California. It's about as close as he can hope to get.

If you look it up, the last time Lack got a shutout, Luo played the next game.

Rumour has it Luo is in play, but every other team in the league has a good goalie and nobody wants him.................#teamCanada

If you look it up, the last time Lack got a shutout, Luo played the next game.

Rumour has it Luo is in play, but every other team in the league has a good goalie and nobody wants him.................#teamCanada

well thats not the best news ever ...

Quite obvious that Lack gives the canucks best chance to win they should see whats out there for possibilities.

Dumping that contract of the payroll and even getting a top forward prospect would be a win for me.

Maybe trading Luongo and Edler as a package to the capitals or some other team that would take both would give us big talent back.

As far as i'm concerned MG wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least see whats out there for all players including Luongo and the Sedins.

Lack is being developed an fast tracked so he may return a horvat type player perhaps as early as this summer.Luongo is not in play Vancouver is a goalie development machine.

Problem is, Vancouver doesn't keep their developed goalies.

If they trade Eddie Lack, I am going to lose my mind.

Lack is not OTB… give your head a shake, people.

It's far more likely that Lou, even given all of the history, gets moved before next season than Lack. I fully expect they'll still try and accommodate Lou by moving him if they can.

Even then the odds are they'll both be here next year.

A lot of flaming at the OP for a relatively reasonable piece of speculation (aside from being his/her own source).

If Luo is in fact healthy, shutout or not, Lack is a rookie and a backup -in all likelihood a shutout doesn't buy him the opportunity to run with it - Luo could pretty much be expected to step back in regardless.

I think it's entirely reasonable to think that Luo could be in play. I haven't exactly gotten the impression that he's turned over a new leaf in his desire to remain a Canuck into the twilight years.

His tongue in cheek joke (feeding the Eastern media trolls) about Kesler being stuck here whether he likes it or not... What better timing to ship him out?

Luo to NYI for Nabokov, Brock Nelson and Scott Mayfield.

Get er done MG.

I think "flaming" may be overstating it a bit. Yeah, maybe one or two, but I think most of us believe he's just reading a bit too much into the situation.

Sure it's possible that Luongo is in play and the Canucks are holding him out so.... what? They can avoid him getting injured? Playing poorly and diminishing his value? Again, possible, but I think the more obvious answer is the more likely one.

Lack started against the Blues because Lou was just back from Sochi and Eddie has owned the Blues this year. BTW: I understand that Hammer, Pietrangelo and J-Bo all played, but I honestly think it's a different situation for a goaltender (and I believe that you do as well)

I believe that management wants Lou to play the Heritage Classic, (and I'd be willing to bet that he does) so the game against Minny was a bit of a transitional game. Either goalie could have conceivably started.

I think that the coaching staff looked at Lack's performance against St. Louis and decided that it would hurt to give Lou a couple more days to adjust his sleep patterns. I know it's not as much fun as speculating on trades, but I think it is far more likely.

I guess we'll know soon...

Dumping that contract of the payroll and even getting a top forward prospect would be a win for me.

I think it would be considered a win by just about everyone. (except apollo) The problem is, no-one has offered anything like that up to this point.

A couple of years back, the Canucks were hard after Nick Bjugstad, but Tallon wouldn't bite. Bear in mind that this was a proposed deal to a team who's ownership reportedly wanted Luongo badly, and Bjugstad, although a player with a lot of upside, was not even Florida's top prospect.

Still, Tallon wouldn't bite.

So we're left with the best reported offer so far: Dave Nonis' offer of a pair of 2nd round picks. With that meager return, I don't see how Gillis could have done anything else.

So why do we believe that things are different now? Do we believe that his backup role on Team Canada has significantly boosted his value? Does the reported increase in the Cap make his contract less of an issue for prospective trade partners? I guess we'll see. Personally, I'd be hopeful, but not optimistic.

PS: A while back, it was reported that the Leafs had offered Luke Schenn and Nazem Kadri for Luongo. This was before the Leafs landed Bernier and both Kadri and Schenn were not living up to expectations. This report has never been confirmed, but if true, it was a massive swing and miss for MG, especially considering the fact that Nonis was eventually able to flip Schenn to Philly for JVR.

Could be, but it's a risky move considering Lack's... lack of experience.

Explain how it is risky? If Lack doesn't play well then what? Oh, we don't make the playoffs and get a better draft pick or we lose in the 1st round. How is that any different then what will happen anyway?

There is no risk because there is nothing to lose. If you think this team has a playoff run in them then you are either a blind homer, really young, or generally clueless.

Archived