The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

Y'all kidding?! Markstrom & a 2nd is more than we could hope for. Beauty!

TO offered Bozak and Kadri for him last summer............if we had taken that, we'd still have Schneider and wouldn't be eating any of his contract

Happy for Luongo. Glad everything is over and he can just focus on playing the game.

That being said, wow Gillis needs to go. The Luongo return is understandable but he screwed this whole situation up big time. I just hope he doesn't screw up a potential Kesler or Edler trade.

Luongo was nothing but class in his time with The Vancouver Canucks. He didn't deserve all the crap that he went through the last couple of years. I'm Happy For him that he ended up where he wanted to be. He we always be one of my favourite Canucks. Good luck with your new old team LUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

TO offered Bozak and Kadri for him last summer............if we had taken that, we'd still have Schneider and wouldn't be eating any of his contract

That's a good story. Was that before the Komisarek offers, after the Luke Schenn offer, or instead of the pair of 2nds?

The Leafs move their top 2 centers en route to buying out Grabovski - that sounds about right.

Matthias interview:

Has lots of family in Van

He's excited to be back in Canada

Tired of being in Florida, feels he played hard but was never given a real opportunity unless there is injuries.

"I've been playing for the Panthers for a while, we've been trading away players at the deadline.. I'm not used to not being down and out by now"

HE PUT UP A 35 POINT PACE LAST YEAR AND DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO BE THERE. HE'S COMING TO VAN AND HE'S STOKED

GILLIS DUMPED A 35 YEAR OLD DRAMA QUEEN FOR TWO YOUNG DUDES. NO GOALIE DRAMA. CAP SPACE.

I'm still a supporter of this trade despite the popular opinion.

Just listen to Matthias, it makes you stoked on hockey again. Canucks need more players with their heart in Vancouver and ready to give'r. Hope Kesler is traded if he's having any doubts. Attitudes in the dressing more are gonna cause change. Big reason why I am relieved Luongo and the goalie drama is done.

I can see Matthias adding a goal per game to the Canucks. Just alone I think the effort he will give is going to get him quite a few goals but on top of that the effect it will have on the guys he will play with and just the entire team in general. Too bad getting into the playoffs is an extreme long shot at this point.

Schneider for the 9th overall?

You're really not going to get much better value than that.

Schneider isn't Patrick Roy like many on here built him up to be. He wasn't gonna fetch us Mackinnon or some of the other ridiculous proposals people were throwing around. Maybe the real problem is overestimating player values.

I'm happy getting two highly touted prospects while staying deep in net and getting alot of cap space.

We're not deep in net, we're ice thin and those two prospects could turn into Fedor Fedorov and Daigle............give me Schneider any day of the week over all this other "stuff" we have.

We're not deep in net, we're ice thin and those two prospects could turn into Fedor Fedorov and Daigle............give me Schneider any day of the week over all this other "stuff" we have.

Lack is playing as good as Schneider.

People need to get over him. He's not the next Mike Richter.

That's a good story. Was that before the Komisarek offers, after the Luke Schenn offer, or instead of the pair of 2nds?

The Leafs move their top 2 centers en route to buying out Grabovski - that sounds about right.

Denial doesn't make it true.............that's a real TO offer that was in the news......but MG wanted more and it fell apart.

Having had a shot or two, and some good comments thrown in; I've made peace with this deal.

Wonder if we can get through Kesler without too much hullabaloo.

yeah the hypocrisy is hilarious.

those idiots were suggesting that the Canucks would have to take Komisarek or other cap dumps in order to move Luongo.

they trolled and trolled Luongo and Gillis endlessly.

and now they're suggesting Gillis should have gotten more than a premier goaltending prospect and a very solid two way tweener center - both with extremely reasonable contract terms - and some cap space.

as good as anyone could have expected - or better.

their troll vision completely trumps their weak reasoning.

But I'd expect nothing else from them tbh.

If anything, I think they're trying way to hard to rescue their years of trolling on this issue - but really should be eating some crow - big servings of it - because not only Luongo got what he wanted, but the Canucks and MG got two good assets and some cap space out of this deal.

Luongo and the Canucks 2

Eastern media trolls 0

And to top it off, Lack is putting up Schneider like numbers this year .924 - it's pretty hard to expect more than that - and he was a free agent signing of Gillis' - an utter steal.

If that's not enough, Eriksson started this season slowly behind a not particularly great Utica team, but has steadily improved his numbers to a very strong .914 sv% in the A.

Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson, Horvat, and Matthias at a combined 3.7 cap hit

vs Luongo and Schneider at 9.3 million combined cap hit.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying all the dumbass noise that the professional trolls are making.

Couldn't be happier.

As if that's not enough icing - Gillis also managed to get this done in a timely enough fashion, and add a young mid range center in the process - so it really gives them some flexibility if and when they deal Kesler, knowing what the return is on the guy that had to go first.

My thoughts on this is TML could really use a Mathias right about now? :lol:

You know, the world of sports is strange sometimes and the hockey gods are fickle….

Imagine after losing Daniel, traded Lou, Schneider and maybe Kes, that by getting younger and quicker we sneak past Dallas, Winnipeg and Phoenix and make the playoffs?

Stranger things have happened.

Hey, If Lack plays as he is today against Phoenix, adding Mathias makes us a better team right now. Presuming the Kesler trade is offset till summer?

Archived