The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade Luongo to the Panthers

That is such a f*cking joke! Aquilinis should sue the league for that bush league garbage. If they didn't like the contract they shouldn't have allowed it. Instead they just make up rules as they go along. Here's hoping Lu retires by 2018.

Thank Brian Burke for it.

It's well known that he was the chief architect of this amendment..and since he was the GM of the Leafs at the time - no conflict of interest there at all - eh?! <_<

Thank Brian Burke for it.

It's well known that he was the chief architect of this amendment..and since he was the GM of the Leafs at the time - no conflict of interest there at all - eh?! <_<

anyone got photos of burke and bettman kissing ???

Does anyone know if Markstrom was in the AHL because he got outplayed by Clemmensen for the backup spot or if he's there to get more playing time?

Probably a mix of wanting to develop him more, plus taking away his bargaining power when it came time to re-sign him. Kind of like we did with Schneider.

No point of having him on the team if they're not close to being a playoff team. It would have just driven up his value.

People are thinking Luongo went to a poorer team here.

Ha. Florida will likely win the cup sooner than us. They're a lot further along in their rebuild, certainly. And they just brought in a fancy new owner. Hmmm... The day after the owner takes over, Luongo is traded there? Wow. What an amazing coincidence!

For those wondering why the Luongo trade took so long, there's your answer.

I am looking forward to seeing Matthias in action and I hope he brings some good energy to the team and gets rewarded accordingly.

It's going to be really weird and will take a while for me to adjust to Lu being gone, but I look forward to watching him play for the Panthers.

Does anyone know if Markstrom was in the AHL because he got outplayed by Clemmensen for the backup spot or if he's there to get more playing time?

Here is why.

GP. W. L. OT. G. S. SV. SV%. GAA

REGULAR SEASON 12 1 6 3 36 285 249 .874 3. 52

In reference to above, I'm pretty sure Dale Tallon wasn't too worried about negotiations with these numbers.

You can make all the excuses you want about those numbers but Thomas and Clemenson still put vastly superior numbers and there stats aren't great.

1 win in 12 games and only stoping 87% of his shots. He ranks about 77th in NHL goalies this year.

I think the high prospect tag is probably gone.

Gillis and his putrid asset management alone should be enough to get him fired.

I really hope the rumors are true that Kesler was not traded because Gillis is getting the boot until a real GM can come in and start cleaning up his mess.

What rumours? Blake Price and 1040, guy was throwing a tantrum like a little child yesterday.

I like Luongo, but:

Luongo GAA = 2.38 Sv% = 0.917

Lack GAA = 2.05 Sv% = 0.926

Luongo GAA = 2.56 Sv% = 0.907

Schneider GAA = 2.11 Sv% = 0.927

Luongo GAA = 2.41 Sv% = 0.919

Schneider GAA = 1.96 Sv% = 0.937

Three seasons of being outplayed by another goalie with the same team infront of him doesn't look too good (and the differences in these categories are not small neither).

I, for one, am stoked that we got Markstrom & Matthais in our system and and extra 3 million in cap space.

If we still had Schneider, we'd still not be that much better, and if we still had Schneider, we would have lost Luongo for nothing since we couldn't trade his contract at the time. But instead, we have a blue chip prospect in Horvat, a blue chip goaltending project in Markstrom, and a serviceable young forward in Matthais and about $9 million in cap space.

Poor handling of the goaltending situation i agree, but in regards to asset management, I would have to say that things could have ended up much worse, and now we actually have a glimpse of hope for the future.

I like Luongo, but:

Luongo GAA = 2.38 Sv% = 0.917

Lack GAA = 2.05 Sv% = 0.926

Luongo GAA = 2.56 Sv% = 0.907

Schneider GAA = 2.11 Sv% = 0.927

Luongo GAA = 2.41 Sv% = 0.919

Schneider GAA = 1.96 Sv% = 0.937

Three seasons of being outplayed by another goalie with the same team infront of him doesn't look too good (and the differences in these categories are not small neither).

I, for one, am stoked that we got Markstrom & Matthais in our system and and extra 3 million in cap space.

If we still had Schneider, we'd still not be that much better, and if we still had Schneider, we would have lost Luongo for nothing since we couldn't trade his contract at the time. But instead, we have a blue chip prospect in Horvat, a blue chip goaltending project in Markstrom, and a serviceable young forward in Matthais and about $9 million in cap space.

Poor handling of the goaltending situation i agree, but in regards to asset management, I would have to say that things could have ended up much worse, and now we actually have a glimpse of hope for the future.

$3m in cap space??

Luongo's cap hit was $5.33m

Matthias $1.75m

Markstrom $1.2m

Retained Luongo cap hit $800k

That leaves approx. $1.5m in cap space. Just enough for Gillis to sign a 3rd-4th liner that Torts will play 4 mins a game.

$3m in cap space??

Matthias $1.75m

Markstrom $1.2m

That leaves approx. $1.5m in cap space. Just enough for Gillis to sign a 3rd-4th liner that Torts will play 4 mins a game.

Or you can add that $1.5m to the ~$4m from buying out Booth this summer and put that towards a nice UFA.

I am looking forward to seeing Matthias in action and I hope he brings some good energy to the team and gets rewarded accordingly.

It's going to be really weird and will take a while for me to adjust to Lu being gone, but I look forward to watching him play for the Panthers.

I believe that Shawn Matthias can & will replace some of the energy & motivation that the team used to be getting from the injured-Santorelli. And - if he can do that....he will be a very welcome addition indeed!

With Richardson also injured for this upcoming tilt in DAL...his arrival is a God-send!

$3m in cap space??

Matthias $1.75m

Markstrom $1.2m

I 3rd-4th liner @ 4 minutes per game, at $1.5M. Kinda like Gillis picking up Tanev, or Stanton, or Santo, or Torres, or Wellwood. Say what you want about Gillis' negatives, because he has them like every person; but signing and picking up quality players at league minimum is something he has been very good at.

Hard not to notice that we traded Luongo back to the Panthers THE INSTANT they had decent ownership again.

They're a cap ceiling team now.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24407148/florida-panthers-want-to-become-salary-cap-team-under-new-owner

Wait for it. Panthers cup win dead ahead.

Meanwhile NJ has just acquired new ownership as well. Look forward to watching Lu and Schneider win cups then.

I don't blame Gillis for anything that has transpired since 2011. He's not an idiot. Look at the moves he made leading up to 2011. Some of them were fantastic. But since, all horrible. So what happened? His hands are tied, that's what happened. All major moves these days are league-sanctioned. It's all part of the plan to make the NHL more prosperous in the states. It's Canada's job to subsidize that growth.

So our only hope is that we'll eventually... Eventually... be allowed to win a cup because it's been sooooooo long. But i think Buffalo, St. Louis, a few entitled teams and a few Bettman expansion teams win before us, at minimum. By then our rebuilt core will be ready, assuming the Canucks actually do that properly for once.

Archived