The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

LUONGO TRADED to Florida - Official Discussion Thread

-SN-

McLean was nominated for the Vezina twice

Yup, Kirk was a beauty in his day, its so easy to forget how good he was. Only reason why I think Luongo was better is because he was an elite level goatender at a time when there was/is probably 20-25 world class goaltenders in the NHL. I can only think of a handful in the league when McLean was nominated.

Whereas the trade should have been done long ago, Gillis is not the only one to blame. NTC says hello, even if he was in on that too, Lui could just have waived it completely if he really just wanted to leave and give the team the best possible deal - as he clearly already got from the team in the first place. CBA, Cap, Luongo, Vancouver and the market were all factors that dragged this deal along. No hard feelings one way or the other from me. Luongo has been my favorite player for a decade now, and will have a special place in the future as well.

On a sidenote, our goaltending depth is pretty swede :) Läck, Markström, Eriksson...

A bit scary, but promising. I have faith. Join in.

oops, double post here...All the best Lou, the pressure's off...just be sure to keep a security cam on your car!

We just got a whole lot bigger at forward with Mathias who is 26 and 220 and Costello who is 23 and 212 Lbs. and should be ready for 4th line duty next year.

I expect they will sign a veteran goalie soon, can't imagine they will go with such a young duo.

Is this the most one-sided trade this season? We don't need Markstrom, we have Lack. Now our starter has no playoff experience and our backup is unproven. If anything we should have gone for an older veteran.

Also Matthias? Really? A 3rd line center on our team at best unless Kesler gets traded/moved to wing.

MG just suffered a brain fart and got out GM'd again.

On a side note: Thomas and Luongo on the same team roflmfaolollercoasters

But, positives: Schneids and Lu are going to get playing time they deserve now, and are out of this mess. Also, this indicates to me the rebuild is in effect, and change is coming.

How is this supposed to be a positive for us? They're irrelevant now.

Not only is this a bad trade, but it's being reported that we have to pay a portion of Luongo's salary every year for the rest of his contract length! That means we don't have a proven #1 net minder anymore, and will have a million dollars less every year to fill our roster with. Grim.

A 3rd line center on our team at best unless Kesler gets traded/moved to wing.

No holes got filled, plus we keep on salary. I don't get this. We're better off having Luongo, paying him his salary than taking on 1 mill a year and taking on these two players, neither of whom will likely make the team.

WE HAVE TRADED THE BEST GOALTENDER AND THE BEST BACKUP WE HAVE EVER HAD!!!!

ROBERTO & CORY for... HORVAT, MARKSTROM and MATTHIAS.

I hate Gillis so much.... so very much right now..

I actually miss Nonis..

Maybe somone could start a Roberto Luongo Forum somewhere .. make it twitter oriented .. that would be nice .. Luongo was first class all the way .. I wish him all the best .. this trade is a win-win .. relax or buy a Panthers jersey and get Hockey Central

All the pessimists on the board here, think of this from a future standpoint as well as a business standpoint, Luongo is 34 and his contract is one that not many teams were willing to take on. We got younger which is what a REBUILD is. We now have quite decent cap space going in to sign UFA's and such. We don't know how Lack and Markstrom are going to play in these next few years. The cup dreams are gone for the next year or two, these last seasons have been write-offs. Lu didn't want to stay here, and although I am sad he is gone, at least we got something for him while we still could before he's gotten even older.

People forgetting that Lu didn't want to be a Canuck? WTF

Markstrom is going to be very good goalie. He has high potential and the Nuck staff are very good at helping goailies reach their potential. He was the AHL goalie of the month in Feb. Watch him blossom in Vancouver.

Matthias will look really good centering Zack and Booth. He is a solid (and very big) 3rd line C.

Best of all? No more Lu drama.

Archived