The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] At The Draft (MG has a chance to make really smart move)

Take a look. This is assuming everything stays in position as it is of now.

30. Baffalo

29.Edmonton

28.Florida

27.New York Islanders

But Buffalo has New Yorks pick this year. I dont think the Islanders can get themselfs in a playoff spot next year without a big change. Theres also Mcdavid and i dont think New York is willing to give up that much knowing if they bomb next year, tavraves goes down again or something.

So at the draft.

Buffalo takes Sam Reinhart

Edmonton takes Aaron Ekblad

Florida takes Samuel Bennett

Now MG comes in.

PROPOSAL

To Van - Buffalo's 4th overall pick

To Buf - Vancouvers 1st (lets say 8-10) + Gaunce + Corrado

At Number 4 we take

Leon Draisaitl

Height 6'1

Weight 198

so he is not small by anymeans

He could be the best player to come out of this draft.

Imagine a 1-2 punch of Horvat and Draisitl in the future replacing Henrik and Kesler

Thoughts?

No...they've already confirmed they are keeping this years pick which is within their rights after Tavares went down at the Olympics.

And again, our 1st Gaunce AND Corrado to move up to potentially 4th? Even if they had that pick it would be a horrible over payment

30. Baffalo

29.Edmonton

28.Florida

27.New York Islanders

But Buffalo has New Yorks pick this year. I dont think the Islanders can get themselfs in a playoff spot next year without a big change. Theres also Mcdavid and i dont think New York is willing to give up that much knowing if they bomb next year, tavraves goes down again or something.

So at the draft.

Buffalo takes Sam Reinhart

Edmonton takes Aaron Ekblad

Florida takes Samuel Bennett

Now MG comes in.

PROPOSAL

To Van - Buffalo's 4th overall pick

To Buf - Vancouvers 1st (lets say 8-10) + Gaunce + Corrado

At Number 4 we take

Leon Draisaitl

Height 6'1

Weight 198

so he is not small by anymeans

He could be the best player to come out of this draft.

Imagine a 1-2 punch of Horvat and Draisitl in the future replacing Henrik and Kesler

Thoughts?

is it a really smart move because you came up with it?.......

Buffalo does not have New York Islanders pick this year. Also what a HUGE overpayment to only move up a few places.....

quality over quantity and besidesanything could happen Bennett and Ehlers could suprise or Draistil could suprise and we could end up with one of Reinhart or Ekblad

Not worth it in a crap shoot year draft wise. Giving up Gaunce who should be at worst a 3rd liner in the NHL if he can improve his skating (clearly has the hockey sense and skating can improve with effort/training which the Nucks will give him), and Corrado who has the ability to be a solid 3-4 in the NHL and has leadership skills AND our first to move 3-4 spots for a shot? no chance

Better to stay where we are or trade our first and a prospect that's a maybe to move up and if not stay where we are...there are many talented players in the 6-10 spot who may just end up being better than anyone after #3 its that weird of a year draft wise.

30. Baffalo

29.Edmonton

28.Florida

27.New York Islanders

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a spelling Nazi or anything, but there's something about this I find ridiculously funny.

The way this team is free falling, there is a good chance of Vancouver drafting Draisaitl all on their own...

Current draft order:

Buffalo 46pts 64gp (Reinhardt)

Edmonton 52pts 65gp (Ekbland)

Florida 55pts 64gp (Perlini)

Calgary 57pts 65gp (Bennett)

NYI 59pts 67gp (Dal Colle)

Carolina 63pts 64gp

Nashville 64pts 65gp

Vancouver 68pts 67gp

Not a stretch to see Vancouver bump up to picking 6th after NYI. With Florida and NYI pretty well stocked with Centres, can see them going for wingers. Could even see Calgary going (slightly) off board to select Ritchie given how much they love Beef and Truculence.

I think Ehlers is the pick for the Canucks.

Yes, he's not a C (LW)

Yes, he's a bit under weight (165/175 vs 195 ideal), but he does have the height

Current scouting reports have Ehlers being more Dynamic and Speed (equated to Bure) than anyone in the last draft. That's about as good as it gets when it comes to crap shooting in a draft, then I say the Canucks should take it and run.

Weight can be added. What can't be taught or instilled is god given talent, natural raw skills and work ethic which this kid is supposed to have in spades.

The kid has superstar potential written all over him, all we can do is give him an environment conducive to reaching that potential.

I don't see a point in moving up this year. There are tons of talented wingers in this draft and next year is McDavid's draft. I'd rather have a 1-2 punch of McDavid-Horvat

However, I'd love to see a duo of McDavid and Sam Bennett down centre ice :P

With the luck this team has had over the last 40+ years we'll finish last and lose the lottery pick.

Or Luongo retires and Bettman strips us of our 1st pick as part of the cap recapture penalties. :picard:

Not worth it in a crap shoot year draft wise. Giving up Gaunce who should be at worst a 3rd liner in the NHL if he can improve his skating (clearly has the hockey sense and skating can improve with effort/training which the Nucks will give him), and Corrado who has the ability to be a solid 3-4 in the NHL and has leadership skills AND our first to move 3-4 spots for a shot? no chance

When a player is described as being a 3rd liner "if he improves his skating", he's a fungible player.

Corrado is likely a 5-6 d-man and has some value as long as he's cheap, but he's pretty replaceable. Guys like that (Stanton) are often available on waivers when elite teams cannot send them to the minors.

There is not doubt that they have some value. But if wanted to convince a team to move from 4th to 10th, you's have yo give up some player with real value. Fungible players won't do it. 6 spots in the 2-3 round isn't so much, getting to the top end of the 1st round is huge.

Buffalo does not have New York Islanders pick this year. Also what a HUGE overpayment to only move up a few places.....

I wasn't aware of it for a while too man, but buffalo is going hard.

Look, id be all over moving up in the draft, but not at the expense of Corrado. Infact id rather keep him and draft LOWER than do that deal. I'd package a couple older regs from the pro's with our 1st. Also, don't forget that we probably aren't going to finish higher than 12th in the conference. Nashville is at 12th with a game in hand and two pts behind, an eastern team is sitting at 65 pts with a couple games in hand. Theres also the chance of winning the lottery.

Archived