The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line-up looking past this year ( we r not making a run this year, let it go!)

nitti999

The shy is falling we had a crappy year. So many factors, salary cap, lu contract, new coach, injuries, olympics. let it go. Going into next year there is a lot to look forward to especially in this market where we spend to the cap and players usually like to play. I've pencilled in some names, ideas from there

option 1:

d. sedin h. sedin burrows

jensen _____ kassian

hansen horvat higgins

_______matias archibald

edler? tanev

hammer bieska

corrado garrison

lack/ ____

out: kesler/ booth/ shroeder( he doesn't have a place )

in: over 20 mil in cap space

Mini rebuild, detroit style not calgary style. ( I don't think Gillis or any replacement is as misguided as calgary management has been) There is some solid pieces, ( Sedins are not done they need to be played less and be healthy. Kesler is out ( love the guy, but he can't score or play set-up centre) he's a shutdown center, we need a playmaker, (don't know who that is , one possibility is to split the sedins up) which leads to

option 2 keep kes.

d. sedin kesler burrows

jensen h. sedin kassian

higgins horvat hansen

sestito mattias archi

edler tanev

bieska hammer

corrado garrison

lack/ markstrom

- I think this looks good on paper and cap room still. Its not as grey as it seems

I really don't like those lines...

Your top scoring line is also your shut down line??

Kesler is a shut down machine with an offensive upside, that is why people want him.

Sedin Sedin UFA

Burrows Trade/UFA Jensen

Higgins Matthias Kassian

Sestito Richardson Dalpe/Welsh

Edler Tanev

Bieksa Stanton

Garrison Weber/Corrado

I doubt Bo or Hunter get the call next year.

Danny can move down for Jensen if Jensen tears it up and Dank doesn't.

Another option could even be

Sedin Sedin UFA

UFA/T UFA/T Jensen

Higgins Matthias Burrows

Santorelli Richardson Kassian

^^^^

Better than 2011 and very affordable if we can land some big fish like Callahan, Vanek, Gaborik, Couturier through trades or signings.

Daniel was just signed for four years. There is no 'moving on' without him.

Booth is not going to be bought out. He commands 4.25 in cap space.

Nobody is taking on Burrows salary or paying his bonus other than the Canucks.Dream on.

Kesler is leaving,he has waived and is in the process of being moved.

Management have shown zero faith in Markstrom so consider cap space for a veteran goalie.

Mario played junior as a 19 year old.It is not going to hurt Bo to play there another year.

Not much will change until Kes is traded but Matthias has his spot and Santo will play on his wing with Higgy.

Booth Schroeder and Kass for the third line until they can trade Schroeder and then Richardson moves up.

Daniel was just signed for four years. There is no 'moving on' without him.

Booth is not going to be bought out. He commands 4.25 in cap space.

Nobody is taking on Burrows salary or paying his bonus other than the Canucks.Dream on.

Kesler is leaving,he has waived and is in the process of being moved.

Management have shown zero faith in Markstrom so consider cap space for a veteran goalie.

Mario played junior as a 19 year old.It is not going to hurt Bo to play there another year.

Not much will change until Kes is traded but Matthias has his spot and Santo will play on his wing with Higgy.

Booth Schroeder and Kass for the third line until they can trade Schroeder and then Richardson moves up.

You keep saying this but you're the only one I can think of that is so sure of it.

It's anybody's guess at this point.

The Magic 8 Ball says "All Signs Point To YES"

I will be utterly shocked if we enter next season without a new PMD and PP QB.

I don't know who it will be but there will be a change on the D with certainty IMO.

I wonder if they could convince Edler to waive his no trade to go to Phoenix to play with Ekman-Larsson with Yandle coming back the other way. Pipe dream I know.

Or maybe they sign a guy like Meszaros to play next to Edler. He is another guy who is similar in age to Edler and has offensive capability in his game.

Perhaps Tanev will take on a more offensive role or they call up Corrado and give him a shot next year like Jensen.

I'm excited to see the prospects all play together on Utica next year hopefully and then the Canucks can see who is playing well and go from there.

Guys like Horvat,Shinkaruk, Guance, Cassels, Fox, and Subban should all make the the farm team next year.

Not to mention maybe even a forward taken in this years draft to add to that mix.

Nobody wants to go anywhere though so the Canucks only really have Kesler,Hansen, and Schroeder as trading chips to try to improve the team.

The rest have no trades or big cap numbers and are not attractive to other teams.

Additions needed:

• Top 6 Forward - This needs to be somebody that can be a game changer and compliment Kesler
  • A PP QB - Something this team has been lacking for a long time

Who becomes available?

• Hansen
  • Edler (Although he says he won't waive, things can change)
  • Schroeder
  • Booth - Compliance buyout if anything. He could be somebody that could be traded to a team trying to reach the cap floor. He has qualities but not for 4.25 million in Vancouver

Grab a solid prospect in this years draft, sign or trade for an offensive defensemen (Weber doesn't cut it if we want to be in the playoff picture), go hard after one of the top forwards in this years UFA or trade for one (Edler + Hansen has value)

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows - I expect a full bounce back next year for the Sedins, they will train hard in the summer.

UFA - Kesler - Jensen/Higgins

Higgins/Jensen - Matthias - Kassian

Richardson - Santo - Archibald

Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Tanev

Stanton - PP QB

Lack

Markstrom

The line-up can have a lot of different looks if needed, which is a very good thing.

That's what I would do at least.

Jensen Henrik Burrows

Sedin Trade/UFA Trade/UFA

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Sestito Mathias Kassian

Archibald

Hamhuis Tanev

Garrison Corrado

Stanton Trade/UFA

Weber

And Ideal Kesler trade would hopefully bring us a playmaking centerman and a prospect or a blue chip prospect, a high draft pick and another mid level prospect.

Booth gets bought out or Gillis pulls off a miracle by getting something back for him in a trade. Like a 5th round pick.

Kassian is too inconsistent for me to slot him into a top six role at the moment. Unless he tears it up the last 11 games. He will be fighting for a top 12 spot on next years squad.

Jensen has given me a glimmer of hope for our youngsters and could be that young cheap player we have desperately been lacking the past 6 years.

I'm counting on Horvat to come into camp hungry as hell and taking the 3rd line center position. We need him to help us all forget about Gillis' goalie giveaway contest. Even if him and Mathias switch 3/4C throughout the season would be fine.

As for our defense. There are two guys who really need a change of scenery. Edler and Bieksa have to go this summer. But Edler may be too tough to move. With a league worst +/- and a 6 million dollar cap. We may be stuck with him. But with Gillis, you never know what ridiculous move he might pull off this summer. As a right handed shot, Bieksa would fit right into the all left handed d corps of Detroit. If we could somehow pry Jurco or Tatar from Holland for Bieksa.

With those two guys out. Corrado knows there are spots open and will work his arse off this summer to be in the lineup.

Weber has shown to be a servicable 7th dman who can slot into the 4th line RW postion if needed.

I like Jensen on the right side, and correct me if I am wrong but has Burrows not been playing on the left during his hot streak? If so..

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Burrows-Kes/Santo/UFA-Kassian (I think people forget how clutch Santorelli was to start the season)
Higgins- Horvat - Hansen
Richardson - Matthais - UFA

Hamhuis - Tanev
Stanton - Bieksa
Garrison - Edler/UFA

Lack
Halak

Solution to our woes? Assuming Jensen can play the way he has - big assumption yes but let him develop, and 2 Horvat can make the jump

Burrows Sedin Jensen - anyone watching recently can see the chemistry here. Hank has not lost it, I fear Daniel has been the drag on that line. He has transitioned to more of a passer than shooter since the 'hit'. So make him a playmaker.

Daniel Horvat Kesler - no brainer here. Keep Kes, put him on the wing, teaches Horvat how to play the role he played so well for so many years. Horvat distributes well, as does Daniel. Kesler up and down the wing, big young center in the middle (isn't that what people want from a Kesler deal? Well we have one, use him)

Higgins Santo Kassian - great gritty line with decent hands. Also allows Kass to learn from 2 junk yard dogs, guys who give it all every night

Matthias Richardson Hansen - a proper 4th line that can eat minutes and can contribute

Very little changes folks and we have a hell of a team. I think MG hoped this would happen this year and it didn't. But I look at that lineup and think, heck, that can compete with anyone, has hands, speed, grit and more importantly depth on the 3rd and 4th lines to allow the top 2 to rest.

Its a third and 4th that lets Torts roll them like AV...

Just need Horvat to show he was worth Schnieds and I think he will (not to mention, we get 3 of our future core to be tutored properly by the types of players we want them to become (Jensen - sniper / Horvat 2 way / Kassian - grit and effort)

People seem confident that Bo Horvat will be NHL ready by next season. Though looking at Centers that were drafted around the same overall as him like Hodgson, Kadri, and Couture it seems Horvat around 3 years in the minors/juniors before being ready for the main roster.

Also no love for Jordan Schroeder it seems here? Not sure if he's ready though. Should the Cancuks take a chance on him next season?

Personally I wouldn't forget Mike Santorelli, he really needs to be resigned next season.

I probably see the team's Forward lines looking like this

I wonder if they could convince Edler to waive his no trade to go to Phoenix to play with Ekman-Larsson with Yandle coming back the other way. Pipe dream I know.

Or maybe they sign a guy like Meszaros to play next to Edler. He is another guy who is similar in age to Edler and has offensive capability in his game.

Perhaps Tanev will take on a more offensive role or they call up Corrado and give him a shot next year like Jensen.

I'm excited to see the prospects all play together on Utica next year hopefully and then the Canucks can see who is playing well and go from there.

Guys like Horvat,Shinkaruk, Guance, Cassels, Fox, and Subban should all make the the farm team next year.

Not to mention maybe even a forward taken in this years draft to add to that mix.

Nobody wants to go anywhere though so the Canucks only really have Kesler,Hansen, and Schroeder as trading chips to try to improve the team.

The rest have no trades or big cap numbers and are not attractive to other teams.

Horvat and Cassels (Subban as well I believe) are not eligible for the AHL next season. Its either the NHL or OHL for those 3.

Archived