The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Centre Mike Santorelli Ahead of Schedule in Recovery

TheRussianRocket.

Did you ever consider to read my post?

He had 2gs and 0as in his last 12 games and was a -8.

Well, that shows how good he was lol. If he went on a stretch like that to end the year and still ended up with solid stats for the entire year, shows even a bad streak didn't drastically reduce his overall production.

Well, that shows how good he was lol. If he went on a stretch like that to end the year and still ended up with solid stats for the entire year, shows even a bad streak didn't drastically reduce his overall production.

Yea, pretty much this... He was steady on pace for 50ish points since the season started.

Yea, pretty much this... He was steady on pace for 50ish points since the season started.

Well, that was the argument for Raymond. Started strong but faded from a consistency perspective and wasn't doing as much later in the year.

Santorelli certainly did have periods where he wasn't producing, and although I wouldn't quite label him streaky it's hard to know how he would have played over the full season. Would he have been able to help when we were struggling or would he have faded? If we re-sign him, what will he be like in coming seasons, and for how much?

Gotta re-sign the guy. Did more for us this year than any player not named Kesler.

Him and Henrik have to be our MVP's cause without them Kesler is nothing this year.

Oct and December were keslers best goal months and he played with santo and henrik in those months. Not to mention all the time he gets with hank on the pp.

Henrik and Santo are these teams sparkplugs for sure (when they are healthy)

Well, that was the argument for Raymond. Started strong but faded from a consistency perspective and wasn't doing as much later in the year.

Santorelli certainly did have periods where he wasn't producing, and although I wouldn't quite label him streaky it's hard to know how he would have played over the full season. Would he have been able to help when we were struggling or would he have faded? If we re-sign him, what will he be like in coming seasons, and for how much?

Precisely why he should be cheap ;)

Precisely why he should be cheap ;)

That assumes he thinks so as well. If he is then he'd be great depth in the event a young prospect makes it, or more of a regular in the line up if they don't.

We've seen others (Ehrhoff and Torres most notably, but Salo, Ohlund and Mitchell come to mind as well) not buy into the team by taking a reasonable offer considering any concerns over their negatives. Santo's got some incentive to want to stay close though being from the area so I don't see buy in as the issue if he doesn't re-sign.

That assumes he thinks so as well. If he is then he'd be great depth in the event a young prospect makes it, or more of a regular in the line up if they don't.

We've seen others (Ehrhoff and Torres most notably, but Salo, Ohlund and Mitchell come to mind as well) not buy into the team by taking a reasonable offer considering any concerns over their negatives. Santo's got some incentive to want to stay close though being from the area so I don't see buy in as the issue if he doesn't re-sign.

Well if he thinks he's "Sidney Crosby" all of a sudden...

I'm more concerned that he thinks he's in the Salo/Torres boat - a guy with some question marks still (Salo was age, Torres was suspensions) around what he can really do over a full season and in the playoffs and will want a little more $$ but at more term. It'll be a tougher decision for where the tipping point on his value rally is before we end up with Raymond again making $2.5M but not doing enough in the playoffs for a top 6 player.

I'm more concerned that he thinks he's in the Salo/Torres boat - a guy with some question marks still (Salo was age, Torres was suspensions) around what he can really do over a full season and in the playoffs and will want a little more $$ but at more term. It'll be a tougher decision for where the tipping point on his value rally is before we end up with Raymond again making $2.5M but not doing enough in the playoffs for a top 6 player.

I don't think Gillis is going to sign him for 6 years and $10m ;)

At this point I don't think there's much to worry about. If he wants much more than +/- $1.5m (...maybe approaching $2m) from 1-3 years then he'll likely have to get it elsewhere.

The fact that the team took a standings dive after his injury kinda understated the lack of forward depth we had going into the season. Cap casualty team.

Still goes to suggest we should not give up depth, such as Santorelli, without kicking and screaming.

Next year lines should look like this:

Sedin/Sedin/Jensen

Higgs/Horvat/Burrows

Santo/Gaunce/Fox

Matthias/Richardson/Kassian

DEF

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Garrison/Tanev

Weber/Subban*

Booth bought out. Edler gone. Dalpe demoted to Utica Comets. Ryan Kesler on 2nd line if he is still with Vancouver. If not Horvat. Get rid of Schroeder. Hansen gone. Subban gets called up and cracks the starting lineup. Or Corrado. Corrado a very good shutdown defenseman certainly the canucks could use.

Santo definitely a player to resign. Canucks can try to look for a top 4 defenseman in free agents. Garrison being the odd man out.

Next year lines should look like this:

Sedin/Sedin/Jensen

Higgs/Kesler*/Burrows

Santo/Horvat/Fox

Matthias/Richardson/Kassian

DEF

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Garrison/Tanev

Weber/Subban*

Booth bought out. Edler gone. Dalpe demoted to Utica Comets. Ryan Kesler on 2nd line if he is still with Vancouver. Get rid of Schroeder. Hansen gone.

hunter will be there too .. bank on it

Santorelli must be a Canuck for life.

I am with you ! Santorelli should be our second line center. Kesler as much as I love the player he is, wants out.

It is no coincidence that the Canucks have faltered without him.

Archived