The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Little bit of an analysis on the picks in our range.

Tom Sestito

The top 2 guys in this draft are the only guarantees to ever be decent NHL players and even then I am not entirely sold on Reinhart. I just hope we draft whoever the best player available is instead of some "off the board" flyer or pigeonhole ourselves into taking a specific position player. Regardless of who we take, it is the development side we need to get in order (and finally having our own farm team will go a long way towards that) - Detroit being a perfect example because I don't think they draft much better than anyone else but they are Grade A when it comes to developing their prospects.

To be honest I think almost everyone overrates drafting and draft position. Yes if you draft first or second overall you are gonna get a damn good player for the most part. However I would argue that player development accounts for probably greater than 50% of a players success on any given team. No i don't have a source for that statistic, I am just throwing that out there.

All I have to do is give one example and you will see what I mean - the Edmonton Oilers. They had 3 picks 1st overall and none of their players have reached close to their potential. Was it a bad draft in all three years even though majority of 30 teams had them also ranked 1st? Look at the last 30 1st overall picks and tell me how many of those were not star players. I can tell you there aren't too many. I think this just proves that drafting isn't everything.

The counter argument might be made that Vancouver has never rushed their players and so if they were going to be good players they would've reached their potential. The fact is that if a certain bust had been drafted by a different team they could be star players. If we had drafted Kopitar maybe he would have only been a perpetual third line player because of the way we developed him. Confidence is a huge factor in a prospects success and one call up and demotion might negatively affect his entire career. This is why I think the Canucks owning the Utica Comets will be a huge factor in the success of future prospects. Hopefully in a few years no one will be complaining of our drafting.

I wish we would stop saying " Vancouver doesn't rush it's prospects " ... lol... welcome to the NEW Nhl Where 18 year olds make an impact right away, and are expected to step in right away and contribute.

Vancouver hasn't just "not rushed" they have severely hindered their prospects development over the last FOREVER by banishing good players to the CHL and the AHL.

I'm one of those guys that wanted as high a pick as possible. I aruged a bit, but some cooler heads have gotten me to accept the realities of what you suggest. My new stance is that I guess it comes down to who your scouting staff has projected where. My main concern was that if we give MG a high pick it's hard for him to screw it up like it seems he has done. However, in retrospect his first round picks have all been good. No complaints ... however, from the second round on he has been terrible, jumping off the board like the Flames as if he has some super knowledge that no one else has.

At the very least I think a lot of us just wanted to look forward to something and try to take a win out of this season, even if it is merely symbolic.

Thanks for stealing my hope Tommy! <_<

Seems like a lot of people are really hanging the future of the club on next year's draft - one player, that may or may not pan out (even highly placed drafts are not guarantees as others have said) and may not even see a Canucks uniform for 3 or more years isn't next year's answer. Yes, a nice piece for the future, but the emphasis on placing low in the standings in order to get a better draft is overstating the process.

Seems like a lot of people are really hanging the future of the club on next year's draft - one player, that may or may not pan out (even highly placed drafts are not guarantees as others have said) and may not even see a Canucks uniform for 3 or more years isn't next year's answer. Yes, a nice piece for the future, but the emphasis on placing low in the standings in order to get a better draft is overstating the process.

Sounds like you're just not used to players panning out for us. And I don't blame you.

The trick would be to get a player that does. The 2015 draft is full of studs and stars. Gonna be hard to fail there.

Most franchise players are acquired via the draft. Since the Sedins are declining, we're going to need new ones. And given the way the team is declining on the whole and their decent prospects are all years away from being decent NHLers, I can see us getting new ones via the draft, regardless of what we as fans want the team to do in this regard. We're not talking about just one draft either. We're talking about 3-4. This team is not close.

Sounds like you're just not used to players panning out for us. And I don't blame you.

The trick would be to get a player that does. The 2015 draft is full of studs and stars. Gonna be hard to fail there.

Most franchise players are acquired via the draft. Since the Sedins are declining, we're going to need new ones. And given the way the team is declining on the whole and their decent prospects are all years away from being decent NHLers, I can see us getting new ones via the draft, regardless of what we as fans want the team to do in this regard. We're not talking about just one draft either. We're talking about 3-4. This team is not close.

I don't disagree - I should have been more specific referring to the people that seem to be thinking that this draft will make the club better next year (i.e. more important than trades or RFA signings in the off season). Yes, it's important to get decent players, even great ones in the draft, but I still want to see the current players play their hearts out down the road - if nothing else it shows who has character and ideally, increases the trade value of certain players (seeing Booth light it up in the last several games can't be a bad thing).

If the Canucks do trade Kesler/Edler/Whoever, they should be aiming to get 2015 1st and 2nd rounders, imho. Buffalo has and they're going to be a better team because of it.

The 2nd rounders aren't going to be any better than the 2nd rounders in previous draft. The 2015 draft is special because it has exceptional top end talent. After around 10-15, the talent is like any other draft. The 2015 draft is not as deep as the 2013 draft

Since 2006 Detroits drafting has been abysmal. Tartar and Nyquist (and presumably Mantha) are the only decent players.

That is just way, way off base.

Shawn Matthias (dealt for Bertuzzi)

Cory Emmerton

Brendan Smith

Joakim Andersson

Gustav Nyqvist

Tomas Tatar (not a dipping sauce for fish)

Petr Mrazek

Pukkinen

Jarnkrok

Sheahan

Jurco

Ouellet

Sproul

Almquist

Frk

Mantha

And undoubtedly some others among them to emerge.

I think you need to have a closer look.

You'll have to explain how "abysmal" drafting has landed them a Calder Cup.

Lots of teams would kill to draft so 'abysmally'.

If drafting is a crap shoot, then why does Detroit almost always draft good players? Excuses.

From what I understand, the Wings strength is in development more than drafting. Their farm team plays the same system as the parent club and they keep their players there until they know exactly how to be successful contributors on the NHL level.

Now compare that to how Shroeder has been "Developed" The Canucks attitude towards their prospects is "Go figure it out on your own" Then when they get called up they are criticized for the "holes in their game" and end up on the 4th line or a healthy scratch before being sent back, or let go completely.

I believe we are lacking in development, not drafting.

I wish we would stop saying " Vancouver doesn't rush it's prospects " ... lol... welcome to the NEW Nhl Where 18 year olds make an impact right away, and are expected to step in right away and contribute.

Vancouver hasn't just "not rushed" they have severely hindered their prospects development over the last FOREVER by banishing good players to the CHL and the AHL.

I wish people would stop pretending to appropriate or speak for some kind of "we".

There are lots of different perspectives.

Yours certainly isn't the "real" one.

Does Detroit hinder their prospects development as well, by keeping their youth in their system until they are actually NHL ready?

Which Canucks prospects are hindered and should have been in the NHL?

Btw, there are 6 18yr olds in the NHL - two of them on teams with winning records - McKinnon and Nichushkin.

From what I understand, the Wings strength is in development more than drafting. Their farm team plays the same system as the parent club and they keep their players there until they know exactly how to be successful contributors on the NHL level.

Now compare that to how Shroeder has been "Developed" The Canucks attitude towards their prospects is "Go figure it out on your own" Then when they get called up they are criticized for the "holes in their game" and end up on the 4th line or a healthy scratch before being sent back, or let go completely.

I believe we are lacking in development, not drafting.

Yeah, Detroit's development must factor into this quite a bit. I have found it interesting how Detroit hold so little value for 1st round picks and trades quite a few away at the dealine.

I understand that history will show lots of different results and inconsistencies, but I know that draft pick #8 is a better tool than #9, which is a better tool than #10. Give your scouting staff the best tool and tell them to do their job, just as any business would.

I understand that history will show lots of different results and inconsistencies, but I know that draft pick #8 is a better tool than #9, which is a better tool than #10. Give your scouting staff the best tool and tell them to do their job, just as any business would.

This has been my favorite part of this debate. People trying to make me believe that 14 equals 8. It ain't going to happen. lol

I've watched Honka play live all year this year, unbelievable skater and has amazing hands, but he is on the small side, and plays terrible defensively. Plays similar to a Justin Schultz or Erik Karlsson, ALWAYS wanting to jump up with the play and make a play. Basically like having a 4th forward out there.

Yeah, I realize he is a 'puck moving' type defenseman, and probably the best one in the draft - that skating ability and those hands are something the Canucks could certainly use on the blueline. He may be 5'11, 175, but he's also only just turned 18.

I don't necessarily agree with your assessment of how terrible he is defensively, and for his size, he has a fair amount of grit and compete level. Jumping into the play alone does not make him terrible defensively - he certainly has the skating ability to recover, and players like that also have a puck retrieving advantage, ability to gain and move the puck before the forecheck closes on them.

What he's already done in Swift Current is very impressive imo - and he's got an intangible quality to his character - I think he's going to be a hell of a pick and hope the Canucks go with him if he's available.

If drafting in the top 10 is so important, then why does Detroit, who have drafted in the top 20 about once in the last 20 years, always draft good players?

Draft position is overstated.

If Detroits drafting is so good how come they haven't produced a a legitimate top liner in the last 5 years? I'm not saying they are bad. Quite clearly better then us and great at filling in their roster holes with young guys brought up from the AHL. But they are not the holy grail everyone perceives them to be. They have struggled mightily since Lidstrom retired and they are slowly closing in on the end of the line for Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Both are are very beat up and becoming less effective with each passing season. Do you really think Tartar and Sheahan are the next Zetterberg and Datsyuk? Even if they make tremendous jumps Their defence isn't anything to brag about, although Kronwall has stepped up nicely. People make all these posts about how Detroit turns late round picks into superstars but in reality almost none of those guys became superstars. Their biggest success in the draft comes from after the 2nd round and they havent turned in any top line talent in a while. Most of the guys people name as premium young players have still yet to prove anything beyond a decent season surrounded by the above aforementioned players.

Detroits draft record is overstated.

Archived