The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Team 1040 Interview

Cold Hard Truth

In 2011 / 2012 We already knew Ballard was not played by his coach in the finals the year before. That $4.2 mill would have bought a decent forward. But it would have taken Gillis moving on from his problem. We all know he tries to salvage everything first.

In 2012/13 we carried salaries for Ballard, Booth and Schneider, $12.2 mill. Gillis was willing to spend, but not deal with his issues again. Had we analyzed that as Lou, Ballard and Booth; $13.73 mill... He also added Garrisons salary to our crew of of LHD (Garrison, Edler, Ballard), so he knew Ballard was not a solution by then.

And Garrison is a decent player, but not a decent fit for what we actually needed; a PMD or RHD. $13.73 becomes $18.33 in cap money not doing what we want or need.

I am bloody happy Gillis has finally gotten to the task of managing his budget and issues this year. Gillis can easily be accused of misappropriating funds that could have done a lot those two years!

Yes and agreed.

It is a shame Gillis does not have superior player assessment and/or selection management skills so that the team he is paid to manage can succeed.

Taking on multiple concussed players and not dealing concussed players is a major flaw in Gillis' management level.

He personally said he understands little to nothing about concussions/head injuries and yet he takes on and continues having the team saddled with those contracts.

Not replacing the skill set that this team won with in Salo and Ehrhoff is another MAJOR blunder and exposes Gillis' lack of knowledge concerning his own team's success and his d men. Stacking up on RHD and then signing Garrison without addressing that flaw further exposed him and his skill level.

$18 million in the tank while Kes and the twins get run down each and every night and your d is no longer able to work properly ,never mind the transition game that made this team a success is long gone.

I don't necessariy agree with that - were the Canucks to move Kesler at the draft, unless a guy like Couturier or Dubinsky were coming back in a deal, there could be quite an opportunity for a UFA to come in and step into a top 6 role. Who's to say a guy like Stastny wouldn't want to come in and assume those minutes, particularly behind a top line guy like Henrik who is 33.5, and ahead of a young group of centers in the system? I don't see Vancouver as a dead end destination in the least.

As far as I'm concerned, this team is nowhere near as close to dead in the water as some people on these boards perceive.

Where Gillis' free agent signings are concerned, people like to underplay them based upon Hamhuis and Garrison being BC born guys, and the assumption that is the only motive to come here. Aside from them, guys like Richardson, Santorelli, Lack, Tanev have been outstanding UFA pickups imo, but also, being a President's trophy team also tends to mean a fairly difficult lineup to crack and not a whole lot of cap space available to add UFAs looking for market value. It's a changing context, and imo, Gillis has done quite well within the contexts he was working.

Nah, didn't you know that Demitra, Samuellson, Malhotra, Torres, Sundin, Tanev... Every one of those guys is a BC boy. No credit to Gillis whatsoever.

And even though all of those guys were signed before we had win a Presidents Trophy, they are also psychic, so they KNEW it was going to happen. That's why the signed... in SPITE of MG.

Nah, didn't you know that Demitra, Samuellson, Malhotra, Torres, Sundin, Tanev... Every one of those guys is a BC boy. No credit to Gillis whatsoever.

And even though all of those guys were signed before we had win a Presidents Trophy, they are also psychic, so they KNEW it was going to happen. That's why the signed... in SPITE of MG.

Gillis also signed guys like Ebbet, M. Schneider, Sturm, Schaefer, Barker.

None of those plugs proved capable of playing in the NHL. The major issue with Gillis is still his trades though. The only way he should be allowed to say is if he has absolutely zero input on player personnel decisions.

Aquilini rumored to be flying out to meet ...

You guessed it - Bob Nicholson.

Well hopefully this signals that Gillis won't be allowed to make any more trades, regardless of how that interview goes. Can't wait to see what a real GM can do for this team.

"Particularly behind a top guy like Henrik"

Henrik's not a top line guy anymore.

He's an average 2nd line centre, currently ranked 40th.

Daniel's still a 1/2 line forward a tweener at 55th among all wingers.

Players don't just drop off like that. Especially ones who have the work ethic like the twins, Torts has no idea how to use skill players. Look at Nash and Richards, this team needs a coach who knows how to coach an offensive skill game. Thats the way this team is built.

Aquilini rumored to be flying out to meet ...

You guessed it - Bob Nicholson.

Nope. didn't guess it, you a long with other Nux fans I hope can stop talking out their asses. Ok... lets fire a GM that has won a division for every single season that he's been a GM on top of 2 Presidents trophies, a GM of the year award, for someone who has NO MANAGING EXPERIENCE NO NEGOTIATING EXPERIENCE NO CONTRACT OR TERM LIKE EXPERIENCE.

yes! hire someone someone with no experience! to replace Mike Gillis.

Gawd you guys are crazy.

The problem is Gillis has a lot of experience making trades. Unfortunately, most of those trades are absolutely terrible. Dealing away Schneider for peanuts, coupled with retaining salary on the following Luongo trade is simply unacceptable.

Maggie the Monkey would be an improvement over the idiot the Canucks currently have for a GM.

Nope. didn't guess it, you a long with other Nux fans I hope can stop talking out their asses. Ok... lets fire a GM that has won a division for every single season that he's been a GM on top of 2 Presidents trophies, a GM of the year award, for someone who has NO MANAGING EXPERIENCE NO NEGOTIATING EXPERIENCE NO CONTRACT OR TERM LIKE EXPERIENCE.

Gawd you guys are crazy.

You may be drunk so I'll let this go.

Gawd you guys are crazy.

Right in the same line of people who want Naslund as GM... Barf lands on barf.

I'm okay with Gillis getting one more year, with salary cap space, to see if he can do something to redirect the ship. Torts style of hockey though I'm not too sure of as a fit for this team.

My god that was awful tonight against the Ducks, season on the line and pffffft....nada....

in the building , zero energy, gestapo security smothering anyone in my section trying to cheer but let me tell you by far, the highlight of that steaming pile of trash was the #FireGillis chants at the end of the third.

gillis shouldn't make excuses, HE was the one that hired the coach for a different style of play...now its not working so he blames the style and want's to change back to the old style...hello? sweep by san jose last playoff with the av style...

this team is done mg get out

Gawd you guys are crazy.

Ummm we didn't win our division this year.

Most of the stuff you talk about is done by the assistant GM. What guys like Nicholson or Gretzky get you is someone who has lots of respect in the hockey world. That is in stark contrast with Gillis who started off as already having a bad relationship with most other GMs in the league as a holdover from his agent days.

Archived