The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

So whats up with EE? Is he holding out until the contract gets sorted out? I thought he was missing games earlier because of a tooth but there's no way he's sat out all spring because of that.

EE set a deadline of end of spring training for a new contract. He's not holding out. Right now he's sidelined with oblique injury.

EE's agent has come out and said he's not seeking a five year contract.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/22/encarnacion-has-not-asked-for-five-year-deal-agent

LAKELAND, Fla. — Edwin Encarnacion has not asked for a five-year deal.

So says Paul Kinzler, his agent.

“I don’t like to negotiate in the newspaper, but since it’s out there (via Sportsnet) I’ll answer,” Kinzler said from Phoenix.

“We have never put a number on the terms of the length of the contract. We have never discussed a dollar amount.”

The Sportsnet report compares Encarnacion to DH Travis Hafner, two “aging, bad-bodied, one-dimensional DH types.”

“Edwin is strong as an ox, he doesn’t have a bad body,” said Kinzler.

Jays president Mark Shapiro must decide what to do as Encarnacion is eligible for free agency at the end of the season. As general manager of the Cleveland Indians, he signed Hafner to a four-year, $57 million US deal.

Encarnacion earns $10 million this season, the final year of a three-year $29 million deal. He is supposed to make his spring debut this week in minor league games as he recovers from an oblique injury.

Over the past four years only Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers has more RBIs than Encarnacion (461-423). And only Baltimore Orioles’ Chris Davis has hit more home runs (159-151) than Encarnacion, who is fifth in slugging (.549) and eighth in OPS (.919).

On March 21, 2016 at 3:11 PM, TheRussianRocket. said:

I think anyone is crazy who says Price would have stayed here for less. He was out for money plain and simple. He ditched St.Louis because the Sox upped their offer exceeding what the Cards offered him. 

Highly doubt he'd take below market value to remain a Jay. Just look at what Bautista has said regarding his contract lol. Money talks, and $31m annually is enough to convince anyone to break the bank. Blue Jays don't even have the budget in the first place to offer something fair for Price. Let's assume they did,  and the max they could offer was $25m per, over 7 years that's nearly $50m Price would lose. 

...just no way he would've stayed here. Yes the player and the agent will always say that as a PR move but end of the day, it was about the money and nothing but the money.

Price only makes 2M more annually than Verlander. Again, if the Jays offered anything close to that (which they could, having one of the richest owners in baseball), I have a feeling he would have stayed. Yes, money does talk, but you also have to factor in, work environment, being happy, and most importantly winning a championship, something that has allude Price in his career. Money isn't everything, Boston had to overpay a huge amount of dollars, just to lure him over from a team he had no connection with. You can tell, he loved playing in TO. The players in the clubhouse had a special bond with him, and the fans treated him like Jesus. That's something money can't buy. In Boston, he was already hated by the fans, who suddenly changed their tune once he signed, and he had issues with one of the clubhouse's leader, in Big Papi. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

True, but the Royals have the relief pitchers to bail out their starters, Jay's don't have that. If the Jay's had that then I'd be ok with not having Price. When I found out the Jay's weren't re-signing Price, I said this team will have to sign or trade for 2 or 3 of the best relievers in the game, if they're not going to have a #1 Ace.

The best relievers in the game is a pretty subjective thing, but in a way it's exactly what management did in the off season.

Storen, Floyd, Venditte...even though it's only pre-season, all have looked good. If he doesn't start, Chavez could be a solid bullpen option as well.

I know it's disappointing to see a stud like Price walk, especially to a rival like the Red Sox and it's tough to think about Joey Bats and Edwing not being here next season, but you can't break the bank on three players and stay competitive in a mid-market spending team.

Look at the positives: Tulo looks great, Pillar seems to be handling the lead-off spot, Smoak, Saunders, Cola and JD all look good. Even Ceciliani has impressed.

What I see here is a lot of people ready to write the season off before it even starts. IMHO, this team looks much better coming out of pre-season than last year's squad and we know how that ended up.

42 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

What is the general consensus among you guys on how this season will unfold for the jays? Playoffs? Go deep? Miss playoffs?

Sox are going to be better this year, so winning the division will be tough, but I'll be surprised if they aren't in the Wild Card hunt at the very least.

I see my Yankees as the division winners if they can stay healthy. Their rotation has impressed me through spring, and their bullpen only got better

imo the jays are the 2nd place team in the division, and a WC team. I doubt their offense will have the same year and their rotation doesn't do it for me in the AL east

Edited by ReggieBush
Spelling

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

What is the general consensus among you guys on how this season will unfold for the jays? Playoffs? Go deep? Miss playoffs?

I know its only spring training but its nice to be winning in preseason heading into a season than losing. This team is better than last year. Full year of Tulo who is looking more comfortable at the plate this year. On top of that pitching in both the starters and bullpen are upgraded. I think the Jays will be a force this year. This might be the best team they'll have for some time.

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

I still expect playoffs from this team but I'll be surprised if they win the World Series, which is the expectation (or maybe hope) for the jays right now.

If injuries dont strike hard there is a good chance the Jays will see the post season...they won again today over the mets..3-1...Tulo took a pitch on his hand..not broken but will be out for a bit....and I dont know how you keep Sanchez out of the starting rotation.. Toronto's Aaron Sanchez, bidding to be the fifth starter, scattered four hits in 6 1-3 shutout innings. He has given up three earned runs in 19 2/3 innings and five appearances.

14 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The best relievers in the game is a pretty subjective thing, but in a way it's exactly what management did in the off season.

Storen, Floyd, Venditte...even though it's only pre-season, all have looked good. If he doesn't start, Chavez could be a solid bullpen option as well.

I know it's disappointing to see a stud like Price walk, especially to a rival like the Red Sox and it's tough to think about Joey Bats and Edwing not being here next season, but you can't break the bank on three players and stay competitive in a mid-market spending team.

Look at the positives: Tulo looks great, Pillar seems to be handling the lead-off spot, Smoak, Saunders, Cola and JD all look good. Even Ceciliani has impressed.

What I see here is a lot of people ready to write the season off before it even starts. IMHO, this team looks much better coming out of pre-season than last year's squad and we know how that ended up.

Well if you not willing to pay up to get a #1 pitcher, then yes you do need 2 or 3 of the top relievers in the game to back up your pitchers, the bats aren't always going to do it. Looking good in pre season is one thing, showing consistency in the MLB season is another thing, and all of those players haven't shown that, they're just cheaper options hoping to pan out. Osuna out pitched all of them last year.

It's disappointing to watch an Ace like Price walk without even trying to negotiate, I don't care what team it is.  It's not tough thinking that, it's common sense that they both can't be here, it would only be breaking the bank on 2 players, which isn't breaking the bank when your trying to win a WORLD SERIES.

Not here to write the season off, here to see this team succeed to the best of it's abilities to win a World Series Now, not just compete for the playoffs.

Do you not remember the Jays season last year? Where was this team before getting Price? Still fighting for the playoffs.
Where was this team after they got Price? Taking off in 1st place and never looking back, I don't think you really understand how much a dominate Pitcher can change your team.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

If injuries dont strike hard there is a good chance the Jays will see the post season...they won again today over the mets..3-1...Tulo took a pitch on his hand..not broken but will be out for a bit....and I dont know how you keep Sanchez out of the starting rotation.. Toronto's Aaron Sanchez, bidding to be the fifth starter, scattered four hits in 6 1-3 shutout innings. He has given up three earned runs in 19 2/3 innings and five appearances.

I've been fighting for this ever since he returned from injury last year, Sanchez is a starter and deserves it, it's actually a joke how he is being managed in Toronto. They still keep saying they believe Floyd is the front runner, because they like that Sanchez/Osuna mix, I think it's ridiculous they would do that to him. I watched a video on Sportsnet yesterday with Buck talking with Tim and Sid. I was going to post it but didn't, but I will and I know you're a Jays fan and you want to see this team win now. I strongly suggest watching it, because Buck speaks his mind on the matter and it's the answer we are all thinking.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/shows/tim-and-sid-show/jays-team-can-win-2-3-world-series-buck-martinez-ts/?row=4&row_id=1617293

Buck nails it here in this interview and even his input on Floyd, and Buck KNOWS HIS BASEBALL

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well if you not willing to pay up to get a #1 pitcher, then yes you do need 2 or 3 of the top relievers in the game to back up your pitchers, the bats aren't always going to do it. Looking good in pre season is one thing, showing consistency in the MLB season is another thing, and all of those players haven't shown that, they're just cheaper options hoping to pan out. Osuna out pitched all of them last year.

It's disappointing to watch an Ace like Price walk without even trying to negotiate, I don't care what team it is.  It's not tough thinking that, it's common sense that they both can't be here, it would only be breaking the bank on 2 players, which isn't breaking the bank when your trying to win a WORLD SERIES.

Not here to write the season off, here to see this team succeed to the best of it's abilities to win a World Series Now, not just compete for the playoffs.

Do you not remember the Jays season last year? Where was this team before getting Price? Still fighting for the playoffs.
Where was this team after they got Price? Taking off in 1st place and never looking back, I don't think you really understand how much a dominate Pitcher can change your team.

That's kind of the point I was making. Last year's team came within a couple of games of being in the WS and I believe that this year's opening day lineup is superior. There will be deals to be made at the deadline that could push the team over the top once again. Deals that won't handcuff the team a few years down the road.

Personally, I'd like to see the team contend for the championship this year and for years to come rather than going all-in on one season and then sinking back into mediocrity. I'll reiterate: I think that Price contract would have crippled the Jays in a few years. The Red Sox have the kind of money that will allow them to carry millions of extra dollars on the payroll for players who aren't earning it. The Jays do not. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's kind of the point I was making. Last year's team came within a couple of games of being in the WS and I believe that this year's opening day lineup is superior. There will be deals to be made at the deadline that could push the team over the top once again. Deals that won't handcuff the team a few years down the road.

Personally, I'd like to see the team contend for the championship this year and for years to come rather than going all-in on one season and then sinking back into mediocrity. I'll reiterate: I think that Price contract would have crippled the Jays in a few years. The Red Sox have the kind of money that will allow them to carry millions of extra dollars on the payroll for players who aren't earning it. The Jays do not. 

I just wonder if they have the right GM to pull off the trade deadline moves this year. 

Do you guys agree with ESPNs assesment as to who is the top 10 players for the coming season...they have Trout at #1 ..Harper at #2 and Kershaw at #3...Donaldson is down the list at #7...I think the reigning MVP should be ranked higher...I would put Donaldson in the top 3 for sure.....but being and American network its understandable...he is good but Goldshmidt   ahead of Donaldson...come on...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/page/2016BBTN100_10-1/players-ranked-10-1

Edited by ShakyWalton

For those talking about where the Jays were last year, prior to the trade deadline. The only reason AA made all those big moves was because his job was on the line. Think it's safe to say we won't be see those kind of trades under Sharpio and Atkins no matter where Jays are in standings this year.

I've never really been a big baseball fan, I played as a kid, but never fancied spending half a day watching a game. But with the Canucks not going anywhere soon I figured I would give it another shot this year since the Blue Jays are supposed to be good and it looks like it's going to be a long offseason for the team.

Who are some players that I should watch out for during this season?

1 hour ago, MedicineHatCanuck said:

I've never really been a big baseball fan, I played as a kid, but never fancied spending half a day watching a game. But with the Canucks not going anywhere soon I figured I would give it another shot this year since the Blue Jays are supposed to be good and it looks like it's going to be a long offseason for the team.

Who are some players that I should watch out for during this season?

You picked a good time to get back into it! This team is built for offence so they should be very entertaining. Pay attention to Donaldson, Tulowitzki, Bautista and Encarnacion. Enjoy the games ;)!

17 hours ago, the last outlaw said:

For those talking about where the Jays were last year, prior to the trade deadline. The only reason AA made all those big moves was because his job was on the line. Think it's safe to say we won't be see those kind of trades under Sharpio and Atkins no matter where Jays are in standings this year.

I don't know....

There aren't as many pending UFA's that will draw big interest this season, but if, for example, the Nats were out of it and decided it was time to move Strasbourg, I bet the Jays would at the very least, kick the tires.