The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

7 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know....

There aren't as many pending UFA's that will draw big interest this season, but if, for example, the Nats were out of it and decided it was time to move Strasbourg, I bet the Jays would at the very least, kick the tires.

Strasburg could be a huge pickup for the jays if he's healthy. His stuff is absolutely electric, can't think of the last time the jays had a pitcher with stuff like that WADR to guys like Price or Doc. I don't have any issue with selling off what's left for prospects...the way I see it you've already spent so much that what's left isn't gonna help you much anyway, why not go all in to put your team over the top? You can sell off some of these pieces in a year or two to replenish the cupboard a bit.

It would be nice to see Travis back and on 2nd soon..... Blue Jays: 1B/DH Edwin Encarnacion (strained oblique) took on-field batting practice without any visible limitations and is scheduled to play in a minor league game Monday. . 2B Devon Travis (left shoulder) took a significant step in his rehabilitation program, playing catch, fielding grounders and hitting off a tee during pregame warmups. Travis had been shut down from all baseball activities since having screws placed in the shoulder during a November procedure to stabilize a non-fused bone.

9 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Strasburg could be a huge pickup for the jays if he's healthy. His stuff is absolutely electric, can't think of the last time the jays had a pitcher with stuff like that WADR to guys like Price or Doc. I don't have any issue with selling off what's left for prospects...the way I see it you've already spent so much that what's left isn't gonna help you much anyway, why not go all in to put your team over the top? You can sell off some of these pieces in a year or two to replenish the cupboard a bit.

Strasbourg is gonna cost upwards of 250 million, I doubt the jays shell out that money. Of course pending on this season.

Edited by ReggieBush

8 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Sanchez named 5th starter. Thank God.

It would have been hard not to...3 runs over 20 innings is pretty damn good..Floyd to the pen with Chavez and Hutch has been optioned to Buffalo....now they need to trim their outfielders...Saunders will start in left...I think Ceciliani makes the team...they seem high on him.

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

It would have been hard not to...3 runs over 20 innings is pretty damn good..Floyd to the pen with Chavez and Hutch has been optioned to Buffalo....now they need to trim their outfielders...Saunders will start in left...I think Ceciliani makes the team...they seem high on him.

Floyd is a good arm and in the pen might be better for him with the back to back season elbow issues and not pitching very many innings for the last 3 years. He or Chavez could make some spot starts to keep Sanchez's innings down as well. However Sanchez earned this spot much like I feel Ceciliani has the 4th outfielder. Ceciliani has been on fire this spring and it helps he is a left bat and is competent in the outfield. I'm still rooting for Venditte in the pen the switch pitcher is pretty entertaining.

• Upvote 2

On 3/26/2016 at 11:41 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know....

There aren't as many pending UFA's that will draw big interest this season, but if, for example, the Nats were out of it and decided it was time to move Strasbourg, I bet the Jays would at the very least, kick the tires.

Sharpio was pretty open and clear he wasn't a fan of AA giving up the amount of pieces from the farm he did at trade deadline. The farm's cupboards are bare.That's why i'm saying don't expect those kind of moves under Sharpio. If anything, he might be deal away one or both of JB and EE  to re-stock the farm, prior to the deadline or possibly sooner depending how the season starts off. It's obvious he has no intention in keeping either of them, as I have stated will make a low ball opens to both knowing they won't accept and for PR to tell the fans he tried to re-sign them. I can't see him not moving them to get some assets back, as opposed to letting them at both walk at season's end for nothing.

Edited by the last outlaw

I really don't understand this one.

DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP) The Toronto Blue Jays have claimed catcher/first baseman Jesus Montero off waivers from the Seattle Mariners.

The Blue Jays made the move Monday. Catcher A.J. Jimenez was designated for assignment.

The 26-year-old Montero hit .223 with five home runs and 19 RBIs in 38 games for Seattle last season. Once a top prospect in the majors with the Yankees, he is a career .253 hitter with 28 homers and 104 RBIs since making his major league debut with New York in 2011.

The Blue Jays are already well stocked at first base and DH with Edwin Encarnacion, Chris Colabello, and Justin Smoak

And catchers Martin and Thole.

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP) The Toronto Blue Jays have claimed catcher/first baseman Jesus Montero off waivers from the Seattle Mariners.

The Blue Jays made the move Monday. Catcher A.J. Jimenez was designated for assignment.

The 26-year-old Montero hit .223 with five home runs and 19 RBIs in 38 games for Seattle last season. Once a top prospect in the majors with the Yankees, he is a career .253 hitter with 28 homers and 104 RBIs since making his major league debut with New York in 2011.

The Blue Jays are already well stocked at first base and DH with Edwin Encarnacion, Chris Colabello, and Justin Smoak

I could do without Thole...

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Replacement for A.J. Jimenez, who should get the boot after hitting Hutchinson with that awful attempt of throw.

Seriously. Like Wild Sean said get rid of Thole. Waste of money and position spot for Dickey's personal catcher. The guy can't hit.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I could do without Thole...

There's a huge drop off after Martin and it's something that should concern the Jays.

Thole is there pretty much to exclusively catch Dickey, but he and the other backup options can't carry Russell's jock, offensively or defensively. I believe that losing Navarro was a big blow to the team and not being able to find a more capable backup could be a problem going forward, especially if Martin is injured.

If I were Atkins, I'd be on the lookout for a veteran backstop.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

There's a huge drop off after Martin and it's something that should concern the Jays.

Thole is there pretty much to exclusively catch Dickey, but he and the other backup options can't carry Russell's jock, offensively or defensively. I believe that losing Navarro was a big blow to the team and not being able to find a more capable backup could be a problem going forward, especially if Martin is injured.

If I were Atkins, I'd be on the lookout for a veteran backstop.

Let bygones be bygones, but if the dickey trade never happened we'd have d'Arnaud and never have to deal with Thole :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Let bygones be bygones, but if the dickey trade never happened we'd have d'Arnaud and never have to deal with Thole :rolleyes:

Forget d'Arnaud, the Jays would still have Thor.

Imagine a 1-2 punch of Syndergaard and Stroman.

Just now, shiznak said:

Forget d'Arnaud, the Jays would still have Thor.

Imagine a 1-2 punch of Syndergaard and Stroman.

Exactly. Throw in Sanchez and the rotation looks awesome going forward.

Dickey seems like a heck of a nice guy but it bothers me to watch him. And the idea of trading two elite prospects for a 38 year old coming off his first great full season who throws only one pitch while not even he really knows what it'll do is ridiculous. He's got the worst dad bod in the game. I'd like him as an end of the rotation starter if he came at a cheaper price but I can't forget about that trade.