The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 hours ago, the last outlaw said:

Replacement for A.J. Jimenez, who should get the boot after hitting Hutchinson with that awful attempt of throw.

Seriously. Like Wild Sean said get rid of Thole. Waste of money and position spot for Dickey's personal catcher. The guy can't hit.

So where is Max Pentacost in all this..ranked as the 9th best catching prospect in baseball...shoulder surgery made him miss the 2015 season...havent even heard his name this spring..by all rights he should be backing up Martin if he was healthy.

6 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

So where is Max Pentacost in all this..ranked as the 9th best catching prospect in baseball...shoulder surgery made him miss the 2015 season...havent even heard his name this spring..by all rights he should be backing up Martin if he was healthy.

He looks like a good prospect but there's no way he's back up Martin after missing all of last year and never playing higher than A unless he blew the roof off of major league spring training, and even then they'd probably give him more seasoning in the minors. 

I would've taken Salty or Pierzynski over Thole though Pier's contract may have been too rich for managements liking. I see John Jaso is still available...can't say I know a lot about him but I've always thought he looked decent playing against the Jays. Better than Thole at least. Jaso has even spent time hitting lead off.

27 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

He looks like a good prospect but there's no way he's back up Martin after missing all of last year and never playing higher than A unless he blew the roof off of major league spring training, and even then they'd probably give him more seasoning in the minors. 

I would've taken Salty or Pierzynski over Thole though Pier's contract may have been too rich for managements liking. I see John Jaso is still available...can't say I know a lot about him but I've always thought he looked decent playing against the Jays. Better than Thole at least. Jaso has even spent time hitting lead off.

never was a Thole fan..wasted spot.....I know Pentacost isnt ready..but all things being equal if he didnt miss last year he would have been a good option..he is 23  now.. 

I dont even know if he is at spring training?

Edited by ShakyWalton

11 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

never was a Thole fan..wasted spot.....I know Pentacost isnt ready..but all things being equal if he didnt miss last year he would have been a good option..he is 23  now.. 

I dont even know if he is at spring training?

23 is getting old for a prospect in hockey but that's still young in baseball. Lots of guys don't make it on s full time basis til their mid 20's, and plenty of guys don't really hit their stride til their later 20's. Donaldson, JB, and EE are examples of that.

How is Montero defensively? Can he catch a knuckleball? I don't think front office wants Martin to catch for Dickey. Martin had a couple nagging thumb issues last year due to taking some of Dickeys pitches of the thumb. I think they'd just rather have somebody else catch for Dickey and right now as sad as it is to say Thole is the best option. Pentecost missed pretty much all of last year with two shoulder surgeries I don't think he's ready for the big show just yet.

32 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

How is Montero defensively? Can he catch a knuckleball? I don't think front office wants Martin to catch for Dickey. Martin had a couple nagging thumb issues last year due to taking some of Dickeys pitches of the thumb. I think they'd just rather have somebody else catch for Dickey and right now as sad as it is to say Thole is the best option. Pentecost missed pretty much all of last year with two shoulder surgeries I don't think he's ready for the big show just yet.

Agreed...what I am saying is if he didnt miss last year he would have been an option...but losing a year puts you behind bigtime...to be honest I dont even think he is at spring training.

19 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

Agreed...what I am saying is if he didnt miss last year he would have been an option...but losing a year puts you behind bigtime...to be honest I dont even think he is at spring training.

I think you're right he'd definitely be considered hopefully this is the last of his injury history and he can get his development back on track.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think you're right he'd definitely be considered hopefully this is the last of his injury history and he can get his development back on track.

He is only a year younger than d"Arnaud..

Dont remember much about him when he played for the Van Canadians.

Edited by ShakyWalton

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I've been reading up on Montero a bit, because I'm surprised that more hasn't been mentioned about him being a catcher. (only 1B and DH)

Apparently he struggles defensively, especially with throwing out baserunners. However, despite not being able to put it together as a professional, was considered to be a "can't miss" hitting prospect.

Unfortunately, in addition to his defensive issues, Montero has displayed attitude problems in the past, once showing up for Spring Training 40 lbs overweight. (He's a big boy. His actual weight that spring was 270 lbs) He has also served a 50 game suspension for PEDs.

A few interesting ties to the Jays as well. As a September call-up for the Yankees in 2011, Montero got his first major league hit. It came at Yankee stadium against the visiting Toronto Blue Jays.

In Spring Training of that same year, Yankee coaches felt that Montero was ready to become the starting catcher, allowing Jorge Posada to be moved to DH. Instead, the Yankees went with newly signed Russell Martin as their everyday catcher. An injury to Francisco Cervelli allowed Montero to be Martin's backup, but he performed poorly and was sent to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to get regular playing time. 

Montero was traded after the 2012 season to Seattle. At the time, Yankees GM Brian Cashman said "he may well be the best player I've ever traded".

Sounds like the Jays have a bit of a reclamation project on their hands, but if he can rediscover the form that made him a highly touted hitting prospect, the Jays may be able to live with some defensive deficiencies.

• Upvote 1

Seen quite a bit of montero both with NY and Seattle. Saying he has below average fielding ability is an understatement. The guy has shown the ability to drive the ball to all fields with power, which for any team would be intriguing. He went to the Mariners and was regarded by mariner fans/management  as the next big thing. M's gave up Pineda who was an allstar/Roy. High expectations, never came through. It will be interesting to see if he can reclaim his batting form in a pretty batter friendly park. As well as a batter friendly division in terms of parks.

Osuna named closer this morning...so they are basically going with last years guys Sanchez and Osuna  as opposed to Floyd and Storen....Estrada will start the season on the DL..so Floyd could get some starting action if it goes longer than April 10th.

Kawasaki is becoming a fan favorite in Chicago, wish we could of kept him!

Former Toronto Blue Jays infielder Munenori Kawasaki has re-signed with the Chicago Cubs after being released by the team earlier on Tuesday, according to reports.

Kawasaki, who signed a minor-league deal with the Cubs in January, was placed on release waivers by the Cubs Tuesday morning. Teams are required to pay players signed to minor-league deals a $100,000 retention bonus if they are not placed on the major-league roster or released five days before the start of the season.

The Toronto Blue Jays fan favourite had a productive spring with the Cubs, hitting .395/.489/.553 with six doubles, five RBI, one stolen base, seven walks and four strikeouts in 46 plate appearances. Kawasaki, who was competing for a backup infielder spot, earned the praise of manager Joe Maddon for his play and personality this spring.

“He’s done a really nice job,” Maddon told ESPN. “When he was in Toronto, everyone looks at him as being this fun guy that does crazy things. This guy is a good baseball player. He plays the game well and is a great teammate. He is a lot of fun. The other stuff that he does is really pertinent. He’s a very much viable option.”

Kawasaki, 34, appeared in 23 games with the Blue Jays in 2015, hitting .214 with six hits and two RBI while providing good defence off the bench.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/chicago-cubs-release-former-blue-jay-kawasaki/

He also hit a 3 run home run yesterday and before, the fans were already chanting his name in the stands.

I had to change my IP address to watch this video not sure if it will work for others, but this is the game highlights from yesterday for the Cubs. If you start the video at 1:10 you can hear the fans chanting Kawasaki and see his home run.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

Osuna named closer this morning...so they are basically going with last years guys Sanchez and Osuna  as opposed to Floyd and Storen....Estrada will start the season on the DL..so Floyd could get some starting action if it goes longer than April 10th.

Storen may take the job from Osuna it all depends on how they pitch, Osuna put up good numbers last year it's hard not to give him the start there, but it's his to lose. Sanchez is #5....

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Storen may take the job from Osuna it all depends on how they pitch, Osuna put up good numbers last year it's hard not to give him the start there, but it's his to lose. Sanchez is #5....

yes,, thats what I mean..Sanchez is 5 ...that puts Floyd in the pen to start the year...but with Estrada on the DL..he may get a start early.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It should be Osuna. I just don't see him faltering much this season. Storen's a very nice piece to have though. 

14 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

yes,, thats what I mean..Sanchez is 5 ...that puts Floyd in the pen to start the year...but with Estrada on the DL..he may get a start early.

He may, but what I saw is, they're going to just go with 4 to start. 

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/biagini-carrera-make-blue-jays-25-man-roster-takes-shape/

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

It should be Osuna. I just don't see him faltering much this season. Storen's a very nice piece to have though. 

The only thing that worries me with Osuna and I think others can relate to this, he has a flat fastball. And when the other team connects they connect, saw a lot of deep balls hit off him last year.