The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

20 hours ago, Mj2345 said:

Feel good about tomorrow as Manoah gets the Start looking to sweep NYY

I should feel good about today's game.....the Jays have their best starter going....against a team (and in a park) he always seems to do well in....but...

...the Yankees have Nestor Cortes who's had a good season so far and although the Jays are loaded with right-handed bats, their numbers are actually slightly worse against lefties....

The other factor is the Jays' penchant for not being able to close the deal on a sweep. (I think they've only done it once so far this season)

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help feeling that some how, the other shoe is going to drop....:unsure:

• Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Yankees are trash. Do they have a bunch of injuries or is this the team they pay 250m for? Judge looks good even when not hitting, Nobody else gives me that vibe from them lol

Two big ones in Giancarlo Stanton and Matt Carpenter (who was hitting .305, with 15 HRs, 37 RBI and an OPS of 1.138 in 47 games with the Yankees).....add to that the fact that both Aaron Hicks and Marwin Gonzalez have had lousy seasons, it means the only outfielder they can count on is Aaron Judge. The acquisition on Andrew Benintendi has helped, but I'm betting that the Yanks would have preferred to use that capital on pitching...

To make things worse, Aroldis Chapman has been anything but dominant...only 9 saves, an ERA pushing 5.00, WHIP of close to 1.5 and a K/BB ratio of 35/22....

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Two big ones in Giancarlo Stanton and Matt Carpenter (who was hitting .305, with 15 HRs, 37 RBI and an OPS of 1.138 in 47 games with the Yankees).....add to that the fact that both Aaron Hicks and Marwin Gonzalez have had lousy seasons, it means the only outfielder they can count on is Aaron Judge. The acquisition on Andrew Benintendi has helped, but I'm betting that the Yanks would have preferred to use that capital on pitching...

To make things worse, Aroldis Chapman has been anything but dominant...only 9 saves, an ERA pushing 5.00, WHIP of close to 1.5 and a K/BB ratio of 35/22....

For once it seems like the Yankee fans had a point when wanting to add Soto ect. They truely need top end talent lol

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Gerrit Cole looks like he's still salty about yesterday's loss....

Meanwhile, Manoah is having trouble locating pitches....

Cole is grateful that his team stopped him.

Running out to challenge Manoah is a foolish thing to do.

Just now, gurn said:

Cole is grateful that his team stopped him.

Running out to challenge Manoah is a foolish thing to do.

That's baseball....if there was such a thing as a 1 on 1 scrap, we'd see a lot more Nolan Ryan - Robin Ventura incidents and probably a lot less paper tigers like Cole....

• Vintage 1

I love what Adam Cimber has done since he came to the Blue Jays, but I have to wonder at the thought process there....

You throw a slider on the inner half and the batter hits it a mile, but foul.....so you come back with the same pitch? :huh:

Edited by RUPERTKBD

51 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I love what Adam Cimber has done since he came to the Blue Jays, but I have to wonder at the thought process there....

You throw a slider on the inner half and the batter hits it a mile, but foul.....so you come back with the same pitch? :huh:

I can’t pretend to know the plan of attack between Cimber and his catchers but doubling up can work in a reverse psychology kind of way. If I was the hitter I’d probably be thinking “I hit that thing a mile, they must be going with something different on this next one”.

21 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I can’t pretend to know the plan of attack between Cimber and his catchers but doubling up can work in a reverse psychology kind of way. If I was the hitter I’d probably be thinking “I hit that thing a mile, they must be going with something different on this next one”.

That could very well be....however, the distance Benintendi sent that foul ball suggests that it was right in his wheelhouse....If you're going to throw back to back sliders after the first one got destroyed, you need to change the location at the very least.

That being said, I was always taught that when a batter turns around a pitch like that, you move onto something else on the next pitch.

If Cimber and Kirk were truly trying to outsmart Benintendi there, they ended up outsmarting themselves....

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That could very well be....however, the distance Benintendi sent that foul ball suggests that it was right in his wheelhouse....If you're going to throw back to back sliders after the first one got destroyed, you need to change the location at the very least.

That being said, I was always taught that when a batter turns around a pitch like that, you move onto something else on the next pitch.

If Cimber and Kirk were truly trying to outsmart Benintendi there, they ended up outsmarting themselves....

I think it’s fine to double up on pitch selection and location in the right situation, which doesn’t appear to be the case here. Can’t say I was watching the game myself. If Cimber was trying to double up on the pitch after the huge foul ball he should’ve been careful to get it a little lower, a little more outside, etc. 

6 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think it’s fine to double up on pitch selection and location in the right situation, which doesn’t appear to be the case here. Can’t say I was watching the game myself. If Cimber was trying to double up on the pitch after the huge foul ball he should’ve been careful to get it a little lower, a little more outside, etc. 

The Sportsnet panel discussed that after the game, and they figure it was a case of Cimber missing his spot (badly) that we was trying to throw it further away and missed.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-pitcher-has-blunt-message-for-gerrit-cole/ar-AA10WDwD?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4e5dd847706c41ef9b36a21105353309#comments

'It’s not uncommon for games between division rivals to get a little bit heated, and that’s certainly what happened during Sunday afternoon’s game between the Toronto Blue Jays and the New York Yankees after a pitch from Alek Manoah hit Aaron Judge

AA10WDwB.img?w=534&h=297&m=6&x=442&y=91&

In the fifth inning of Sunday’s game, a sinker from Manoah hit Judge on the shoulder – the same spot where Manoah nearly hit judge earlier in the game. Judge was visibly upset and had a few choice words for Manoah after the pitch, but Manoah insists that the pitch was not intentional.

“Been struggling with my sinker for about five, six starts now,” Manoah explained after the game, according to ESPN. “I made a pitch and it obviously hit Judge. I looked at him, said, ‘Man, you know, I’m not trying to do that.'”

It was not Judge, however, who escalated the situation. Yankees starting pitcher Gerrit Cole came out of the dugout followed by several teammates during the tense exchange between Manoah and Judge, and Manoah clearly did not appreciate it.

Manoah was able to diffuse the situation with Judge, but he had some blunt and harsh words for Cole after the game.

“I think if Gerrit wants to do something, he can walk past the Audi sign next time,” Manoah said, referring to the logo sprayed on the grass by the visiting team dugout.

This confrontation adds a little bit of fire to an already strong divisional rivalry.

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-pitcher-has-blunt-message-for-gerrit-cole/ar-AA10WDwD?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4e5dd847706c41ef9b36a21105353309#comments

'It’s not uncommon for games between division rivals to get a little bit heated, and that’s certainly what happened during Sunday afternoon’s game between the Toronto Blue Jays and the New York Yankees after a pitch from Alek Manoah hit Aaron Judge

AA10WDwB.img?w=534&h=297&m=6&x=442&y=91&

In the fifth inning of Sunday’s game, a sinker from Manoah hit Judge on the shoulder – the same spot where Manoah nearly hit judge earlier in the game. Judge was visibly upset and had a few choice words for Manoah after the pitch, but Manoah insists that the pitch was not intentional.

“Been struggling with my sinker for about five, six starts now,” Manoah explained after the game, according to ESPN. “I made a pitch and it obviously hit Judge. I looked at him, said, ‘Man, you know, I’m not trying to do that.'”

It was not Judge, however, who escalated the situation. Yankees starting pitcher Gerrit Cole came out of the dugout followed by several teammates during the tense exchange between Manoah and Judge, and Manoah clearly did not appreciate it.

Manoah was able to diffuse the situation with Judge, but he had some blunt and harsh words for Cole after the game.

“I think if Gerrit wants to do something, he can walk past the Audi sign next time,” Manoah said, referring to the logo sprayed on the grass by the visiting team dugout.

This confrontation adds a little bit of fire to an already strong divisional rivalry.

Love Alek, You can tell he's a s$%# talker though. Pretty sure he was yapping at the Baltimore saying they wouldn't homer off him. After he allowed those two shot back to back Baltimore bench was really pointing and laughing while making the pay up sign lol. Still love to see this sort of attitude in this pathetic era we live in lol

22 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Love Alek, You can tell he's a s$%# talker though. Pretty sure he was yapping at the Baltimore saying they wouldn't homer off him. After he allowed those two shot back to back Baltimore bench was really pointing and laughing while making the pay up sign lol. Still love to see this sort of attitude in this pathetic era we live in lol

He just doesn't back down from anyone....

In the series against the Red Sox, he got a bit carried away after striking out the first guy. (Yolmer Sanchez, I think?) Sanchez handled it properly, giving Alek a little smirk that said "wait until next time"....

Then Manoah got Bobby Dalbec and you didn't need to be an expert lip reader to translate that conversation.....

Dalbec: "Why don't you STFU, bi**h!"

Manoah: "Why don't you sit down, bi***h!"

• Cheers 1