The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-blue-jays-kevin-kiermaier-in-agreement-1.1891419

The Toronto Blue Jays are in agreement with veteran free agent centre fielder Kevin Kiermaier on a contract, pending a physical, according to multiple sources.

The 32-year-old left-handed hitter has spent his entire 10-year career with the Tampa Bay Rays, but only played in 63 games last season after undergoing hip surgery in July. 

Kiermaier hit .228 with seven home runs and 22 RBIs in 2022. 

The native of Fort Wayne, Indiana is a three-time Gold Glove winner and has a career average of .248 with 82 homers and 316 RBIs over 914 career games.-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Springer moving to Right Field.

Seems like a move that will help the team---- a little bit.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Now fix the pitching.  Really have no faith in this management group and want them replaced with guys who care about winning.

Yeah the Jays ain't winning squat with this mediocre management group. They still have no idea how to build a playoff caliber bullpen thus far. For the rotation it sure looks like they are hoping for a Berrios turnaround but status quo here isn't good enough if you want to contend. 

• Upvote 1

The Jays have signed a pitcher: Cris Bassitt, 3 years, $63 million

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/blue-jays-pitcher-chris-bassitt-in-agreement-on-three-year-63m-contract/

Solid ERA of 3.42 last season, 15 wins in 30 starts. (Meaning he's durable) WHIP of 1.27, although for his career, it's .99. His strikeout to walk ratio looks pretty good as well, better than 4-1.....

I'm not sure if the Jays are done looking at outfielders, or if KK was the guy, but I'd still like to see a lefty with some power inserted into the lineup. Maybe they can look at moving a catcher for a DH/1B?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

'm not sure if the Jays are done looking at outfielders, or if KK was the guy, but I'd still like to see a lefty with some power inserted into the lineup. Maybe they can look at moving a catcher for a DH/1B?

There’s some rumours kicking around that the Jays might be looking at one of Arizona’s young outfielders. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

There’s some rumours kicking around that the Jays might be looking at one of Arizona’s young outfielders. 

I hope that's true....

I love Kiermayer's defense, but man, his bat is where rallies go to die.....I honestly don't really see him as much of an upgrade over JBJ.....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I hope that's true....

I love Kiermayer's defense, but man, his bat is where rallies go to die.....I honestly don't really see him as much of an upgrade over JBJ.....

Yeah, ideally he’s more of a 4th outfield/platoon guy. I like what he brings defensively. It would be nice if he stole more bags but he’s got good speed and he’s a good base runner nonetheless. If they could bring in a guy who’s more of an everyday player they’d be looking much better. 

• Cheers 1

Bassitt is a solid signing, no complaints here. If Berrios can come even close to his career numbers before last season this is a pretty damned good top 4. I would still like the Jays to look at depth options for the 5th starter, not confident in White/Kikuchi and who know if Ryu is ever coming back.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, van_ws said:

Bassitt is a solid signing, no complaints here. If Berrios can come even close to his career numbers before last season this is a pretty damned good top 4. I would still like the Jays to look at depth options for the 5th starter, not confident in White/Kikuchi and who know if Ryu is ever coming back.

It would be nice to have.  Kikuchi really didn't finish a whole lot worse than he was in Seattle, and White sure as hell wasn't the solution.  I'd like an upgrade at 5, but we really need a guy or two in the pen who can throw smoke.

• Cheers 1

Gotta start talking extension with Bo and Vladdy with how these teams are just throwing money at these players. Unfortunately, I don’t  see either Bo or Vladdy sticking with the Jays when they hit FA in 2026.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

Only last year I started watching MLB, so I might be unaware or out of the loop on something, but can anyone tell me what was the reason the Jays didn’t re-sign Ross Stripling? He was lights out last year and his cost didn’t seem to be that much given what the Giants signed him for. He basically single-handedly dragged the team into the post season. I don’t know why they wouldn’t want to keep him.

5 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Only last year I started watching MLB, so I might be unaware or out of the loop on something, but can anyone tell me what was the reason the Jays didn’t re-sign Ross Stripling? He was lights out last year and his cost didn’t seem to be that much given what the Giants signed him for. He basically single-handedly dragged the team into the post season. I don’t know why they wouldn’t want to keep him.

A lot of people are wondering about that. It's only a guess, but it could be that Stripling told the Jays he wanted to move on.

He played for the Dodgers before coming to Toronto. Maybe he wanted to return to the Golden State...:unsure:

• Cheers 1

Buck might be back- but Tabby won't:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/buck-martinez-likely-back-on-blue-jays-broadcasts-but-irked-by-pat-tabler-s-departure/ar-AA15kKJ6?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=2dfe22cd98d14dd1874c03e1ae07cd2f

He may not agree with a major shuffle in the lineup of his broadcast crew, but Buck Martinez sure sounds like he’s returning to the Blue Jays airwaves in 2023.

Speaking on the Bob McCown podcast on Thursday, the veteran announcer all but confirmed he’ll be back on the air at Rogers Sportsnet for at least a portion of the Jays 162-game schedule.

“We’re getting close,” Martinez told hosts Bob McCown and John Shannon. “I feel great. I’m down to my playing weight.”

That’s not to say it has been a topsy-turvy off-season for Martinez, who missed much of last season while getting cancer treatment.

Specifically, the former catcher and manager said he was stunned when Rogers jettisoned one of his long-time on-air partners, Pat Tabler.

“(Tabler) was blindsided by this as I was,” Martinez said on the latest episode of the popular podcast. “We didn’t see it coming. We were both at the end of a contract and his wasn’t picked up.

“It’s very, very sad. It kind of reflects the world today where experience isn’t valued and consistency isn’t valued and loyalty isn’t valued. It was a sad call when I heard that Pat had not been renewed for next year.

“Pat may have been the best partner I’ve ever had. Worked hard. Prepared. Humble. Wanted to bring the best to the broadcast every night.”

Assuming his contract will be renewed — and it sure sounds like that will be the case — Martinez will be back alongside play-by-play man Dan Shulman, who will call the majority of the Jays games. Shulman has indicated recently that he plans to call the entire home schedule as well as a significant portion of road contests.

It’s unlikely that Martinez would do anywhere near a full schedule, of course, meaning Rogers has some off-season moves required to finalize before the season. Studio analyst Joe Siddall is seen as the prime candidate to shuffle into the game analyst chair, but indications are that Rogers has yet to settle on the terms of how many games Martinez would work. 

On 12/14/2022 at 10:23 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

A lot of people are wondering about that. It's only a guess, but it could be that Stripling told the Jays he wanted to move on.

He played for the Dodgers before coming to Toronto. Maybe he wanted to return to the Golden State...:unsure:

If he wanted to play elsewhere, then there’s not much they could have done, but I don’t know if that’s actually the case or not. He was lights out playing last year.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/the-blue-jays-have-a-full-40-man-roster-so-something-s-gotta-budge-before-the-chris-bassitt-addition-is-made-official/ar-AA15k1iz?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=ab25de696d3e432eae2443c7b0010ae0

The Toronto Blue Jays made the signing of Kevin Kiermaier to a one-year, $8 million contract official on Thursday morning…

With the addition of Kiermaier, the Blue Jays now have a full 40-man roster. So that means that they’ll need to remove somebody before officially signing starting pitcher Chris Bassitt, who agreed to a three-year, $63 million deal earlier in the week.

The most simple path forward would simply be designating a fringe roster player for assignment to open a spot on the 40-man. Some of the names who stand out here are Thomas Hatch and Anthony Kay, a pair of pitchers in their mid-20s acquired through trades during the team’s rebuilding years who haven’t been able to establish themselves as effective big-league arms.

But we could also see the Blue Jays make a roster-clearing trade, such as they did back in January of 2021. Shortly after adding George Springer, Marcus Semien, Kirby Yates, and Tyler Chatwood in free agency, the Blue Jays dealt two fringe roster arms, Sean Reid-Foley and Yennsy Diaz, along with prospect Josh Winckowski to the New York Mets for Steven Matz.

The Mets might actually wind up being the trade partner again for the Blue Jays in a roster-clearing move. They’re at 39 players right now and there’s talk that they’re looking to move starting pitcher Carlos Carrasco.

Maybe we’ll see another version of the Matz deal, with two 40-man names and a prospect going to New York and Carrasco, a name that Mark Shapiro and Ross Atkins know from their Cleveland days, coming back to Toronto.

• Upvote 1