The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Jays sign Brandon Belt to a 1 yr deal....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/blue-jays-sign-1b-brandon-belt-to-one-year-9-3m-deal/

TBH, I'm having a bit of a tough time wrapping my head around this one...The Jays are pretty much set at 1B....I suppose BB could be insurance against injury and can be the guy when Vladdy is at DH, or needs a day off....and he adds another lefty to the batting order....but...

9 million per seems like a lot of money for a 34 year-old who hit .213 last season and was limited to 78 games because of injuries...

Belt walks a lot, which is something that the lineup doesn't have in abundance, but again, that seems like a lot of money...

Agree.  I have no problems with him being a depth bat...but that seems awfully expensive for a  depth bat.  I know Gurriel played a bit at first, but they do have Biggio that is fine there.  Makes you wonder if another move is to be made there?  I hope the don't ship Biggio out before we can see how he does when opponents can't shift him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Agree.  I have no problems with him being a depth bat...but that seems awfully expensive for a  depth bat.  I know Gurriel played a bit at first, but they do have Biggio that is fine there.  Makes you wonder if another move is to be made there?  I hope the don't ship Biggio out before we can see how he does when opponents can't shift him.

When they originally decided to implement the "shift" rule, I felt like nobody in baseball would benefit more than Cavan Biggio.....with the possible exception of Joey Gallo....

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Jays sign Brandon Belt to a 1 yr deal....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/blue-jays-sign-1b-brandon-belt-to-one-year-9-3m-deal/

TBH, I'm having a bit of a tough time wrapping my head around this one...The Jays are pretty much set at 1B....I suppose BB could be insurance against injury and can be the guy when Vladdy is at DH, or needs a day off....and he adds another lefty to the batting order....but...

9 million per seems like a lot of money for a 34 year-old who hit .213 last season and was limited to 78 games because of injuries...

Belt walks a lot, which is something that the lineup doesn't have in abundance, but again, that seems like a lot of money...

I think there's an argument to be made for him being a bounceback candidate- he slashed .274/.378/.597 back in 2021 while playing in the pitcher-friendly NL West (aside from Colorado of course). Bringing him to the AL East and its more hitter-friendly parks might see him find some return to form. It's a one year deal, so the risk is minimal. He's got a WS ring and from what I've read from Giants fans and writers, he's a fantastic leader and locker room presence. If I remember correctly he's always been a very good fielder too- with the shift being gone this should be even more important. The Jays have probably the best defensive OF in all of baseball to go with their pretty good IF- Belt helps improve that.

I'm not sure would've been the next move I would've made if I were Shatkins but I like the acquisition myself. 

48 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think there's an argument to be made for him being a bounceback candidate- he slashed .274/.378/.597 back in 2021 while playing in the pitcher-friendly NL West (aside from Colorado of course). Bringing him to the AL East and its more hitter-friendly parks might see him find some return to form. It's a one year deal, so the risk is minimal. He's got a WS ring and from what I've read from Giants fans and writers, he's a fantastic leader and locker room presence. If I remember correctly he's always been a very good fielder too- with the shift being gone this should be even more important. The Jays have probably the best defensive OF in all of baseball to go with their pretty good IF- Belt helps improve that.

I'm not sure would've been the next move I would've made if I were Shatkins but I like the acquisition myself. 

Yeah, I don't hate the move, but i wonder if that 9 million could have been better spent on the bullpen, or a back of the rotation starter....

Hopefully BB does have a bounce back season.

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I don't hate the move, but i wonder if that 9 million could have been better spent on the bullpen, or a back of the rotation starter....

Hopefully BB does have a bounce back season.

After watching the Jays these last couple years I’d never argue against trying to improve the bullpen. 

• Vintage 1

Well they addressed the back of the rotation starter......sort of....a guy who went 3-10 with an ERA north of 5.00 last season with the Pirates....:unsure:

The stats are pretty underwhelming (average 92 MPH fastball) but he's only making $700k.....so there's that.....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Well they addressed the back of the rotation starter......sort of....a guy who went 3-10 with an ERA north of 5.00 last season with the Pirates....:unsure:

The stats are pretty underwhelming (average 92 MPH fastball) but he's only making $700k.....so there's that.....

From what I’ve read Thompson still has minor league options while Fernandez doesn’t. Hopefully Fernandez can end up reassigned to Buffalo. That velocity is tantalizing. 

47 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm thinking they would not have designated Fernandez if his name was Senior Fernandez. #young people getting picked on.  :)

On 1/10/2023 at 9:31 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

When they originally decided to implement the "shift" rule, I felt like nobody in baseball would benefit more than Cavan Biggio.....with the possible exception of Joey Gallo....

He still has to make contact…….:ph34r:.

Pitchers will just throw the high heat at him, knowing he struggles at hitting that pitch.

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

He still has to make contact…….:ph34r:.

Pitchers will just throw the high heat at him, knowing he struggles at hitting that pitch.

True dat. Still, it doesn't hurt to have that lefty bat as an option. Especially if Merrifield and Espy go a bit cold.

The owners are going to have to decide just how much they want to fund the team.

How much luxury tax will they pay?

At he same time- if they sign the right guys, and go on to multiple play off runs, the owners will make a crap ton of money.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

The owners are going to have to decide just how much they want to fund the team.

How much luxury tax will they pay?

At he same time- if they sign the right guys, and go on to multiple play off runs, the owners will make a crap ton of money.

Jays need arms, no?  Maybe they need to spend, but wisely on pitching?  Those ‘92 and ‘93 teams were great in all positions but they had excellent pitching too.  Lots of fans across the whole country would jump on the band wagon if they advanced in the playoffs.  Big revenues. 

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...

Jazz Chisholm was named Cover Athlete for MLB The Show 23…they could have done much better imo..

Sony used to have a Blue Jay as cover athlete for Canada..

Edit: I would have preferred Seattle Mariners Julio Rodriguez 

Edited by Mj2345