The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I thought leaving Gausman in was the right thing to do, despite the three dingers. KG wasn't pitching poorly...the Mariners just made him pay every time he missed his spot with the fastball...

Pulling Kikuchi the day before was a mistake and it pretty much forced Schneider to leave KG in, because he had used so much of the bullpen on Friday.

Bottom line for me: I probably would have done the same as Schneider did with Gausman...Pearson and Garcia didn't do their jobs. You can't plunk the leadoff guy with a three run lead and Garcia had Teo down 0-2 and let him off the hook with a pitch that had way too much of the plate.

I can be as critical of the manager as anyone (and I was after Friday's game) but this one was squarely on the pen, IMO. One could argue that if Schneider had saves some arms on Friday, he might have had Swanson available on Saturday, but Pearson and Garcia are being paid to get those outs....

I didn't think Gausman was bad. My issue is the inconsistency with which Schneider makes decisions. 

21 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I didn't think Gausman was bad. My issue is the inconsistency with which Schneider makes decisions. 

Agreed. Giving Kikuchi the hook when he did was a mistake, IMO. Shizzy criticized it afterward and I agreed wholeheartedly.

It might be that he learned something....or as I mentioned earlier, he decided he had to stick with KG because of the depleted 'pen. I guess the answer to that depends on how charitable one feels.

My guess would be somewhere in the middle. Given their respective stature, Gausman probably gets a longer leash, either way.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I thought leaving Gausman in was the right thing to do, despite the three dingers. KG wasn't pitching poorly...the Mariners just made him pay every time he missed his spot with the fastball...

Pulling Kikuchi the day before was a mistake and it pretty much forced Schneider to leave KG in, because he had used so much of the bullpen on Friday.

Bottom line for me: I probably would have done the same as Schneider did with Gausman...Pearson and Garcia didn't do their jobs. You can't plunk the leadoff guy with a three run lead and Garcia had Teo down 0-2 and let him off the hook with a pitch that had way too much of the plate.

I can be as critical of the manager as anyone (and I was after Friday's game) but this one was squarely on the pen, IMO. One could argue that if Schneider had saves some arms on Friday, he might have had Swanson available on Saturday, but Pearson and Garcia are being paid to get those outs....

Garcia also did a terrible job executing the pitch but who the hell called for an 0-2 change-up? So dumb.

• Cheers 2