The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

In addition to the Jays win, the Rays lost to the Guardians 9-2. In other action, the Yankees blew a 7-1 lead and the Marlins walked them off 8-7 in the bottom of the 9th.

The bad news is, the Red Sox beat the Tigers and although the game is still going, the Mariners got a 9th inning, 2 out solo shot from Dominic Canzone to tie the Orioles 3-3....

Update: The Mariners did their former team a favor and put Trent Thornton in the game. After Santander grounded out, Cedric Mullins hit a 2 run homer. 5-3 Os....

• Upvote 2

Mixed bag on the out of town scoreboard last night.

The bad news is the Orioles and Rays both won their games. The good news is that the Astros and Mariners both lost. The Yankees and Angels were clobbered by the Braves and Rangers respectively and are both pretty much done...

The Red Sox had the night off and remain 3 games back of the Jays, although they gained a half game on the Mariners, who are 2 games back of the 3rd WC spot.

Interesting note: The Mariners came back from being down 5-0 to the Royals, but then lost 7-6 on a Safety Squeeze in the bottom of the 9th. After winning 7 in a row, the M's have now lost 3 in a row....

Also, the Royals' Bobby Witt Jr. hit and inside the park HR, when Seattle outfielder Dominic Canzone lost a line drive in the lights, allowing the ball to go all the way to the wall.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 2:14 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

It could be that I'm just overreacting to the team's recent issues with scvoring runs, but lately I'm wondering if maybe this team just simply isn't as good as everyone thought.

The goal in the offseason was to get better defensively and the team certainly did that....but I'm wondering if maybe having Teo and Gurriel in the lineup wasn't covering up a fundamentally flawed offence?

The overall numbers are decent, but this team just can't seem to string hits together and it almost never delivers in the clutch. Too many of the hitters don't seem to consider what the situation dictates. Instead, they just go up there and react, hoping for a good result, rather than having a plan that fits the situation.

I know there has been a lot of talk about Schneider and Martinez not doing the job, but I doubt there's a coach in A ball that doesn't teach his players to go up there and look for a good pitch to hit.

Maybe these guys just aren't good enough....

Vladdy's issue is between the ears IMO. 

The within-game inconsistency in plate approaches is mind boggling. He can fight for a 8 pitch walk and then the very next AB hit a first-pitch grounder that was outside the zone. I just don't think there ever has been a veteran that taught Vladdy anything in-game. At least I never see guys talking to him about his approach in the dugout. 

• Upvote 1

Schneider gets some crap here so let’s give credit where credit is due. Replacing Bradley Zimmer in a DeJong body suit with Lukes turned a 3 pitch strikeout into a 7 or 8 pitch walk, which helped load the bases later which helped bring in the winning run

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The Jays must have some data on Kikuchi after 80 pitches because they regularly pull him far earlier than what I would have expected. 

11 hours ago, Pears said:

Well whatever it is it’s working tremendously 

https://x.com/bluejays/status/1691634965954363623?s=46&t=KPUmo9JveY_OKmqzIX0jDw

I don't know if this is true with Kikuchi, but a lot of teams have data on their pitchers that suggest a big drop off in effectiveness the third time through the order. As Bounce said, Schneider deserves some credit here. He pushed all the right buttons. I have to admit, I was second guessing the idea of giving Hicks the 8th and then turning it over to Romano for the Save, so soon after coming off the IL....

@Pears when you paste the link to a tweet, click on the "plain text" option at the bottom and it will embed as a tweet.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Not sure if anyone is following the story, but there's a bit of trouble in Tampa. Right after it was confirmed that Shane McClanahan will have Tommy John surgery and miss this (and likely next) season, Wander Franco is under investigation by authorities in the Dominican Republic.

There haven't been a lot of details, but apparently, it's related to a relationship with an underage girl back in the DR. It isn't clear if this happened recently or not, but the girl is alleged to have been 14 at the time she had a relationship with Franco:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2023/08/15/wander-franco-timeline-mlb-investigation-dominican-republic/

Franco is currently on the Rays' Restricted List and didn't accompany the team on their West coast road trip.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't know if this is true with Kikuchi, but a lot of teams have data on their pitchers that suggest a big drop off in effectiveness the third time through the order. As Bounce said, Schneider deserves some credit here. He pushed all the right buttons. I have to admit, I was second guessing the idea of giving Hicks the 8th and then turning it over to Romano for the Save, so soon after coming off the IL....

@Pears when you paste the link to a tweet, click on the "plain text" option at the bottom and it will embed as a tweet.

I liked how Sportsnet showed his full entrance from the bullpen out to the mound. As an Ontario kid who grew up a Jays fan, coming out for your first appearance in a couple weeks to save a one run game while your team's in a playoff race, the music going, lights down- man, Romano must've been some sort of jacked up. You could kinda see it when he let that first fastball go a little too up and in.

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I liked how Sportsnet showed his full entrance from the bullpen out to the mound. As an Ontario kid who grew up a Jays fan, coming out for your first appearance in a couple weeks to save a one run game while your team's in a playoff race, the music going, lights down- man, Romano must've been some sort of jacked up. You could kinda see it when he let that first fastball go a little too up and in.

Yeah, there certainly was no issue with the velocity....and being a bit wild isn't always a bad thing for a guy who throws in the high 90's...

Considering he just got back, I was actually pretty impressed with his control....especially on the slider....

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, there certainly was no issue with the velocity....and being a bit wild isn't always a bad thing for a guy who throws in the high 90's...

Considering he just got back, I was actually pretty impressed with his control....especially on the slider....

Oh yeah, that slider to Harper after the fastballs at 98 and 99 was plain unfair. You could see it live but this video really illustrates it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Blue Jays' Bichette, Green and Richards do well in rehab appearances in Buffalo

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/blue-jays-bichette-green-and-richards-do-well-in-rehab-appearances-in-buffalo/

Bo Bichette is back. Or at least, he's on his way back.

The Toronto Blue Jays' shortstop made an appearance on Wednesday in triple-A Buffalo at DH as part of a rehab recovery, going 2-for-3 with a pair of singles and scored a run.

The 25-year-old grounded out in his first at-bat, but followed that up with a single in his next two before exiting in the sixth inning. He had to run hard when he reached first base in the third inning when third baseman Ernie Clement hit a double that brought him home.

Bichette was placed on the 10-day injured list on Aug. 2 with right patellar tendinitis after tweaking his knee while rounding the bases two days earlier in a game against the Orioles. He's expected to play in a pair of games in Buffalo, with a target return of Friday with the Blue Jays.

Fellow big-leaguers Chad Green and Trevor Richards also saw some game time in Buffalo.

Green, who was supposed make his debut for the Blue Jays last week after a final rehab appearance coming off Tommy John surgery, came on in the fifth and went 1.1 innings, allowing two hits, one run, and struck out three.

The 32-year-old's return was delayed by a concussion he suffered during a previous rehab game for the Bisons on Aug. 8, when catcher Tyler Heineman drilled him in the head while trying to cut down a stolen base attempt.

Richards pitched a fairly clean seventh inning, walking one, striking out one, but allowing no hits or runs. The 30-year-old was placed on the 15-day injured list retroactive to August 2, with neck inflammation.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1