The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Tulo wasn't backtracking. He was under the ball.

And I understand that Pillar gets to make the calls. What I'm wondering about is his decision-making on when he should back off. CF is very deep in NY, he had a long way to run in. Tulo wasn't backing up when he made the catch. He was standing under the ball.

I also have a different interpretation of the video. To me, Goins looks at Tulo, not Pillar, before backing off. In fact, when Goins puts up his right hand, he could be telling Pillar to back off.

If you watch it again, he's clearly backtracking but regardless, that's Pillar's call to make.

I love Tulowitzki and it's an unfortunate injury, but Pillar is not at fault there.

It's just one of those instances where two guys get locked in and unfortunately Tulo didn't yield.

Edited by oldnews

Im aware that CF takes precedent...but I have also seen this guy crowding people all year..Im not hating on him because its the cool thing to do...but does he think he is the only guy on the team that can make a play. The look on Tulos face after he was hit was like WTF?

Now he is out...I just hope he is back for any post season action. I think deep down Gibby was upset as well...he set the next game...first one all year.

You hit the nail right on the head. The guy's just overzealous and goes for everything he can get to, regardless of whether or not a teammate has a better play on it. Think of that brutal throw he made a few games ago when Bautista might have been able to make a play and had momentum. This isn't an isolated incident. I know he's the CF, but he's surrounded by veterans who are good fielders. Gibson should have sent a message earlier.

Im aware that CF takes precedent...but I have also seen this guy crowding people all year..Im not hating on him because its the cool thing to do...but does he think he is the only guy on the team that can make a play. The look on Tulos face after he was hit was like WTF?

Now he is out...I just hope he is back for any post season action. I think deep down Gibby was upset as well...he set the next game...first one all year.

I think you might be reading a bit too much into that. I doubt Gibby would punish KP for doing what a CF is supposed to be doing...

I'd say it was more likely a case of the second game of a back to back double header, immediately after going 0 for 5 in the first game.

Agreed. But DBTR was correct.

While Goins is shifting over to cover short, Pennington is the guy replacing him in the lineup and was the guy who made a sparkling defensive play that allowed the Jays to stay in (and ultimately win) game one.

Pennington played well..no denying..hit a HR..some great plays...but the Jays went out and got former Gold Glover Darwin Barney from the Dodgers so Im sure he will see some action as well.

Pillar had a couple 0 for 5 games - that had as much to do with him sitting as anything.

The other factor was that it was a double header - it's extremely common for a manager to give a regular a rest in that instance, particularly after a collision.

Gibby understands what happened there - sitting Pillar had nothing to do with being upset about that play - anyone who knows the game would not be laying blame on Pillar.

Pennington played well..no denying..hit a HR..some great plays...but the Jays went out and got former Gold Glover Darwin Barney from the Dodgers so Im sure he will see some action as well.

Agreed. Again, they're doing the prudent thing by having a capable replacement sitting on the bench and they'll likely give him some playing time so he won't be rusty if called upon...

...exactly as they did with Pennington a week or so ago....

Pillar had a couple 0 for 5 games - that had as much to do with him sitting as anything.

The other factor was that it was a double header - it's extremely common for a manager to give a regular a rest in that instance, particularly after a collision.

Gibby understands what happened there - sitting Pillar had nothing to do with being upset about that play - anyone who knows the game would not be laying blame on Pillar.

Hmmm....why didn't I think of that? Oh wait.... B)

I think you might be reading a bit too much into that. I doubt Gibby would punish KP for doing what a CF is supposed to be doing...

I'd say it was more likely a case of the second game of a back to back double header, immediately after going 0 for 5 in the first game.

Im sure that had alot to do with it..I said deep down...I just know what I have seen all year..if this was an isolated incident we all would chalk it up as an unfortunate accident..and it is...no matter how you look at it..Pillar didnt do this on purpose. we all know that.

I realize that hating on Pillar is the cool thing to do these days, but after watching the replay several times and from several angles, I don't believe he deserves as much blame for this as you all think.

First of all, as a bunch of guys who claim to know their baseball, I'm sure you're aware that the center fielder (or any outfielder, for that matter) has precedent on that play.

Secondly, after watching, I can't see Tulo calling for that ball. Goins and Pillar both did call for it and you can clearly see Goins bail when he hears KP calling for it.

I don't blame Tulo for trying to make the play. That's what baseball players at that level do. But it was an unlucky, freak accident and blaming Pillar for the injury is just wrong. It wasn't even a particularly hard collision. It just caught Tulo in a bad spot.

Oh, BTW: Now do we all understand why it was important to get Pennington into those other games?

Cmon man

Im sure that had alot to do with it..I said deep down...I just know what I have seen all year..if this was an isolated incident we all would chalk it up as an unfortunate accident..and it is...no matter how you look at it..Pillar didnt do this on purpose. we all know that.

I suppose it's all in how you look at it.

What I see is a guy who has made several fantastic plays in the outfield and a lot of them are because of the way he goes all out on every play. Personally, I prefer that to a guy who plays a "cautious" center field.

The Tulo injury makes me hate Pillar more. Never really liked him. I'd rather have Pompey in cf next year. Package Pillar for some pitching.

Not a good reason to hate a guy, IMO. At worst, Pillar is overzealous. Obviously my opinion is that in this case, him being overzealous helped lead to an injury (but did not cause an injury), but has also helped him make miraculous catches.

The Tulo injury makes me hate Pillar more. Never really liked him. I'd rather have Pompey in cf next year. Package Pillar for some pitching.

I dont hate him but sure isnt my favourite Blue Jay..I said that in this thread way back at the beginning of the season and took flack..he is a human highlight reel for sure its just his manner that gets me.

Pillar is an outstanding defensive centerfielder. Hate the guy for doing his job, but that play was just an unfortunate incident, that, if anyone is to fault, it would be Tulo actually.

• Upvote 1