The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

I also found it hilarious when Shapiro said in today's press conference, that they didn't have the resources to re-sign Price and fill other holes. Which is a total horsesh*t lie, because we all know Rogers is one of the richest owners in baseball. They just didn't want to invest on the team.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Ditto.

And before people call me a bandwagoner, I've been a die-hard fan, since the Delgado era onto the Halladay era. Once, Halladay left, I slowly lost interests with the team, but still would watch them on occasion (became a Cards and Giants fan). When they finally, started to build a winner and made all these insane trades. They slowly gave me hope, that they actually cared. That they would put money into this team and be a powerhouse in the AL for years to come. But all that hope was pissed away, in less than a month. 

Tired of Rogers being cheap wankers, who only cared about putting money in their own pockets.

Hate to be that guy but that is literally bandwagoning, especially when you start cheering for arguably the 2 best teams in baseball the past 10 years lol.

Those 2 teams have won 5 World Series in the last 9 years, and combined have reached the NLCS 9 times out of the past 9 years.

...not one to judge cause I don't know your reasoning but from the looks of it, that's probably why someone would call you a bandwagoner :lol:

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I also found it hilarious when Shapiro said in today's press conference, that they didn't have the resources to re-sign Price and fill other holes. Which is a total horsesh*t lie, because we all know Rogers is one of the richest owners in baseball. They just didn't want to invest on the team.

Rogers is a publicly traded company and answerable to share holders. It doesn't matter how rich they are, they are still in the business of making money. It is quite understandable that they have a budget. What you can and should blame them for is who they hire to run the team and how those guys have mismanaged the budget.

1 hour ago, Toews said:

Rogers is a publicly traded company and answerable to share holders. It doesn't matter how rich they are, they are still in the business of making money. It is quite understandable that they have a budget. What you can and should blame them for is who they hire to run the team and how those guys have mismanaged the budget.

The thing is they would be making money, if they had Price for the full year+. Just look how packed the stadium was from the last quarter of the season, when they acquire him. Bet you, that's the most they'd ever made for the past 15 years or at least since Rogers bought the team. Now think, how much revenues they can bring in throughout an entire season of that. I guarantee you they would be making a profit from a season-fill pack stadium. And we haven't even mentioned merchandise sales, and broadcasting views.

Here is another thing, they owe their own broadcasting rights and the stadium itself, so they're not even paying a second party, unlike other teams are.

Not saying they should raise the budget to 200M+ like the Yankees and Red Sox, but as I mentioned from a earlier post, they could have essentially kept the same team from the playoffs, if they raised their budget to 150M - 155M. Is investing 10M - 15M more really that difficult from a billionaire company?

Edited by shiznak

44 minutes ago, shiznak said:

The thing is they would be making money, if they had Price for the full year+. Just look how packed the stadium was from the last quarter of the season, when they acquire him. Bet you, that's the most they'd ever made for the past 15 years or at least since Rogers bought the team. Now think, how much revenues they can bring in throughout an entire season of that. I guarantee you they would be making a profit from a season-fill pack stadium. And we haven't even mentioned merchandise sales, and broadcasting views.

Here is another thing, they owe their own broadcasting rights and the stadium itself, so they're not even paying a second party, unlike other teams are.

Not saying they should raise the budget to 200M+ like the Yankees and Red Sox, but as I mentioned from a earlier post, they could have essentially kept the same team from the playoffs, if they raised their budget to 150M - 155M. Is investing 10M - 15M more really that difficult from a billionaire company?

Yes it is actually. Because right now you are right they can spend a bit more and make that up with the extra revenue. What happens when the team goes into an inevitable decline and the fans start to stay at home, thousands of tickets going unsold? Can they afford paying an older much worse David Price 30M a season? Sure they have the billions but the reality of being a publicly traded company is that you answer to the shareholders who are in it to make money. If Rogers was a privately owned company they could sacrifice some of the bottom line to try and win but as it stands now, the reality is that profits will have to come first.

Besides I think the Price contract will end being absolutely horrendous in a few years. It is how they decided to spend the money that they had available that is a problem. Shapiro also does nothing to inspire confidence. But all things considered if the team is managed well, there is no reason they cannot win on that budget. Paying Happ 12M though makes you doubt whether that will actually happen.

33 minutes ago, Toews said:

Yes it is actually. Because right now you are right they can spend a bit more and make that up with the extra revenue. What happens when the team goes into an inevitable decline and the fans start to stay at home, thousands of tickets going unsold? Can they afford paying an older much worse David Price 30M a season? Sure they have the billions but the reality of being a publicly traded company is that you answer to the shareholders who are in it to make money. If Rogers was a privately owned company they could sacrifice some of the bottom line to try and win but as it stands now, the reality is that profits will have to come first.

Besides I think the Price contract will end being absolutely horrendous in a few years. It is how they decided to spend the money that they had available that is a problem. Shapiro also does nothing to inspire confidence. But all things considered if the team is managed well, there is no reason they cannot win on that budget. Paying Happ 12M though makes you doubt whether that will actually happen.

That "inevitable decline" won't happen, until at least 5 years max and even if that happens, I'm almost certain they would have generated enough revenues to pay off Price's contract, within that 5 years and still have a profit. Especially, if they make the playoffs each of those 5 years.

I already spoke about committing to Price for 7 years. He could decline, but even if he does, he'll still be a decent number two guy, in the rotation. I would also figure, there would be some sort of club option during those final years of his contract, where they can opt out.

Edited by shiznak

5 hours ago, Toews said:

What happens to their core products and services when their name is associated with destroying a contending baseball team?  Horizontally integrated businesses don't operate in a vacuum.  Negative publicity is very expensive especially when competitors can offer the same services at the same price.  They could easily save some money by cutting out the commercials of Messier trying to fire one into McDavid's 5-hole.

Bottom line is fans need to stand up to the criminals at Robbers and hit them straight in the wallet.  Don't reward bad ownership and force them to either pay for a real team or sell to an owner who will.  The real money to be made owning a sports franchise is realized when selling the team anyway, and the course of action the franchise insists on taking is going to devastate that number.

Edited by King Heffy

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What happens to their core products and services when their name is associated with destroying a contending baseball team?  Horizontally integrated businesses don't operate in a vacuum.  Negative publicity is very expensive especially when competitors can offer the same services at the same price.  They could easily save some money by cutting out the commercials of Messier trying to fire one into McDavid's 5-hole.

Bottom line is fans need to stand up to the criminals at Robbers and hit them straight in the wallet.  Don't reward bad ownership and force them to either pay for a real team or sell to an owner who will.  The real money to be made owning a sports franchise is realized when selling the team anyway, and the course of action the franchise insists on taking is going to devastate that number.

Yeah I doubt people will be changing ISPs because Rogers cannot increase the Blue Jays operating budget.

The fans are the reason why the team did not spend more. Let's face it, the fans did not show up until the team started to look like contenders. You can blame Rogers as much as you want but at some point you have to point the finger at yourself. I am sure the fans in Toronto will just claim that they would show up if the team was competitive but that is small market mentality and is the reason why the team cannot spend as much as you want it to. 

Also I am not too big a fan of the Rogers ownership especially considering how they went about their president search last year but it could be much more worse. You could have a crook like Loria.

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

Yeah I doubt people will be changing ISPs because Rogers cannot increase the Blue Jays operating budget.

The fans are the reason why the team did not spend more. Let's face it, the fans did not show up until the team started to look like contenders. You can blame Rogers as much as you want but at some point you have to point the finger at yourself. I am sure the fans in Toronto will just claim that they would show up if the team was competitive but that is small market mentality and is the reason why the team cannot spend as much as you want it to. 

Also I am not too big a fan of the Rogers ownership especially considering how they went about their president search last year but it could be much more worse. You could have a crook like Loria.

Maybe so but good luck growing the brand and attracting new customers as a result of this penny-pinching.  You better believe they own these teams/stadiums as a means of advertising and what they're doing to the Blue Jays is to Canada what the Mark Messier commercials are to Canuck fans.  It alienates a large percentage of potential customers.  Fans would be more foregiving if the team simply wasn't good enough, but what Rogers is doing is inexcusable.  It's going to cost them even more at the gate as they also own the stadium.  Add in the reduced TV ad revenue on their own networks, and reduced resale value due to fan disinterest, and what Robbers is doing is going to prove more costly than in paying the price necessary to fielding a real team.

For the record, as someone who's had services with Robbers, they are a borderline criminal organization so no real upgrade over Loria.

O'Day and Madson are off the FA list.  Com'n Rogers, throw some money at the bullpen at least.  Otherwise this simply isn't a playoff team.  As constructed right now, their pitching won't make it through August, let alone September and October.

Edited by Wilbur

4 minutes ago, TheAce said:

The Price signing will look good for a couple of years but it will be similar to the CC Sabathia signing where the last few years are not worth it at all.

The Red Sox know this...the Red Sox can afford this.

4 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

The fact that the Blue Jays didn't even offer pisses me off... not a good way to start your reign in Toronto, Shapiro. Instead you go and sign Happ...

Yup, that's just bad management. You have to at least try and offer him a contract even though he might not accept it. If he rejects the offer, then it will only look bad on Price's part, considering all those rumours of him wanted to stay.

• Upvote 1