The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

On 12/5/2015, 12:54:02, shiznak said:

Ditto.

And before people call me a bandwagoner, I've been a die-hard fan, since the Delgado era onto the Halladay era. Once, Halladay left, I slowly lost interests with the team, but still would watch them on occasion (became a Cards and Giants fan). When they finally, started to build a winner and made all these insane trades. They slowly gave me hope, that they actually cared. That they would put money into this team and be a powerhouse in the AL for years to come. But all that hope was pissed away, in less than a month. 

Tired of Rogers being cheap wankers, who only cared about putting money in their own pockets.

That long? Wow.

Just to clarify: "Die hard" fans don't wish for their team to fail. Maybe you can tell us again how the Lawrie for Donaldson trade was a bad deal, Mr. Expert.

BTW: For those blaming Rogers for not re-signing Price, both Beeston and Anthopolous have stated many times that ownership has never turned them down when asking for extra money to sign a player that they think the club needs. This move (or lack of a move) was made by the management triumvirate. Personally, I think 31 million is too rich a contract for a guy with zero playoff wins, but that's just me, I suppose. By all means, the rest of you can continue with the hand-wringing and jumping off the bandwagon.

You won't be missed. Especially the two hoping for Jays' failure next season.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That long? Wow.

Just to clarify: "Die hard" fans don't wish for their team to fail. Maybe you can tell us again how the Lawrie for Donaldson trade was a bad deal, Mr. Expert.

BTW: For those blaming Rogers for not re-signing Price, both Beeston and Anthopolous have stated many times that ownership has never turned them down when asking for extra money to sign a player that they think the club needs. This move (or lack of a move) was made by the management triumvirate. Personally, I think 31 million is too rich a contract for a guy with zero playoff wins, but that's just me, I suppose. By all means, the rest of you can continue with the hand-wringing and jumping off the bandwagon.

You won't be missed. Especially the two hoping for Jays' failure next season.

A little harsh. I'm not pinning this on ownership either; I put this on management. Do you really see this pitching behind adequate next year without some big surprises? The only moves made to bolster the staff are Happ and Chavez. I don't know about you but those two names really don't fill me with confidence. Add to that, are you totally confident Estrada will be anywhere near as good? It was a career year at the age of 32 and his catcher (who by marco's admission) pretty much called all be shots, and that catcher is now gone. To be clear, I still think Estrada is a pretty solid pitcher. That change up is too good, but last rear wreaks of career year to me and I don't expect much similar to it next year. I have zero complaints about the offense but even he most naive and biased fans would have to say the staff needs some real work. We had Happ at like 3 million per and it didn't work, why the hell is gonna work at 12? Cause he had half of a good season? I agree that the Price deal was too rich, but according to his agent (as somebody above said) he wanted to return to Toronto. You don't think it was worthwhile to at least offer him something? Maybe 5-6 years in he 27-30 million range? Just spitballing. At least get in on the bidding. And if not him, how about any of the decently abundant decent arms available in free agency this year? samardzjija's money wasn't all that much bigger than Happ's (maybe the term) but he's a much, much better pitcher. 

For me, it's just too frustrating to see them not going all in here. They have a limited window and reasonably deep pockets, yet this is how they do it? I know they've said they want to win but tbeir actions and the fact that both Shapiro and Atkins have stated that replenishing the prospect cupboard as being a top priority suggests otherwise. You have s great offense, good defence, and average-at-best pitching. F*ck your prospects. Win now, we haven't seen playoffs in 22 years until now. I'm sick of watching mediocre Jay's teams that win 85 games in a good year. 

Shapiro has won executive of the year but I'm still not a fan of his legacy in Cleveland. He stepped into an excellent organization who was a divisional leader and World Series contender. Within a few years they were a bssment dweller and struggling to fill seats, and for the most part nothing has changed. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I don't see him in a Jay's uniform next year. 

I won't mind if management can salvage the loss if he does end up leaving.

Which is asking for a lot since new management looks like they have no clue what they're doing. Or maybe I'm jumping the gun too soon and we should give them a chance/some time to prove if they're capable.

14 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Which is asking for a lot since new management looks like they have no clue what they're doing. Or maybe I'm jumping the gun too soon and we should give them a chance/some time to prove if they're capable.

Lol omg get out of my head. 

Hes gonna want decent money I bet, and term that will likely extend beyond the teams "window". I just don't see management being okay with this.

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

If they can't agree to terms with Edwin trading EE for controllable young arms would be nice. They could sign Davis or Heyward (moving Bautista to DH) or maybe even on a cheaper note Pedro Alvarez.

Isn't Pedro Alvarez a left handed hitter too? That could work well for the team.

20 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Isn't Pedro Alvarez a left handed hitter too? That could work well for the team.

Yes he is and hit 27 home runs last year. Hit 36 home runs and 100 RBI's in the 2013 season. The only issue is apparently he's horrendous on the field even at first base. However the plus is he'd be cheap and was non tendered so he wouldn't cost us our 1rst round draft pick to sign.

Edited by flickyoursedin

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yes he is and hit 27 home runs last year. Hit 36 home runs and 100 RBI's in the 2013 season. The only issue is apparently he's horrendous on the field even at first base. However the plus is he'd be cheap and was non tendered so he wouldn't cost us our 1rst round draft pick to sign.

Yeah he is pretty bad defensively. The fact he ever played third base is astounding. A couple years ago there he was a pretty premier power hitter too. Plus it's not like Edwin is a huge asset defensively himself.

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Yeah he is pretty bad defensively. The fact he ever played third base is astounding. A couple years ago there he was a pretty premier power hitter too. Plus it's not like Edwin is a huge asset defensively himself.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Primarily as a DH and protected in our power hitting lineup he'll get more pitches to hit with pitchers afraid of walking batters in the meat of our order.

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Yeah thats what I was thinking. Primarily as a DH and protected in our power hitting lineup he'll get more pitches to hit with pitchers afraid of walking batters in the meat of our order.

Finally having a LH power threat will force some much harder decisions for opposing managers. I've read some rumours that they are/were interested in Chris Davis, who's an obvious upgrade on Alvarez, but personally I'd pass him. 

12 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

They've already proven themselves incapable.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

They've already proven themselves incapable.

Letting AA leave because of inflexability...hire all Shapiros Cleveland cronies..in fact hire a former coach of the tribe and have him on the payroll,,sends a great message to Gibby...let Price, Lowe and Hendricks walk  and sign a former Jay in Happ who to put it bluntly wasnt missed when here before..when pitching was there weak spot..and now EE demanding an extension before next season which I am sure he would of worked out quietly with AA...this management is hated already and not off to a good start.

Edited by ShakyWalton

14 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If they can't agree to terms with Edwin trading EE for controllable young arms would be nice. They could sign Davis or Heyward (moving Bautista to DH) or maybe even on a cheaper note Pedro Alvarez.

It would be and I have advocated that in the past. Unfortunately, Edwing is a 10 and 5 guy, which means he can veto any trade.

Now we don't know this for sure, but if you're Gibby do you feel like maybe you're on an incredibly short leash? Like it seems they're practically saying "you're not our guy, but we can't fire you for fear of being castrated by fans so we'll wait for your littlest screw up while your replacement waits on deck."