The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

32 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

@PeteAbe: #RedSox in agreement with David Price. 7 years and $217 million. Story on @BGlobeSports: https://t.co/uambYduqBK

$31m per for Price. Win-win for me...get to see him on my Sox...as much as I'd prefer him to stay in TO. We never had a chance. Good on Price for his own good.

I hereby ban you from this Blue Jays thread for admitting you are a Red Sox fan too. No Jays fan in their right mind is a Sox fan.

4 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Price is good but Sox over paid big time.

Yeah that money is gonna look ugly when he's 37. 

I understand he's a great pitcher, and Kershaw wasn't FA eligible (but the deal will run into a few FA years), but Kershaw is on a 7 year deal at 215 mil. He'll only be 32 when it ends (right in his prime still) and has been the best pitcher in baseball for a couple years, with a couple Cy Youngs to show. Plus it's not like David Price has proven to be a playoff stud either.

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan
spelling

4 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I hereby ban you from this Blue Jays thread for admitting you are a Red Sox fan too. No Jays fan in their right mind is a Sox fan.

Cousins in Massachusetts took me to games since I was a kid when I went there in the Summers. Fell in love with them in the late 90's, same time as Pats. Pats I couldn't see cause they don't play in the Summer but Sox games I went to a handful of them. And being Canadian, naturally watched the Jays growing up and have to root for them.

1 minute ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

And we have JA Happ.....

Tbh, Price will decline in 3-4 years max and the last 4-3 years on his contract will be horrible for the Sox. And Happ's $ gives us 3 years of pitching in comparison to 1 year Price would give seeing how much he got paid.

..just didn't have a chance from the beginning. Sox were going to outbid anyone. Just hope the Jays can add some bullpen arms and fix the rest that needs fixing, which is hoping for a lot considering idiotic management and Rogers.

...like I swear to God, give us fans in this thread the money management has been given to work with and we'd do 100x the job these clowns are doing. Like if not Price, at least get a top10 FA starter. Instead, they cheap out, don't even bother trying, and give Happ money we could've have to a much better option.

1 hour ago, g_bassi13 said:

So david price not only fails to sign with us, he signs with the division rivals in Boston. Congrats to the numb nuts over at Rogers 

Heh, could've been worse... Norris, etc could have been traded to another team in the division.

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Heh, could've been worse... Norris, etc could have been traded to another team in the division.

Definitely. I was just venting. This was essentially worst case scenario going into the off-season though. Going to take a while for me to get over it. And having to face Price on a frequent basis for years to come. Doesn't help that I hate the Red sox more than any other team in sports.

Hahah the Sox have much bigger problems right now than simply Price fixing it all.  Jays may have some holes to fill but they won`t be $30+ million per year holes.  Reports are they didn`t even extend him an offer after hearing his demands and rightfully so

Let's be totally honest, he's not really a big game pitcher, his record proves it.  Traditionally, the majority of pitchers in the last decade signing huge money deals have rarely panned out.  Jays will go yard against Price in Fenway all season long anyways.

We can use that money to shore up the areas we need.  Maybe keep revere in the field, we've Happy and Estrada as is and that extra coin should be able to find us someone.

At days end, we don't have to deal with another massive contract on the jays.  I mean let's toss a few names out there right now.

Price, Porcello, Hanley, Sandoval...Jays can be a lot worse off right now than simply having Price retained

28 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

From a hero who could walk on water in TO to everytime he takes the mound in Toronto he will be booed mercessly .

Kind of sucks, because I genuinely like Price, but now I have to boo that poor bastard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Hahah the Sox have much bigger problems right now than simply Price fixing it all.  Jays may have some holes to fill but they won`t be $30+ million per year holes.  Reports are they didn`t even extend him an offer after hearing his demands and rightfully so

Let's be totally honest, he's not really a big game pitcher, his record proves it.  Traditionally, the majority of pitchers in the last decade signing huge money deals have rarely panned out.  Jays will go yard against Price in Fenway all season long anyways.

We can use that money to shore up the areas we need.  Maybe keep revere in the field, we've Happy and Estrada as is and that extra coin should be able to find us someone.

At days end, we don't have to deal with another massive contract on the jays.  I mean let's toss a few names out there right now.

Price, Porcello, Hanley, Sandoval...Jays can be a lot worse off right now than simply having Price retained

I'm almost certain that if the Jays offered him a reasonable contract (Verlander type money, 180M for 7 years), he would have taken that deal, and remained a Jay. Yes, money does talk, but you can tell he enjoyed being a Jay; playing on an elite offensive team, playing in that atmosphere, and playing for an entire country. If you had a choice between the two deals, and also considering the chance of winning a World Series, which deal would you take?  And honestly, does having a couple more millions really affect the outcome of your life? Being paid 27M a year would still set you for the rest of your life. 

The fact that the Jays didn't even contact him, really pissed off a lot of the fan base, who finally got to see their team in the playoffs for the first time in 22 years.

As for him not being a big game pitcher, Kershaw had the similar label, until this post-season. Same goes for Randy Johnson, until he too broke label, when he won a ring with the Diamondbacks, at the age of 37, no less.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Tbh, Price will decline in 3-4 years max and the last 4-3 years on his contract will be horrible for the Sox. And Happ's $ gives us 3 years of pitching in comparison to 1 year Price would give seeing how much he got paid.

..just didn't have a chance from the beginning. Sox were going to outbid anyone. Just hope the Jays can add some bullpen arms and fix the rest that needs fixing, which is hoping for a lot considering idiotic management and Rogers.

...like I swear to God, give us fans in this thread the money management has been given to work with and we'd do 100x the job these clowns are doing. Like if not Price, at least get a top10 FA starter. Instead, they cheap out, don't even bother trying, and give Happ money we could've have to a much better option.

Im not saying the Jays should have matched the deal or anything, but reports are saying we didnt even make him a offer.

24 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Im not saying the Jays should have matched the deal or anything, but reports are saying we didnt even make him a offer.

Im sure AA would have made an offer...you can hang this one on the new guy Shapiro..probably one of many scenarios to come from that guy.