The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Castro has really good stuff..Im sure it will come soon.

Yeah. Reading the comments by Gibby and Martin, they don't seem to be too concerned.

For me, it's about confidence. I think a save will reassure him that his stuff is good enough to win games. Another blown save right away could have him second-guessing himself and trying to be too fine with his pitches. I think that's what the Jays need to avoid.

The rookie pitching is showing...I knew it would but they have to do something about it quickly..they need a seasoned closer and let the rookies learn without pressure before the season gets away on them..as for Travis..this kid is on fire...3rd in HRs...top 10 in BA..tied for 1st in RBIs....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/phillies-gm-hints-jays-calling-about-hamels/

Last kick at the can. Phillies GM pointing out Jays are calling about Hamels. Wouldn't mind the move. Only thing is Hamels has poor numbers against the ALE and that's just from memory. I mean I don't want to be the guy who asks for pitching, sees we're after Hamels and then complains but I would much rather prefer Papelbon. Would be content with Hamels but if this is the last chance, might as well getting JP.

I mean in all honesty, Hamels is not going to put us over the top and worst part is he'd cost a ton of prospects which is something I just don't want to see anymore. Drafting has been solid but have traded off a lot of promising guys. Would much rather prefer bullpen help. Think that would be > Hamels. And if they can't get bullpen help, would rather get Papelbon and send a pitcher to the bullpen. Just my opinion though nice to know Jays management is calling around.

Another day, another outstanding Pillar catch. Not sure about Gold Glove requirements, but he better not get screwed over because he doesn't have enough games at any one outfield position.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/phillies-gm-hints-jays-calling-about-hamels/

Last kick at the can. Phillies GM pointing out Jays are calling about Hamels. Wouldn't mind the move. Only thing is Hamels has poor numbers against the ALE and that's just from memory. I mean I don't want to be the guy who asks for pitching, sees we're after Hamels and then complains but I would much rather prefer Papelbon. Would be content with Hamels but if this is the last chance, might as well getting JP.

I mean in all honesty, Hamels is not going to put us over the top and worst part is he'd cost a ton of prospects which is something I just don't want to see anymore. Drafting has been solid but have traded off a lot of promising guys. Would much rather prefer bullpen help. Think that would be Hamels. And if they can't get bullpen help, would rather get Papelbon and send a pitcher to the bullpen. Just my opinion though nice to know Jays management is calling around.

Jays don't have a clear #1 starter. Dickey sure isn't one and has been a total bust to say the least. Him winning Cy Young in NL was a fluke. Hamels would cost alot no doubt but he would give the Jays a clear #1 starter. AA's job is on the line this year if they don't make the playoffs again, so he doesn't have a choice. His stance has changed from earlier when he said acquiring Hamels was unrealistic and now apparently he's among the teams calling about him. I wonder if AA would try and get Utley in the deal too as he's coveted and had interest in him in the past. Bullpen is awful too. AA did nothing to upgrade or improve both the rotation and bullpen. It's unfair to throw all these young kids in there and expect them to get it done. This team is built on offense alone and try to out slug the opponent. It's been this way for many years now and it's been proven over and over again that it doesn't work. You need pitching especially come playoff time. Jays ownership needs to wake up clean house and fire both AA and Gibbons now.

Another day, another outstanding Pillar catch. Not sure about Gold Glove requirements, but he better not get screwed over because he doesn't have enough games at any one outfield position.

and he does it again! great catch at the wall to take extra bases away for jason kipnis.

Without Pillar.Donaldson and Travis this team would be hard to watch...the pitching is brutal once again and when the pitching actually is good..they cant hit, they are off to an atrocious start..say goodbye AA and Gibbons.

What a bunch of scrambling going on..this really doesnt instill much confidence in the young guys....the pitching is the real problem here..as for Pompey..I guess with Saunders back he is better off playing full time..someone would have to sit with Joey Bats back in the lineup....

TORONTO - The Toronto Blue Jays announced Saturday they've selected the contracts of pitcher Scott Copeland and outfielder Ezequiel Carrera from triple-A Buffalo.

The Blue Jays also optioned left-hander Andrew Albers of North Battleford, Sask., and outfielder Dalton Pompey, a native of Mississauga, Ont., to Buffalo.

To make room on the 40-man roster, Toronto designated right-hander Matt West and infielder Andy Wilkins for assignment.

Copeland, 27, was 2-1 this season with Buffalo with a 1.44 earned-run average over 25 innings pitched. He allowed 13 hits with 13 strikeouts and just two walks.

Carrera, 27, hit .325 in 21 games with Buffalo this year.

Pompey was Toronto's starting centre-fielder to open the season but hit just .193 over 23 games and also struggled defensively.

Edited by ShakyWalton

Albers sure made an impression in his first action with the Jays...and not in a good way.

Things are definitely on the bleak side when MB can't get out of the 4th...

I'm assuming that Pompey's demotion will coincide with Joey Bats returning to RF.

Without Pillar.Donaldson and Travis this team would be hard to watch...the pitching is brutal once again and when the pitching actually is good..they cant hit, they are off to an atrocious start..say goodbye AA and Gibbons.

What a bunch of scrambling going on..this really doesnt instill much confidence in the young guys....the pitching is the real problem here..as for Pompey..I guess with Saunders back he is better off playing full time..someone would have to sit with Joey Bats back in the lineup....

TORONTO - The Toronto Blue Jays announced Saturday they've selected the contracts of pitcher Scott Copeland and outfielder Ezequiel Carrera from triple-A Buffalo.

The Blue Jays also optioned left-hander Andrew Albers of North Battleford, Sask., and outfielder Dalton Pompey, a native of Mississauga, Ont., to Buffalo.

To make room on the 40-man roster, Toronto designated right-hander Matt West and infielder Andy Wilkins for assignment.

Copeland, 27, was 2-1 this season with Buffalo with a 1.44 earned-run average over 25 innings pitched. He allowed 13 hits with 13 strikeouts and just two walks.

Carrera, 27, hit .325 in 21 games with Buffalo this year.

Pompey was Toronto's starting centre-fielder to open the season but hit just .193 over 23 games and also struggled defensively.

If Anthopolous was smart he wouldn't have sold the farm for all these over the hill vets. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 but I hated the trade at the time too. Syndergaard and d'Arnaud would be huge pieces for the team, and at the time of the trade I believe they were the #3 and #7 prospects in baseball with d'Arnaud being not that far removed from his time as the #1 prospect in baseball. Throw in what appears to be a solid young SS in Hechavarria (who's really settling in nicely), an OF prospect with tantalizing tools in Marisnick, and a decent young pitcher in Alvarez and those trades are awful. Admittedly I didn't like Alvarez in his Jays tenure but he was young and gifted (didn't he hit 100MPH in the minor leagues not long before making his MLB debut?) and was an all-star last year. Really, the only decent part of the return was MB who this year doesn't seem the be the same (his WHIP is pushing 2 through his first 5 starts). Reyes has been solid when healthy, but hasn't been healthy nearly enough.

I know the trades didn't totally deplete the farm system but they gave up some of their prospects. Personally I liked Syndergaard more than Sanchez. He's a horse. Between him, Wheeler, and Harvey the Mets could have a scary rotation down the road.

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan

If Anthopolous was smart he wouldn't have sold the farm for all these over the hill vets. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 but I hated the trade at the time too. Syndergaard and d'Arnaud would be huge pieces for the team, and at the time of the trade I believe they were the #3 and #7 prospects in baseball with d'Arnaud being not that far removed from his time as the #1 prospect in baseball. Throw in what appears to be a solid young SS in Hechavarria (who's really settling in nicely), an OF prospect with tantalizing tools in Marisnick, and a decent young pitcher in Alvarez and those trades are awful. Admittedly I didn't like Alvarez in his Jays tenure but he was young and gifted (didn't he hit 100MPH in the minor leagues not long before making his MLB debut?) and was an all-star last year. Really, the only decent part of the return was MB who this year doesn't seem the be the same (his WHIP is pushing 2 through his first 5 starts). Reyes has been solid when healthy, but hasn't been healthy nearly enough.

I know the trades didn't totally deplete the farm system but they gave up some of their prospects. Personally I liked Syndergaard more than Sanchez. He's a horse. Between him, Wheeler, and Harvey the Mets could have a scary rotation down the road.

Now today..they kicked butt...unreal...the jeykl and hyde of baseball...Pillar who isnt my favourite...is on pace right now to be a run away leader for the allstar team..he is hitting..fielding and doing the right things...right now I would say he is the best player in Major League ball

Edited by ShakyWalton

Now today..they kicked butt...unreal...the jeykl and hyde of baseball...Pillar who isnt my favourite...is on pace right now to be a run away leader for the allstar team..he is hitting..fielding and doing the right things...right now I would say he is the best player in Major League ball

I wouldn't go quite that far...(Nelly Cruz is currently on pace for 88 HRs) but he and Travis are certainly up there.

The thing I'm starting to notice about the Jays (and it's not good) is that every team seems to have a guy they just can't get out....Adam Jones for the O's, Markakis for the Braves, Longo for the Rays, Ortiz for the Red Sox and now Brantley for the Indians....

As Alice said, curiouser and curiouser... :huh:

What makes you not a fan of Pillar? I've nothing but respect for the guy. Later round draft pick, product of a middle-of-the-road D2 program and he's simply got it done at every level he's played at. Plus he leaves it all on the field every day. What's not to love?

Problem with Pillar is that he has a terrible bat. He's been a better clutch hitter than past years but his underlying numbers still suck.

.305 OBP, 5:1 SO/BB ratio, etc. Guy has got to learn how to take a walk.

His defense has been great and is what's keeping him in the line-up. His steals add value as well and if he can become a 20+ steals/season player with +++ defense and a below average bat, he should be able to stay as a starter.

The Jays pitching (especially the starters) have been hot garbage and has earned the league's best offense a below .500 record.

Edited by Duodenum