The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

14 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

maybe...Im not a fan...but they need that leftie right now.

I understand that it's hard to get behind Cecil right now and you may actually be correct. He may have lost it for good.

However, my experience is that slumping players eventually return to their median performance level and Cecil is much better than he's showing right now. His best pitch is his curveball and he absolutely needs to command it. If you re-watch the HR ball he gave up yesterday, it was a curve that he hung up in the zone. When he's on, that pitch starts off at the bottom of the strike zone and is well below by the time the batter swings at it.

I cut Cecil some slack, because he's still not far removed from being on the DL and it takes time for the finesse pitches to come around.

I still think he'll be fine by the time the postseason rolls around. However, if Atkins has an opportunity to sign a quality lefty at the trade deadline, I think he absolutely should make that deal. I doubt we'd see a deal with the Yankees, but Miller is the guy that I'd love to have. (Yes, even more than Chapman)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I understand that it's hard to get behind Cecil right now and you may actually be correct. He may have lost it for good.

However, my experience is that slumping players eventually return to their median performance level and Cecil is much better than he's showing right now. His best pitch is his curveball and he absolutely needs to command it. If you re-watch the HR ball he gave up yesterday, it was a curve that he hung up in the zone. When he's on, that pitch starts off at the bottom of the strike zone and is well below by the time the batter swings at it.

I cut Cecil some slack, because he's still not far removed from being on the DL and it takes time for the finesse pitches to come around.

I still think he'll be fine by the time the postseason rolls around. However, if Atkins has an opportunity to sign a quality lefty at the trade deadline, I think he absolutely should make that deal. I doubt we'd see a deal with the Yankees, but Miller is the guy that I'd love to have. (Yes, even more than Chapman)

I'd take either guy or even betances...

25 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I'd take either guy or even betances...

For sure, but I think that of the three, Miller fits the bill better than the other two.

The Jays are in pretty good shape as far as right handers go, (especially if Storen can get it together) but even if Cecil reverts to form, he'd be the only reliable lefty in the pen. Chapman is great, but he's used to the closer role and I think it would be a mistake to take that job away from Osuna. Miller has been setting up AC all year and I think he'd slot into that same role with the Jays quite easily.

Ya but what's it going to cost to get a guy like Miller? The rumours out there was Kyle Schwarber for Miller if he was traded to the Cubs. If the Jays were to acquire him I'm sure it would cost more because of being in the same division. 

7 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

Ya but what's it going to cost to get a guy like Miller? The rumours out there was Kyle Schwarber for Miller if he was traded to the Cubs. If the Jays were to acquire him I'm sure it would cost more because of being in the same division. 

Give them future considerations, a roster player and Rowdy Tellez; ei; if Encarnacion isn't re-signed by a week prior to free agency trade his rights to nyy to try and let them scoop him from Boston (for the future consideration)

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For sure, but I think that of the three, Miller fits the bill better than the other two.

The Jays are in pretty good shape as far as right handers go, (especially if Storen can get it together) but even if Cecil reverts to form, he'd be the only reliable lefty in the pen. Chapman is great, but he's used to the closer role and I think it would be a mistake to take that job away from Osuna. Miller has been setting up AC all year and I think he'd slot into that same role with the Jays quite easily.

I would like Miller as well, so far our only consistent guys have been Osuna and Grilli out of the Pen. 

Well.... Goins pitched a pretty good inning as well:lol:

12 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I would like Miller as well, so far our only consistent guys have been Osuna and Grilli out of the Pen. 

Well.... Goins pitched a pretty good inning as well:lol:

Thats how he ended up on the IR,,,:P

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gmen81 said:

Probably more than we can give up, which is why I said in my original post that it's highly unlikely. That's not even taking into consideration trading within the division.

For those interested, there is a documentary on Netflix, I believe called Fastball. The movie is about, you guessed it, the fastball. Narrated by Kevin Costner and discusses some of the science behind a fastball, how its measured, and who some of the hardest throwing guys have been over the course of baseball history.

Aroldis Chapman is featured in it, and he just recently hit 105MPH.

59 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

For those interested, there is a documentary on Netflix, I believe called Fastball. The movie is about, you guessed it, the fastball. Narrated by Kevin Costner and discusses some of the science behind a fastball, how its measured, and who some of the hardest throwing guys have been over the course of baseball history.

Aroldis Chapman is featured in it, and he just recently hit 105MPH.

He hit 108 when he was a hyped up prospect... That's why there was a chapman "sweepstakes" when cincy won.

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I tend to agree with Shaky on this guy, Cecil no doubt had a great year last year, but past has shown he has struggled a lot. I used to hate this guy when he was a starter he blew, and still didn't like him when he first went to the pen. 

I started liking him a bit in 2014 more because he started becoming better, but what he did last year was amazing. He obviously worked at it and learned more at what it takes to be in the bullpen, so no doubt I liked him last year and was hoping for more success this year.

But after his injury last year he hasn't been the same Cecil, he's becoming more like the old Cecil again. He started the year and sucked, then was injured again and so far he still sucks. I hear what your saying about giving him a chance and I agree as well, especially in blow out games is the perfect time for him to get some innings. I want him to be the Cecil from last year, but it's just we've seen this Cecil in the past before.... 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I tend to agree with Shaky on this guy, Cecil no doubt had a great year last year, but past has shown he has struggled a lot. I used to hate this guy when he was a starter he blew, and still didn't like him when he first went to the pen. 

I started liking him a bit in 2014 more because he started becoming better, but what he did last year was amazing. He obviously worked at it and learned more at what it takes to be in the bullpen, so no doubt I liked him last year and was hoping for more success this year.

But after his injury last year he hasn't been the same Cecil, he's becoming more like the old Cecil again. He started the year and sucked, then was injured again and so far he still sucks. I hear what your saying about giving him a chance and I agree as well, especially in blow out games is the perfect time for him to get some innings. I want him to be the Cecil from last year, but it's just we've seen this Cecil in the past before.... 

I can agree with that, but if he solves his issues and gets into the right mind frame he's the lefty I'd take a chance on. That being said it'd be nice if Storen could figure his crap out too. Because if we could aquire Miller, we'd have a formidable bullpen with 

Chavez, Cecil, Storen, Grilli, Miller and Osuna (if all 6 of them could deal like the way we've seen them in the past) but perhaps I'm just a positive/wishful thinker.

10 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I tend to agree that he wasn't suited as a starter, but I disagree that he's ever struggled as a reliever before this season.

I'ts funny that you say you started liking him in 2014, because in 2013 he was an all-star. In fact, in each of 2013, 2014 and 2015, his ERA was under 3.00. He has over 60 appearances in each of those seasons, accumulating over 50 innings pitched.

From what I can see, the Brett Cecil of last season is the norm and this year's is the aberration. Not the other way around.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I tend to agree that he wasn't suited as a starter, but I disagree that he's ever struggled as a reliever before this season.

I'ts funny that you say you started liking him in 2014, because in 2013 he was an all-star. In fact, in each of 2013, 2014 and 2015, his ERA was under 3.00. He has over 60 appearances in each of those seasons, accumulating over 50 innings pitched.

From what I can see, the Brett Cecil of last season is the norm and this year's is the aberration. Not the other way around.

This is what I'm thinking too, but the way I see it the Jays are built to win this year and Cecil isn't helping them to do that as it stands right now.