The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Jays are looking at a couple of Padres...

On Friday, we reported on the rumours the Toronto Blue Jays could be interested in San Diego Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner; Saturday brings news the Jays could be looking at another Padres player, outfielder Melvin Upton Jr.

FOX Sports baseball reporter Ken Rosenthal reports the Jays have discussed acquiring Upton, possibly in a package deal with Cashner.

this will set the earth on fire...an average pitcher who is 4-7 with an ERA of almost 5    and a redundant OF who can steal the odd base although he has 16 HRs this year......Melvin(dont call me BJ anymore)Upton

Edited by ShakyWalton

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

Jays are looking at a couple of Padres...

On Friday, we reported on the rumours the Toronto Blue Jays could be interested in San Diego Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner; Saturday brings news the Jays could be looking at another Padres player, outfielder Melvin Upton Jr.

FOX Sports baseball reporter Ken Rosenthal reports the Jays have discussed acquiring Upton, possibly in a package deal with Cashner.

this will set the earth on fire...an average pitcher who is 4-7 with an ERA of almost 5    and a redundant OF who can steal the odd base although he has 16 HRs this year......Melvin(dont call me BJ anymore)Upton

We have to stay away from Cashner, he gets touched up quite abit in a pitchers park. He'd get lit up bad in the Al East and at the Roger's.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

Didn't see any Upton to Jays rumours, but saw Upton to Orioles for Gallardo. 

Doesn't make a ton of sense. Why would they want to add more offence when their pitching is average at best? I guess they might feel it's addition by subtraction for their pitching staff. 

Jays are "front runners" for M.Upton.

When it comes to the Jays contract situation and how it plays into the possibility of acquiring Upton Jr. Saunders will get his money. He's a lot younger than EE and Joey Bats. Sure he will regress but not as much as EE and Joey Bats will in the span of 5 years lets say. I'm not saying Jose and EE don't deserve raises, but with our ownership/management group, they much rather give guys like Saunders and Donaldson the money over EE and Joey Bats.

Imo that would probably be a wiser move. Does anybody remember Alex Rios, Vernon Wells contracts? It's kind of the same situation but JP Ricardi gave them big contracts and Vernon Wells and Rios didn't play up to expectations and those contracts burdened the Jays for a very long time. Imo those contracts deeply cost the Blue Jays the chance to re-sign AJ Burrnet and any other big name free agents throughout that time span.

They were lucky to trade Wells contract to LA and got lucky enough to get anything out from that deal as the Jays got Gose who was dealt for Devon Travis. Now do you want that same situation with Joey Bats and EE? My answer would be no, because you could pretty well say goodbye to Donaldson now since we would have no cap in the budget to sign him. If the Jays were to get Upton Jr that would provide the Jays with a decent everyday right fielder to replace Bautista, not to mention, Upton Jr is younger and controllable beyond 2016.

...as much as it hurts for me to say this with JB being my all time favourite Blue Jay, taking all things into consideration, this is probably what management is thinking as well and have to do for the long term betterment of the team because we all know financially, TO won't able to spend like the top handful of teams do to be able to keep all the pieces in place. Just won't happen, something has to give, and logically, that's probably what happens while being the most sensible thing.

Edited by TheRussianRocket.
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Jays are "front runners" for M.Upton.

When it comes to the Jays contract situation and how it plays into the possibility of acquiring Upton Jr. Saunders will get his money. He's a lot younger than EE and Joey Bats. Sure he will regress but not as much as EE and Joey Bats will in the span of 5 years lets say. I'm not saying Jose and EE don't deserve raises, but with our management group, they much rather give guys like Saunders and Donaldson the money over EE and Joey Bats.

In my opinion, that would probably be a wiser move. Does anybody remember Alex Rios, Vernon Wells contracts? It's kind of the same situation but JP Ricardi gave them big contracts and Vernon Wells and Rios didn't play up to expectations and those contracts burdened the Jays for a very long time. Imo those contracts deeply cost the Blue Jays the chance to re-sign AJ Burrnet and any other big name free agents throughout that time span.

They were lucky to trade Wells contract to LA and got lucky to get anything out from that deal as the Jays got Gose who was dealt for Devon Travis. Now do you want that same situation with Joey Bats and EE? My answer would be no, because you could pretty well say goodbye to Donaldson now because we would have any cap in the budget to sign him. If the Jays were to get Upton Jr that would provide the Jays with a decent everyday right fielder to replace Jose Bautista, not to mention, Upton Jr is younger and controllable beyond 2016.

...as much as it hurts for me to say this with JB being my all time favourite Blue Jay, taking all things into consideration, this is probably what management is thinking as well and have to do for the long term betterment of the team because we all know financially, TO won't able to spend like the top handful of teams do to be able to keep all the pieces in place. Just won't happen, something has to give, and logically, that's probably what happens while being the most sensible thing.

I totally expect to lose one and possibly both of EE and Bats..if there is no intention of resigning them they should get something now for them...Upton isnt my idea of a replacement ..low BA..some speed and average power..might have to take him just to get a deal done for a pitcher.