The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

and basically the trade deadline...the moves they made havent done a thing...I also think all these September call ups have disrupted this team....Im with Zaun on this one

It's tough to say...certain players seem to be carrying on business as usual (Tulo and Martin) while others have disappeared or gone cold (Donaldson, Saunders, some pitching, etc). I think it's more to do with each individual's psyche. Tulo and Martin are actually playing better than they were 3 months ago while others are faltering. 

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

4 wins in their last 12..lost 4 series in a row...no hitting....crap pitching ..off for Anahiem and Seattle...Seattle will kill them...they want the playoffs and are winning...Im willing to bet the Angels sweep them.

I agree..they are pretty much done...I have never seen a potenial playoff team tank so hard. I am getting so I cant even watch them anymore.

#OurMoment 

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Get ride of Gibbons the guy is a joke, if this team is to turn it around they need a new manager this is getting pathetic.

The writing is on the wall, we go to rebuild mode with the hiring of Cherington today. 

That means Gibbons is gone, Bautista is gone, Saunders is gone, Dickey is gone. I would be surprised to see EE re-sign unless he loves Toronto more than winning. There is probably no real untouchables on our team. Donaldson, Sanchez and Travis would be the only ones I'd keep if I was rebuilding. 

Some one said it earlier, we've played .333 baseball in the last 12. Completely unacceptable for a "contending team". Stroman, Tulo and Martin could probably be had if we can get some young pieces. And although Tulo has a ntc, I bet he wants to go to a contender or back to Colorado.  

The only way any of this changes is if we play 8-2 in the next 10 and the other teams(O's, BoSox and Yanks) all go 5-5 in the next 10. And unfortunately the way we are playing... I just can't see it happening. We now have to set up for when the O's are less slugging and the likes of Price, Porcello  and the other guys of Boston are in their twilight years. The Yanks will start their usual thing next offseason with paying to be good again. Texiera, A-Rod, Beltran and Sabathia being off the books in the next year or two will give them 100+ million in salary if they're willing to spend again. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

The writing is on the wall, we go to rebuild mode with the hiring of Cherington today. 

That means Gibbons is gone, Bautista is gone, Saunders is gone, Dickey is gone. I would be surprised to see EE re-sign unless he loves Toronto more than winning. There is probably no real untouchables on our team. Donaldson, Sanchez and Travis would be the only ones I'd keep if I was rebuilding. 

Some one said it earlier, we've played .333 baseball in the last 12. Completely unacceptable for a "contending team". Stroman, Tulo and Martin could probably be had if we can get some young pieces. And although Tulo has a ntc, I bet he wants to go to a contender or back to Colorado.  

The only way any of this changes is if we play 8-2 in the next 10 and the other teams(O's, BoSox and Yanks) all go 5-5 in the next 10. And unfortunately the way we are playing... I just can't see it happening. We now have to set up for when the O's are less slugging and the likes of Price, Porcello  and the other guys of Boston are in their twilight years. The Yanks will start their usual thing next offseason with paying to be good again. Texiera, A-Rod, Beltran and Sabathia being off the books in the next year or two will give them 100+ million in salary if they're willing to spend again. 

Yeah that signing of Cherington is a sign of no playoffs for another 20+ years again. Just so damn frustrating to see this happen to a team that should of been poised to win a world series last year and this year. More frustrating to see Rogers force the Jays this year to cheap out and not spend a lot of money, when it's their time and only time, ridiculous. 

Honestly I can't even think about the future of the Jays, because I dont care. I know after this year their chances are done, this was their year and it's been blown away by cheap @$$E$.

Why the F was Goins in today and not Barney? Why is Saunders batting 2nd when he has been struggling? Why not have Tulo bat 2nd since he has been on fire. Travis hurts the team defensively have him DH, put Goins at 2nd, Bautista can be in the outfield, sit Saunders play Carrera, or just sit Carrera and have him pinch hit. It's like this Gibbons doesn't want to win, or just shows how BAD he really is at managing a team, and knowing his players.

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I wouldn't give up on Stroman just yet.  Remember, this was basically his first full year.

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I wouldn't give up on Stroman just yet.  Remember, this was basically his first full year.

If he was a small pitcher(5'10-6'1) I'd agree. But just the biology of him...being tiny he'll be injury plagued especially since there's such a hard stance on steroids now. Id say sell high on him. 

Blue Jays are done. It is going to be another 20+ years before they make the playoffs again.

Rogers and management are a bunch of clowns. This is karma for not bringing AA back. I will be betting against the Jays the rest of the way. I am no longer cheering for them, even if they make the playoffs they are most certainly not better than Boston or Texas.

Edited by van_ws

5 minutes ago, van_ws said:

Blue Jays are done. It is going to be another 20+ years before they make the playoffs again.

Rogers and management are a bunch of clowns. This is karma for not bringing AA back. I will be betting against the Jays the rest of the way. I am no longer cheering for them, even if they make the playoffs they are most certainly not better than Boston or Texas.

Yup.  2036 will be the next time Jays make the playoffs.  Gibbons will still be managing them too.  :lol:. Is that guy the worst 

Manager in the Big Leagues?

Who cares about the Jays. Up until last year nobody gave a damn about them outside of Torontonians and the odd fan across the country. They get on a hot streak, get non stop media coverage being rammed down our throats for two months and make the playoffs for the first time in two decades and now they are all of the sudden Canada's team? Get real. If they were based in Vancouver nobody would care. The Toronto media wagon hyped them up and people took the bait. Now they are sliding and where are the Jay's hats now? 

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Who cares about the Jays. Up until last year nobody gave a damn about them outside of Torontonians and the odd fan across the country. They get on a hot streak, get non stop media coverage being rammed down our throats for two months and make the playoffs for the first time in two decades and now they are all of the sudden Canada's team? Get real. If they were based in Vancouver nobody would care. The Toronto media wagon hyped them up and people took the bait. Now they are sliding and where are the Jay's hats now? 

I care about the Jays and will always care about the Jays. I still rock my hat around town. A little slump isn't gonna stop me from cheering for them. I'm going to the game in Seattle on Wednesday and will be rocking Jays gear and cheering loud whether they are on a losing streak or a winning streak. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

^^^yeah, it was funny seeing the sudden wave of Jays hats and memorabilia around Vancouver around July/August last year. Lots of fans and I bet a lot of them couldn't tell you who Shannon Stewart is, or the relevance of that Zaun guy on tv.

Not just Vancouver...check out the TO crowds...the other day I said to myself that 99% of these ball bunnies that they zoom in on probably couldnt tell you who Joe Carter was.

16 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

and basically the trade deadline...the moves they made havent done a thing...I also think all these September call ups have disrupted this team....Im with Zaun on this one

I was hoping for a lot more from Feldman, but I think it's fair to say he's been a disappointment. Benoit however, has been good and I think the Liriano for Hutch trade has been a win as well. It just wasn't enough.

13 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Get ride of Gibbons the guy is a joke, if this team is to turn it around they need a new manager this is getting pathetic.

I've been critical of Gibby myself. The refusal to ask players to do some situational hitting on occasion has hurt the club, IMO. However, I don't see how you can blame the manager, when virtually the entire team is slumping. Right now, I'd say Travis, Tulo, Martin, Grilli, Osuna and Sanchez are playing to their potential. That's not nearly enough for a contending team.

13 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

The Yanks adding one of Machado, Harper, or Trout to their existing crop of young talent is a terrifying thought.

My money is on Harper. His ego is too big for DC and the short porch in right at Yankee stadium would be a huge attraction for him.

9 hours ago, Pickly said:

Speak for yourself. I've been a fan since '77 and was an Expos fan before that. Just because CDC is largely populated by teenagers who think baseball is "boring", doesn't mean that it's a common sentiment.

If you watch games on TV, you'd see that virtually every other park that the Jays visit has a lot of Jays' fans in attendance. The upcoming series in Seattle might as well be a home series for T.O.