The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Just read something on Sportsnet.ca that absolutely blew me away...

When Pedro Martinez is inducted into the Hall of Fame next week, he will become only the 2nd native of the Dominican Republic in the Hall. :o (Juan Marichal was the first, 32 years ago)

• Upvote 1

deals like this arent going to get it done...I dont think this team wants to spend any money or win..ughhh.

It's unfair to Bautista, Reyes, Donaldson and Encarnacion. Maybe even martin & pillar. They play their asses off every night only to have their chances ruined by pitching. This team is a playoff team imo, but the pitching staff for the most part is AAA at best.

Great..this will put them over the top.....fastball at 89mph..we already have 2 of those..Buerhle and Dickey.

I have often wondered if a team really needs to worry about having a mix of soft tossers to fire ballers in the rotation. I know it is usually nice to have a mix of righties/lefties so you don't get thumped in a series that hits one side way better. Maybe the same rules applies with speed, I don't know. To me, sometimes, an effective pitcher is just an effective pitcher.

And I still believe to really upgrade the rotation, I mean really truly upgrade it, will take a COMPLETE gutting of the farm system. To get a Price and Cueto? Goodbye your top six prospects in the system at least.

Edit: And then there is the bullpen to take care of. Rogers cheaping out at the beginning of the year really hurt there because the bullpen issue could have easily been solved with a modest amount of money.

Edited by Wilbur

I have often wondered if a team really needs to worry about having a mix of soft tossers to fire ballers in the rotation. I know it is usually nice to have a mix of righties/lefties so you don't get thumped in a series that hits one side way better. Maybe the same rules applies with speed, I don't know. To me, sometimes, an effective pitcher is just an effective pitcher.

And I still believe to really upgrade the rotation, I mean really truly upgrade it, will take a COMPLETE gutting of the farm system. To get a Price and Cueto? Goodbye your top six prospects in the system at least.

Edit: And then there is the bullpen to take care of. Rogers cheaping out at the beginning of the year really hurt there because the bullpen issue could have easily been solved with a modest amount of money.

I can agree with that but Buerhle is the only one of those 3 that I would want.

I can agree with that but Buerhle is the only one of those 3 that I would want.

Heh, I guess I should state that Fiers doesn't get me all excited either. Before, I was speaking in general terms.

Man I forgot about that guy....seems like nothing ever pans out for us; Romero, Drabek, McGowan, etc....

Well, there is Bautista and EE. But I guess, sadly, they can't pitch.

Romero was never cut out out to be a #1 guy back when he was. I did think he would be a solid #4 or #5 guy. I guess I was way off on that.

You and a lot of other people.

Honestly, RR is one of those sports mysteries that crops up every now and again. A guy with a ton of talent just inexplicably loses his way and is unable to rediscover it.

Jonathan Cheechoo and David Duval are other examples.

Is anyone here heading down to catch the series in Seattle? I might be going down for a game myself.

I was thinking of going down for the Sat night game and staying the night but with the exchange rate as it is and my wife's drinking ability at live events (the more expensive the beer the thirstier she seems to be), I don't think it will happen. Instead, we went to the Cs last night.

I saw on TSN all over the internet that the Jays were in the market for Mat Latos. Now that would be a good pitcher to get.

Edited by RonMexico

Forgot about Stroman. Is there any possibility he could return late in the season?

There was when he initially got injured but haven't heard since. At the rate we're heading it wouldn't be worth bringing him back. Time to settle back and risk of reaggravation wouldn't be worth it imo unless we're in the playoffs.

I was thinking of going down for the Sat night game and staying the night but with the exchange rate as it is and my wife's drinking ability at live events (the more expensive the beer the thirstier she seems to be), I don't think it will happen. Instead, we went to the Cs last night.

I saw on TSN all over the internet that the Jays were in the market for Mat Latos. Now that would be a good pitcher to get.

If Latos can keep up something resembling his current play that would be perfect. I don't know how much could be demanded for him, but I like the possibility.

I don't think anyone I'm going with will be doing any shopping or the such, and we won't be staying the night, so I think we'll be fine re: the exchange rate. Though it sucks knowing I'll have to limit myself for reasons out of my hands.

Forgot about Stroman. Is there any possibility he could return late in the season?

They've said September. I'm not sure how likely that is, but that is what has been said.

There was when he initially got injured but haven't heard since. At the rate we're heading it wouldn't be worth bringing him back. Time to settle back and risk of reaggravation wouldn't be worth it imo unless we're in the playoffs.

With the delicate arms that young pitchers seem to have, I wouldn't bring him back this season at all. I dunno who the Jays pitching coaches are at all the levels but they appear to be arm shredders. While I don't believe in pitch counts and overuse, there is something wrong when all your promising young arms are broken down by the time they arrive.

Romero was never cut out out to be a #1 guy back when he was. I did think he would be a solid #4 or #5 guy. I guess I was way off on that.

Ricky was flirting with ace status before things fell apart. At least a great #3, good #2.

Is anyone here heading down to catch the series in Seattle? I might be going down for a game myself.

I had tickets for all 3 games and a hotel booked but that all went to sh*t when my stupid cousin decided to have a stupid wedding. Waste of time IMO (the wedding).