The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The way it is...Tony G's take....

Honky Cat

He is right on a lot of points there. This franchise needs a complete redo. People who are not working is Gillis, torts, Kesler. For Kesler he just doesn't play as a teammate. When was the last time you saw him make a nice pass? or stand up for a teammate? In my opinion he is just mentally gone from Vancouver his ego issues are also not working for the dressing room. We need a reset. fire Gillis, fire Torts and trade Kesler. We also need to trade Hansen as he is just taking up a roster spot and doing nothing. use the salary saved from Kesler and Hansen and sign Paul Stastny as our second line center and inject some youth. We should be back in a couple years.

I love how Vancouver media really takes to heart what it means to have journalistic objectivity. I always find that they never state their opinions but only present cold hard facts.

Actually I bet these were the same journalists who were reporting on The Iraq weapons of mass destruction. "Operation Iraqi Freedom!"

I love how Vancouver media really takes to heart what it means to have journalistic objectivity. I always find that they never state their opinions but only present cold hard facts.

Actually I bet these were the same journalists who were reporting on The Iraq weapons of mass destruction. "Operation Iraqi Freedom!"

botchford, gallagher, kuzma, macintyre etc. are not simple beat writers. they're not being paid for game summaries. they're columnists that are paid for their analysis and opinion.

I guess TG watched SN and Vaulk's comments to write his story from. How original.

Canucks have successfully dropped to the 8th pick with possibly Ottawa and Carolina climbing over them. This is the great news of last nights win.

botchford, gallagher, kuzma, macintyre etc. are not simple beat writers. they're not being paid for game summaries. they're columnists that are paid for their analysis and opinion.

Agreed, they are paid for their opinion's. Their opinions aren't any different from many of those on these boards, the only difference being that they reach a wider audience. Unfortunately, some will take those opinion's and build their whole mindset around them rather than watching the games with an open mind and reaching their own conclusions. For those that have the same opinion they will use it to say "see I told you", as so and so wrote a whole article about it, so it must be the right opinion.

• the team was trending downward under AV, seemed to be growing more and more complacent. So we dismiss AV and give Micheal Gillis a reprieve, with the thought being AV must have lost the room.
  • Enter Torts,different system, new voice. Multiple injuries and some questioning his system, team still showing some complacency. These factors along with some questionable tactics from Torts have led to many turning on him as well.

So do you dismiss another coach? Give Micheal Gillis another reprieve? If they fire Torts and keep Micheal and have another down year, do you then dismiss Micheal Gillis and possibly have the new GM come in and hire yet another head coach, while losing a whole year in the process?

Imo, you dismiss Micheal Gillis, let the new GM come in and make a decision on the coaching staff, to try and avoid the above possibilty.

At this point the arguments for MG supporters are now along the lines of "no the Canucks aren't total garbage, they're only 80% garbage." And "our GM is still better than the worst GM in the league." As if being in the bottom 10 is any better than being the absolute worst.

The media might be overly harsh but Nonis isn't coming out in the press and saying "Randy play some better D cough cough" and Burke isn't saying "Let's play up tempo guys, we got what it takes to win." MG made his bed. I feel the same way about MG how I do about Burke now. His arrogance supercedes hockey moves. Unless the team is a cup dynasty I cannot support this arrogance no matter how many high value signings the GM has made.

Why is it when I read an 'opinion' by this guy, I immediately feel the urge to wash my hands? .. I believe the owners will choose to 'stay the course' thru the first 30+ games of next season .. we need to change the 'room' .. remove those who are not part of the solution .. it is obvious Kesler must go .. the 'room' needs more than just an air freshener.

Tony G was bang on

Before Kassian played lights out..,it was Jensen who was the new hero. Who did he play with? Henrik and Burrows

Burrows-H. Sedin-Jensen

then the Kassian-Richardson line caught fire

Thats 2 lines going who had chemistry and momentum. Cane you not put together a 2nd and 4th line from whats left?

Higgins gets a bit of a pass because he STILL put up decent numbers for his salary.

Hansen? Im sorry but him, Ricky Schroeder and Weber can all be packaged somehow.

Tony G was bang on

Before Kassian played lights out..,it was Jensen who was the new hero. Who did he play with? Henrik and Burrows

Burrows-H. Sedin-Jensen

then the Kassian-Richardson line caught fire

Thats 2 lines going who had chemistry and momentum. Cane you not put together a 2nd and 4th line from whats left?

Higgins gets a bit of a pass because he STILL put up decent numbers for his salary.

Hansen? Im sorry but him, Ricky Schroeder and Weber can all be packaged somehow.

Lol what was wrong with Weber? Great signing.

Almost any one of the present Canucks will be OK on almost any other team. This team however should have been rebuilt after the 2011 cup loss. Even if the team gets rebuilt and a new culture installed it will take a lot of swagger to overcome the refs apparent dislike of Vancouver. Whats amazing is that the Vancouver team has lots of fans all over the league. Maybe one of the Aquillini brothers should take over the reigns like Arther Grifffiths did. Of course it took him a while to "get it". Heck maybe he has advise for the owners.

I think the biggest dissonance is between the Canucks and the fans+media. It's such a toxic environment, similar to the one in Toronto.

If any single Canuck, or the team as a whole, is any sort of slump they will just get fed to the dogs. I know we like to think that since they're paid the big bucks we're allowed to be critical of them, we're "entitled" to a good team, they owe us a cup... etc etc. I'm sure if you could get a few of the players off the record, they'd tell us straight that they owe us nothing.

In a few emotional moments during player interviews, it's funny how they say they play for themselves, their families, and their teammates. During the scripted interviews, they'll always praise the fans and have this "no excuses" mentality.

Truth be told, I think virtually every player puts their heart into it when they play. In the hockey world no term is thrown around more often than "hard work," but I think most players are prone to trying to carry this team out of a slump on an individual level rather than depending on one another.

I can't help, but feel mad for a majority of the players on this team. The fans and media tend to throw so many people under the bus, even the guys who have seemingly been here forever. I really can't understand why anyone would want to play for this team.

Tony G was bang on

He said a lot of truth but he doesn't agree with that. He said:

"Chris Higgins, whose entire career has been given to fits of narcolepsy, has seemingly retired for the year."

But I agree with you. For his salary, Chris Higgins is a bargain. I don't know what Tony was smoking when he wrote that line. Higgins has been working hard most every game. Sure he was floating around with the rest of the team last night but he's usually the last one to finally look around and realize everyone else on the team has thrown in the towel and so he might as well join them.

He's the player that is the only one that can actually play with Kesler's selfish style, mostly through hard work. Many times Kes will, as usual, not use his linemates and fire a useless, unscreened shot and is already starting to skate back to defend or to the bench, and its Higgins who surprises everyone by digging and fighting for retrieval of the puck and Kes turns around and that line continues in the O zone.

Tony G is bang on when he states that keeping Tortorella will condemn the team to playing a style of game that clearly does not work. Gillis has made a ton of moves as GM and not a lot of them have been home runs, but with the young guys apparently coming along, I believe he deserves one more year to see if his moves finally pay off.

Tortorella is out of touch and out of ideas. He has been unable to adapt his approach to the skills of the players he has. He has to go.

Again, though, I wish there was some way to fire the owners, because as long as they are running the show, they will be running the show. People don't get fired because they can't do the work, they get fired because someone higher up doesn't like them. Gillis looks to be on shaky ground, and if the owners don't like him, all the logic in the world isn't going to save his job. One thing is certain, though, and that is that if Tortorella survives the purge, more fans will disengage and more seats at Rogers will be unoccupied.

As for Linden taking over as president, he was a great Canuck but has done zero to show he has any hockey executive ability. If the Aquilinis are even considering hiring Linden, then they clearly have no idea what they are doing.

Archived