The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] President Trevor Linden

Strombone1

Fair enough, then please back your statement that he meant push for playoffs when all we have done the past seasons was make the playoffs. I understand your a believer but please be realistic.

Henrik if you haven't listened to all his past interview, has said it all along he believes in this group and that they can win the cup. He said today along with that no change is needed.

Apple + Banana = Orange

That is your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't think Manny should have come back at all until he was well into his recovery. I am a Manny fan, I am happy he is back in the NHL but I wouldn't sign him and I will not factor nostalgia into it. I am not (and did not) defending Gillis' decision to bring back Manny in the playoffs and I agree it was a poor decision. He should not have played until he had his chance with Carolina. Manny wanted to come back and he shouldn't have been allowed, the players word should not trump a doctor. My point is, Manny should have been shut down, the decision to play in the playoffs shouldn't change the fact that he still couldn't see in 2012.

If that's how you see it I can totally live with that. Player safety in that case should have been Paramount. It's these people blowing smoke up MG's butt when all the facts point to MG making pretty stupid comments regarding the reasoning and timing of his decision. Lot's of these guys just like to argue with anything.

Shoot, I'm no better.

Henrik if you haven't listened to all his past interview, has said it all along he believes in this group and that they can win the cup. He said today along with that no change is needed.

chalky

Did Linden name Hank the GM already?

Or is he still just the captain of the PLAYERS and hence his comments should be viewed in that context?

The media doesn't really care if that person was a great player or person, all they care about is make something to read about and exaggerating . I don't think anyone is immune to that even if it will be Linden. Don't get too naive, you might get disappointed .

Don't underestimate Trevor's popularity amongst Vancouverites and Canuck fans in general. He may not be 100% immune, but the media hacks know that fans will be very supportive of him. It would be in the best interest of the media to give Trev a wide birth. People won't take kindly to reporters that try to slam him; especially before he's been given a fair chance to accomplish the task at hand.

Chalky your just getting immature I don't think I need to say anything more, just listen to the interview yourself and judge it for yourself

You know, you never did say who you write for.

You claimed to be published, correct?

People might take you more seriously if you could back up your opinion.

What does Linden do? Someone please fill me in. Plus anything new on a new GM*??

Thanks guys

Well based on what his vision for the team is I suspect we won't be seeing Burrows or Kesler next season.

And it's definitely not going to be a outsider or newcomer coming into the job. It will be a conventional expected guy (please no Feaster) not a newby. (That's his job lol.)

Don't underestimate Trevor's popularity amongst Vancouverites and Canuck fans in general. He may not be 100% immune, but the media hacks know that fans will be very supportive of him. It would be in the best interest of the media to give Trev a wide birth. People won't take kindly to reporters that try to slam him; especially before he's been given a fair chance to accomplish the task at hand.

Exactly.

That, and the fact that he is respectful back.

Trevor knows the game and has been around the media spotlight in this town for 25 years. He'll navigate that minefield well. Heck, he may even be able to get the CBC to play nice.

Still think letting Gillis go over all this was a mistake. I'd rather not have Trevor as President of Hockey Operations. No to bringing in Shanny. That's like saying the Canucks have to be someone we aren't to get what we want. We were 1 game away in 2011, and 1 away in 1994. No, of course to Feaster. I wouldn't be opposed to hiring from within the Canucks organization. Look at Toronto, look at Tambellini, look at McPhee, look at Burke, look at Quinn. The Canucks have had a lot of their former organization go and coach and manage elsewhere. The Canucks, have (which has been rather interesting), actually cultivating a successful organization since 2000 or so, with Burke. It's been a good run, and they've not missed the playoffs for more than a year in that stretch, despite losing a good season in the lockout.

This is really a different organization than it was pre 2000. Hiring someone qualified from within as a rookie GM seems to me a Linden move.

We were 1 goal away from going out in the 1st round in 2011.

After re-listening to the press conference I came to one conclusion….

Linden will help repair the relationship with the media both in the city and nationwide.

He took the opportunity to allow the media their props, they need that for their ego, and he will be a hard target for them to get personal with. His likability and mutual respect will go along way to allowing his individual message to be taken at face value. Hopefully he can hire a GM with those similar qualities to help augment the franchise facelift.

With any luck, the running of the team can get back to talking about hockey rather than off-ice drama.

Who cares about our reputation with the media?

What I do care about, and what I am fairly sure he is going to go all out on, is he will repair our reputation with the league.

Ergo bye bye Burr and Kes.

Write for what? Published ? What are you smoking, simply it was just on 1040. Please find me published version from the radio, I have no clue what your point of argument is. How can something from the radio from the player himself become my opinion, obviously you seem to want to interpret it as an opinion just because I called it laughable.

the end

Archived